Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lavawalker

I'm having 2nd thoughts re my Mexican Riviera cruise...

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, and new to cruising. We are a family who LOVES to vacation in Hawaii, and have been many times, yet have been wanting to try a Disney Cruise. So, since we live on the west coast and knew the DCL was sending the Magic over to do several cruises to the Mexican Riviera, we thought it was a great opportunity. We have the cruise all booked for summer '08. Now that I have the reservation in place I'm having all kinds of second thoughts..... about seasickness on the ship, and about getting sick from eating food at the Mexican ports. I've done a lot of reading on the net, and even taking precautions, it seems a lot of people still get sick. Why should I spend THOUSANDS of dollars just to be worried about all this? I don't have these worries in Hawaii..... Thinking of cancelling my cruise and going back to Hawaii..... or booking a DCL Caribbean cruise (never hear about people just getting sick on those, just Mexico...) Ugh....I guess I'm a worry-wart, and will never make a good traveler....:confused:

Don't cancel your cruise. I cruised to Mexico a couple years ago and had such a good time that I'm going back! The sea going over to Hawaii is rougher than the ocean around Mexico. If you didn't get seasick then, chances are highly likely that you won't have any problems this time.

I take Bonine anytime I step on a ship and never worry about it.

As far as the food, you can get sick from eating food in US resturants. Do you eat out at home? I ate at a resturant in Mexico and had no problems. Just use common sense and only drink water that is bottled and that you open and eat fruit or vegetables that have either been cooked and/or peeled.

Don't let these worries ruin your vacation. Have fun!

Concerns about food in the ports is way overblown. Just be careful. My rule of thumb is look at the restrooms. If they are clean, the kitchens will almost always be clean. Also, if you don't see the bottle open in front of you, don't drink it. In addition, look at the ice. If the ice looks like it came from an ice making machine, it is filtered.

We were on a 2 week cruise, ate in every port where we stopped and had absolutely no problems. In fact, my wife and I decided that instead of Hawaii for our next winter vacation, we're going to either Zihuatanejo or Puerto Vallarta. We really liked Mexico.

The sea going over to Hawaii is rougher than the ocean around Mexico. If you didn't get seasick then, chances are highly likely that you won't have any problems this time.

I take Bonine anytime I step on a ship and never worry about it.

As far as the food, you can get sick from eating food in US resturants. Do you eat out at home? I ate at a resturant in Mexico and had no problems. Just use common sense and only drink water that is bottled and that you open and eat fruit or vegetables that have either been cooked and/or peeled.

Iggipolka,

I didn't take a cruise to Hawaii, we flew. I'm a new cruiser and that's why I'm concerned about seasickness - never been on a cruise ship. My dd did take Bonine on a catamaran trip and was knocked out the ENTIRE time, which was all day. She is not a small child either - she was 13 at the time...

And yes, I eat out at home several times a week and have never once gotten sick. Maybe I should take that as a sign that I have a strong constitution :rolleyes:

We just returned from the Mexican Riviera on Celebrity Mercury. We visited six ports and neither of us got sick. I took along ginger gum which I chewed on our two whale watching trips. I don't think I needed it, but took it along just in case. (And it won't make you drowsy like bonine can.) My wife wasn't too excited about going to the Mexican Riviera, but now talks about going back someday.

Jerry

Iggipolka,

I didn't take a cruise to Hawaii, we flew.

Woops..sorry. Missed that part.

I take Bonine at night, so if it makes me sleepy that's ok because I'm..well..sleeping! I don't notice any drowsyness during the day.

Really though, dont' worry about getting seasick. The ships are big and have stabalizers to minimize movement.

Not sure what the OP means about "sickness". If that refers to eating food while in port, the obvious solution is to not eat food there. With so much food on the ship, that should not be an issue.

If the OP is referring to norovirus, the main sickness aboard the ships, then that is found on ALL ships in ALL locations. Changing to the Caribbean will not help.

In fact, a hospital in a town near here is virtually closed due to norovius, and it is in plenty of other places including schools. It is more prevalent during the Winter months.

