Buff Brides?!

briseis23

Wow Rachie, 2 miles! That is awesome! I can't even run one mile. Oh have any of you tried the "Smart Portions" muffins yet? The banana nut one is awesome, and they are 2 points for 2 good size little muffins on WW. If you haven't tried them yet you should. I hope everyone is having a good day! :)

Thanks, I decided to try running, no matter how slowly I go. It seriously took me oh, 1/2 hour or more to run those miles. So, a 15-minute mile...

Considering I did a 12-minute mile in high school when I was in the best shape and in sports, I don't feel too bad (I think I'm just not a runner).

The thing is, I can walk at almost the same pace (3.8-4.0 mph)! Do you think it is better to run or walk? I mean, the treadmill says that you burn the same amount of calories, but I don't know how that could be, considering after I "run" I feel tired and winded, but if I were to walk I would be fine.

My goal is to do a 5K on the fourth of July, so I'm going to work towards that.

Have a good day, ladies!

I would be so thrilled to be able to run a 15 minute mile! I can only last about 30 minutes total, but I can't run the whole time...I mix running and walking. Oh, and I use the term running very loosely. I can get up to about 4.4mph. I think that the running is better for calorie burning. Do you ever use a heart rate monitor? When I run, my heart rate is MUCH higher than walking, so I know I'm burning more calories.

True, true. I didn't think of that. When I'm on the treadmill I tend to move my arms a lot so I don't continuously have my hands on the heart rate monitor, but yes, it is much higher while running.

Do you have your own heart rate monitor? Is it better to get your heart rate up as high as possible or to just hit your "fat-burning stage" and keep it there? The one time I went to a personal trainer she recommended getting one but I wasn't sure if they were worth all the $.

Also, I must try those Lorna Doone Cookies! Haven't seen the mini muffins but I will keep a look out for them. I'm not a morning person so usually I don't have a lot of time in the morning, but I like to eat a ltitle something for breakfast (love those Special K bars! Esp. the Chocolate or Vanilla! Great for snacking at 90 cal).

I have my own heart rate monitor and I love it. It's so much easier to know how hard I'm working (and sometimes, how hard I'm NOT working) and I really do feel like my workouts are more efficient because of it. Also, I take a lot of spinning classes, so those bikes don't have monitors like the treadmills.

As for the fat-burning/endurance vs. anaerobic exercise, there is a lot of debate. Personally, I do both. I like the benefits of the endurance workout (where you pick one heart rate, at about 65-70% of your max and hold it for the entire workout, which is completely a fat-burn workout). I also like the incredible calorie burn at the higher heart rates. While you burn a lower percentage of fat at the higher heart rates, you burn more calories overall. So, in some cases, you can burn more fat calories at the higher heart rate jus because you burn so many calories. I'm not explaining this very well! Sorry!

I got this from an "off the forum" weight loss friend in my email today. I thought it was worth sharing!

We're taking the guesswork out of guilt-free food shopping. Here is a complete categorized list of Hungry Girl's supermarket staples! Print it out and hit the aisles runnin'! While we included a few of our fave specialty items, this list is PACKED with easy-to-find foods. By the way, keep an eye out for the asterisks -- those are some of our fave recipe ingredients! Then hit up hungry-girl.com and punch 'em into the search bar for easy ways to create new snacks and meals.

Dairy, Dairy Alternatives & Eggs

Kraft Free Singles (fat-free cheese slices)*

The Laughing Cow Light Cheese Wedges*

Egg Beaters (Better'n Eggs, etc.)*

Veggie Slices and Shreds (soy-based cheese)*

Shredded fat-free mozzarella cheese

Reduced-fat grated parmesan cheese

Light string cheese

Yoplait Light Yogurts

Dannon Light & Fit Yogurts & Smoothies

Fage Total 0% Greek Yogurt*

8th Continent Light Vanilla Soymilk (or any other light vanilla soymilk)*

Blue Diamond Almond Breeze Unsweetened non-dairy beverage, Vanilla and Chocolate*

Fat Free Reddi-wip*

Cool Whip Free (in the freezer aisle)*

Coffee-Mate Original Fat Free (liquid creamer)

Coffee-Mate Sugar Free French Vanilla (powdered creamer)

Fat-free cream cheese

Fat-free sour cream

I Can't Believe It's Not Butter! Spray

Fat-free cottage cheese

Cereal

Fiber One bran cereal*

Puffed wheat

Puffed rice

Shredded wheat

Kashi 7 Whole Grain Puffs

Kashi Vive

Barbara's Bakery Puffins

Quaker Instant Oatmeal packets

Meat & Seafood

Applegate Farms sliced turkey breast (or the freshest sliced turkey from the deli counter)

Applegate Farms sliced ham (or the freshest sliced ham from the deli counter)

Canned tuna in water

Bumble Bee Prime Fillet Albacore Steak Entrées

Hormel Turkey Pepperoni*

Skinless, boneless chicken breast

Hebrew National 97% Fat Free Beef Franks*

Jennie-O Lean Turkey Burgers

Jennie-O Extra Lean Turkey Bacon*

Crabmeat (real or imitation)

Shrimp (frozen or fresh)

Veggies

Giant romaine lettuce leaves and cabbage (great for wraps!)

Salad greens

Frozen veggies

Butternut squash (for HG's special fries)*

Onions (for our ROCKIN' onion rings)

Fresh vegetables (your choice)

Baby carrots

Pickles

Canned pure pumpkin (technically a fruit, we know!)*

Fruit

Fresh fruit (we love red seedless grapes, Fuji apples, navel oranges, melons, bananas, etc.)

Canned fruit in its own juice (like pineapple, mandarin oranges, peaches, etc.)

Frozen fruit (berries and peaches are especially good!)

No-sugar-added applesauce

Soups

Campbell's Soup at Hand

Campbell's Select Gold Label Soups

Progresso 99% Fat Free Soups

Low sodium chicken or vegetable broth

Amy's Light in Sodium Soups

Amy's Chunky Tomato Bisque

Tabatchnick Soups (located in the freezer)

Miso soup packets

Packaged Snacks, Bars, Cookies, Crackers, Chips & Popcorn

Quaker Rice Snacks (Quakes, Multigrain Minis, Mini Delights, etc.)*

Sugar Free Jell-O Gelatin Snacks

Sugar Free Jell-O Pudding Snacks*

Nabisco 100 Calorie Packs (you choose the variety)*

Keebler Right Bites

South Beach Diet Snack Bar Delights

Nature Valley Fruit Crisps, Cinnamon Apple*

Guiltless Gourmet Potato Crisps and Tortilla Chips*

Soy crisps (Quaker, Genisoy, Glenny's)

94% fat-free mini microwave popcorn bags (Jolly Time Healthy Pop, Orville Redenbacher's Smart Pop!, Pop Secret)

Fiber One Chewy Bars

Gerber Fruit Puffs & Veggie Puffs*

Breads

Light English muffins

La Tortilla Factory Low Carb Low Fat Tortillas* (or other high-fiber, low-fat tortillas)

Wonder Light Bread and Buns* (or any 40-calorie-per-slice, high-fiber bread)

Western Bagel Alternative Bagels and Alternative Pita Bread*

Ice Cream & Frozen Novelties

Dreyer's/Edy's Slow Churned Light Ice Creams

The Skinny Cow Ice Cream Sandwiches & Bars

Smart Ones Giant Bars (Fudge and Cookies & Cream)

Healthy Choice Premium Fudge Bars

Sugar Free Popsicles

Sauces, Dressings & Spreads

Hellmann's/Best Foods Dijonnaise

Girard's Fat Free Dressings

Wish-Bone Salad Spritzers

Kraft Free Italian fat-free dressing

Smucker's Sugar Free Preserves

Land O Lakes Whipped Light Butter*

Sugar-free maple syrup

Salsa*

Low-calorie, low-fat (or nonfat) tomato sauce

Frozen Foods & Meals

Boca Meatless Burgers (Original)*

Boca Meatless Lasagna

Boca Meatless Chili

Boca Meatless Ground Burger*

Gardenburger Veggie Burgers

Boca Meatless Chik'n Patties

Morningstar Farms Corn Dogs (meatless)

Lean Cuisine Brick Oven Style Pizzas

Lean Cuisine Panini sandwiches

Amy's Kitchen Mexican Tamale Pie

Amy's Kitchen Burritos

Cedarlane Low Fat Garden Vegetable Enchiladas

Kashi All Natural Entrees

South Beach Diet Breakfast Wraps

Beverages

Coke Zero

SoBe Adrenaline Rush, Sugar Free

Diet Rite Pure Zero

Fresca

Swiss Miss Diet Hot Cocoa Mix*

Crystal Light (On The Go, tubs, and ready-to-drink)*

Millstone Coffee

Baking Goods & Spices

Nonstick cooking spray*

Vanilla extract*

Cinnamon*

Splenda*

Mrs. Dash Seasoning Blends

Unsweetened cocoa powder*

Torani Sugar Free Syrups*

HG Heads-Up: Our Ultimate Guilt-Free Supermarket Guide is not meant to be a complete, all-inclusive list. It is merely a list of some supermarket products we enjoy and recommend.

Mandabear is right about the heart rate levels. When I asked my doctor he recommended being in the median range for cardio, or the lower level on cardio if I want to burn more fat, as they believe the higher levels make you lose fat but gain muscle faster.

Thanks, I didn't know that about heart rate levels. I always just assumed that the higher it was, the better. Maybe I'll try to mix it up a little more now with some slow-but-steady exercise within the high-level cardio.

Hey, I just wanted to do a little survey here, too. When are you getting married? Or are you soon-to-be-engaged or already married? Are you getting married on a cruise ship or other exotic destination? Sometimes I wish I were doing that, or at least that someone I know would have a destination wedding so that I could go! It sounds so cool.

:)

I think it's fun to hear about what other people are doing, and was wondering if anyone was in the same boat as me - about 7 months and 30 pounds to go.

I'm waiting for my tax return so I can book my wedding with Princess. We really want the 9 day cruise from NYC in May 2008. So (hopefully) I'm about one year out from the big day. That gives me 12 months to keep working out and (hopefully) lose 55 more pounds! It's a lot, but it's only about 1 pound a week, so I'm hoping it happens.

So ladies, I just started working with a trainer. I don't think my arms have EVER been so sore! And I have now doubled my (pathetic) running time, from 2 1/2 min. to 5 min. before I have to take a walking break. She told me to enjoy the 5 minutes, because next week it would be 7 1/2! I guess this is what I needed though...someone to kick me in the butt.

I've already booked with Carnival for our October 13th wedding aboard the Carnival Glory out of Port Canaveral. We're getting married on board before the ship sails, so we can have our non-sailing guests come and enjoy the celebration without travelling to far (we live in Orlando area).

Manda that is funny about the trainer. I started with a trainer at my gym and they do kick your butt! It's a great jumpstart to your weight loss though and gives you good exercises to do it right.

How many people are you all having at your weddings? Rachie where are you getting married at and when? :)

I am getting married January 4, 2008 on the Fascination. I am having 88 ppl at my wedding so far. I live in CT and we are getting married in Miami, FL so everyone has to travel. Only 7 ppl are attending the ceremony/reception and everyone else is going on the cruise. I wanted a small wedding (20 ppl) but my family is so big that I had to invite everyone (not my choice, my mom wanted me to). I thought that many ppl wouldn't go cuz they have to travel so far and its right after the holidays but I was wrong. It will be a good time either way.

I just started the Buff Brides today and it was a work out. I am really out of shape. So how often does everyone do the DVD? I read the book and it suggests doing it 3 days a week. I was only using the gym for cardio so I will continue doing that. I can do about an hour on the elipitical.

That is funny Pixie! I tried the same thing hoping that my guest list wouldn't go above 40 people. We currently have 14 sailing with us, and 50 non-sailing, thank goodness for the cruiseline caps on how many can go. I think it'll still be fun.

I haven't gotten my DVD yet so I'm not sure how many times a week I'll be using it. I do go to my gym though 3 times a week already, so I'll probably end up pushing the other workouts on my off days at the gym. :)

I'm so excited! Some people at work have decided to have an office "Biggest Loser" contest. We're all putting in $20 and I think it will last for 6 weeks. So maybe that will give me a big incentive. I'm kinda competitive and if there's a chance to win some money, then I think I might try a little harder!

Re: Buff Brides - I actually just ordered the DVD and book too! :) I have 7 months (EXACTLY) to go until my Nov. 23rd wedding date! I've heard that there is a 6 month program in the book, so I plan on doing that. I actually want to start today!

Does anyone know if the DVD follows the exercises in the book, or is the DVD a cardio DVD? Is it easy to match the two programs?

Brise - the Biggest Loser at work - that sounds really cool! Good luck!

Oh, and I am having about 150 people at my wedding, but mine is at home (we're just going on a cruise for the honeymoon). We will have a lot of OOT guests though. Ah - that just reminded me - I still need to reserve a blcok of rooms!

I'm so excited! Some people at work have decided to have an office "Biggest Loser" contest. We're all putting in $20 and I think it will last for 6 weeks. So maybe that will give me a big incentive. I'm kinda competitive and if there's a chance to win some money, then I think I might try a little harder!

Competition is always a great motivator! I wish we could do something like that at work, but it'd be doubly difficult for us. I work in an Italian restaurant...bread...pasta....yoicks! :eek:

My fiance jumped on the wagon today. He wants to get in shape for the wedding too. Now I have a walking partner. We started our own competetion. The one who loses the least inches has to pay for the "winner's" new cruise wardrobe. Unfortunately, he won't let me use my inches lost already. I have to start from my measurements today! :D

Speaking of measurements, I lost another 6.5 inches last week for a total of 12 inches lost in 20 days! :)

Wow Lora, that's amazing!

Tonight I am going to weigh in again. I was doing soo well earlier in the week, working out everyday and eating right, but I'm afraid this weekend I blew it.

Friday night I couldn't say no to Happy Hour with the coworkers, and then yesterday I went to a Cubs game where I had multiple beers, a hotdog, peanuts, and to top it off, pizza for dinner.

So, we'll see what happens tonight. I'm hoping that even if the scale goes up, it might be due to the salty foods, I'll keep you posted. Grrr.

Wow Lora, that's amazing!

Tonight I am going to weigh in again. I was doing soo well earlier in the week, working out everyday and eating right, but I'm afraid this weekend I blew it.

Friday night I couldn't say no to Happy Hour with the coworkers, and then yesterday I went to a Cubs game where I had multiple beers, a hotdog, peanuts, and to top it off, pizza for dinner.

So, we'll see what happens tonight. I'm hoping that even if the scale goes up, it might be due to the salty foods, I'll keep you posted. Grrr.

Thanks! I was pretty excited too! :)

How can you say no to Happy Hour?!? :) When I do indulge, I try to stick to "Skinny Bi***hes" (Bacardi and Diet soda) or the Ultra Beers. Michelob Ultra is on the lower end of calories.

Ahhh....I LOVE the Cubs!! I'm wearing my D-Lee jersey right now! :) We usually go to one or two games a year (it's about a 2 hour drive for us) but since we're trying to schlep money away for the wedding and cruise we're not going to this year. It's easier for me not to drink at the games vs. Happy Hour because I cringe every time I drop $5.50 for a beer! lol

I ditched my scale altogether. For me, it never gives me the "WOW I'm losing something" excitement like doing my measurements does. I don't care what the numbers say as long as I can drop clothing sizes and look good! :)

You want to talk about blowing it this week... I can beat that and it's only Monday! Tonight was my fiances last night of classes ever. We went out to celebrate. Chinese food. Dumplings, spicy chicken, rice, wine, and the most amazing chocolate cake... Grrrrr!!!! My theory... it's just one night. just one week... I just won't get back on the scale until NEXT week!

I think I've got you all beat, we had the fair this weekend with all of the traditional food, funnel cake, polish sausage, cotton candy. How did your weigh in go Rachie? I agree with you Lora the inches feel so much better than the weight sometimes because I know it's going smaller a size. :)

Hi all!

Well, I weighed in last night, and I was up 1.4 pounds. Then, this morning, I was down 2.2 from that. How can I lose 2.2 overnight when all I'm doing is sleeping? I don't get it! So, overall, down 0.8 pounds, but I think I might start weighing daily just to monitor things. I would have loved to know what I was last Thursday BEFORE the weekend, when I was doing really "good!"

You know, I'm not going to worry too much about the weekend, because it took me 2 years to put on 20 pounds while eating stuff like that everyday. So, if I slip up once, I hope it won't do too much damage. Just going to try harder next time to stop from overindulging and also to stay away from beer. I figure drinking rum & diets will work to my advantage - one, they are less calories (I think?) and two, they are more expensive so I will definitely drink less of them!!!

I also think my fiancé is a bad influence on me! :)

He's one of those people who forget to eat (???). But then, he'll eat a ton of crap. Either way, he stays the same, but when I'm with him, I go along for the crap-eating ride. Haha.

Today I forgot to pack a lunch so I'm thinking I will head over to Subway and maybe get one of their new healthy meals with apples or something. I don't know exactly what you get but I liked the commercial!

Have a good day everyone!

-Rach

Hi all!

Well, I weighed in last night, and I was up 1.4 pounds. Then, this morning, I was down 2.2 from that. How can I lose 2.2 overnight when all I'm doing is sleeping? I don't get it! So, overall, down 0.8 pounds, but I think I might start weighing daily just to monitor things. I would have loved to know what I was last Thursday BEFORE the weekend, when I was doing really "good!"

You know, I'm not going to worry too much about the weekend, because it took me 2 years to put on 20 pounds while eating stuff like that everyday. So, if I slip up once, I hope it won't do too much damage. Just going to try harder next time to stop from overindulging and also to stay away from beer. I figure drinking rum & diets will work to my advantage - one, they are less calories (I think?) and two, they are more expensive so I will definitely drink less of them!!!

I also think my fiancé is a bad influence on me! :)

He's one of those people who forget to eat (???). But then, he'll eat a ton of crap. Either way, he stays the same, but when I'm with him, I go along for the crap-eating ride. Haha.

Today I forgot to pack a lunch so I'm thinking I will head over to Subway and maybe get one of their new healthy meals with apples or something. I don't know exactly what you get but I liked the commercial!

Have a good day everyone!

-Rach

Progress is progress, right? :D Good for you! I like to do weekly checks vs. daily. The progress seems so much MORE when you see a larger amount gone at a time if that makes sense! :)

My fiance is a terrible influence as well. He lives for fast food and junk and it's hard to resist when it's right under your nose. Now that he's getting on the wagon with me, hopefully that will change! Subway is good for you though. I love the Club! :)

I do like the weekly weigh-ins for that reason, too. Except last night I was somewhat upset when I went back up 1.4 lbs. So, this morning I couldn't resist checking again and was happy to see things back down.

I know that weight fluctuates quite a bit (at least, mine seems to) but I know that if I keep seeing what looks like a gain after a whole week I will get discouraged. I think perhaps I should switch to measurements too! Or maybe I will do both.

The times in my life where I have been my slimmest I have also been my most stress-free. Actually, it's during times where I forget about trying to lose weight all the time but happen to be getting a lot of exercise anyway (and not neccessary through working out, but just times where I had to walk pretty far everyday). I wish I could do this now, but I'm afraid that if I don't count calories and things I will lose control and gain weight.

Anyone else have experience with this?

Sorry all... my job's "Biggest Loser" contest is 6 months long, not 6 weeks. Makes more sense, huh?! Just thought I would clarify. Starts Thursday. Can't wait!

We just bought the fat free Breyer's the other night. It's really quite yummy! I'm so glad they have it because my grocery store doesn't carry the Healthy Choice ice cream bars for some reason.

RachieLynn, you should try to weigh yourself at the same time every day. You won't weigh the same at 8pm as you did at 8am. If you think about it, when you sleep you are burning calories and you haven't consumed any food for at least 8 hours (and probably more like 10-12 hours). So it would make sense that after eating 2-3 meals, drinking water and other stuff, and eating snacks throughout the day that you'd weigh a little more. Echoing Lovemytbear's comment, you might feel you are making more progress when you weigh yourself weekly instead of daily. I think weighing daily is kinda like watching grass grow... you know something is happening, but it's so minimal that you can't tell.

Lovemytbear is also right about numbers. Especially with the focus I've been doing on toning, the success has been more with reducing body fat and just fitting into my clothes better.

Keep up the great work everyone! :)

Just got called to go out of town for work - we're investigating an insurance claim in Dallas!

At least for the rest of this week I will get my share of exercise since that means being on my feet, walking around on roofs, measuring things, etc. for the next three long days.

Will check back in Saturday!

PS Ok, I decided I am going to weigh myself Tuesday mornings each week, thanks girls for the advice!

Archived