Don't cancel your cruise. My family had the same negative thoughts before we did our first Mexican Riviera cruise on the Carnival Pride in Jan 05. It turned out to be one of the best vacations ever. In March 06 we did the Panama Canal (included Cozumel)on the Coral Princess and in March of 07 will do the extended cruise to the Mexican Riviera that includes Acapulco & a couple more places on the Dawn Princess. In May of 05 we did an all inclusive Mexico vacation in Playa del Carmen (6 days) and and in December of 06 Cabo San Lucas (10 days) and all of the cruises & vacations were excellent. I might add that before Mexico we have been to Hawaii 2 times and done Oahu, Maui, & Kauai (sp?) and had a good time but loved Mexico way more!

On the two cruises we have been on we have never been sick. I can get extremely car/motion sick, but never experienced too much sea sickness on the cruise even when we had 2 or 3 sea days in row. If I felt sea sickness coming on I took a little medicine and felt better immediately.

Don't get me wrong, Hawaii can be beautiful but very expensive. Mexico can be very good for those on a budget or those who can blow the budget too! The Mexican people in the different ports know that the tourists are a main part of their economy and try to cater to the tourist be they at the all inclusive resorts or just in town for a day on a cruise. We have used different facilities and found them to be very clean and the workers pleasant. I have yet to see a bathroom in Mexico that looks like some of the gas station bathrooms we have come accross in our travels here in the USA. If you go with an open mind and do some research on the different forums here on CC or tripadvisor you can make a great success of your Mexico cruise. Happy traveling no matter what you decide!

If you are going to worry about everything until you go you will not have fun in the planning of your trip or going on the trip. I just returned from my cruise from Mexico and loved it!! No sea sickness, no food sickness, great weather! I will be going back again.

Don't get me wrong I want you to go! I just know from my travel experiences with other people is that they don't relax and get sick from worry. If you want to go back to Hawaii great! You will probadly have a better time and your family will have a better time knowing you're not worried about what they eat and drink. Let us know what you decide. This forum is wonderful for getting information and ideas.:) Good luck to you. And Relax. :)

Not sure what the OP means about "sickness". If that refers to eating food while in port, the obvious solution is to not eat food there. With so much food on the ship, that should not be an issue.

If the OP is referring to norovirus, the main sickness aboard the ships, then that is found on ALL ships in ALL locations. Changing to the Caribbean will not help.

Salty, I was referring to eating off ship at restaurants. I realize there is a ton of food on the ship, but we would be off the ship all day...... by any chance I wonder if they pack "box or picnic lunches" for you to take off ship? What I meant by switching to a Caribbean cruise was simply that I have never heard any complaints of sickness when eating at ports on those cruises. It seems to be a Mexico thing...

Lava,

I have been to Mexico many times over the last 20 years and eaten there also. Being in San Deigo makes Tiajuana and Rosarita very easy to get to. I have never had a problem with food or getting sick.

Mexico is very different from Hawaii. It's alot poorer as you probably know, so if you are used to that kind of lifestyle (in Hawaii) then you may have a problem with Mexico.

I enjoy Mexico but it might not be for everyone. Hope you can make a decision. I think it was DoulaRose who said it wasnt worth it if you were going to worry yourself to death, What kind of vacatition would that be. Vacation is about having fun and doing what you like.

Hello Lavawalker - I have cruised both Hawaii and Mexico. Yes I 'prefer' Hawaii, however we are booked on Mercury's 11 day Mexican cruise next month. It is our children's first cruise and we felt it a good opportunity for them to see another culture - which Hawaii really isn't (in the same way).

Mexico is very, very different from Hawaii and you will have to go with that in mind.

Food? - we ate in all three of the Vision of the Sea ports - not a problem. By the way - all three places had VERY questionable washrooms - I never did see a great washroom in Mexico.

Seasickness? not a moment.

No worries - go and enjoy.. Jayna K

alright chill out I've been to the mexican riv over 25 times eat every where, go for it;) :)

ps I've lived on maui for 27 yrs:eek:

Rob

leaving in 3 days on dawn princess to mr for 11 nights:D

It is our children's first cruise and we felt it a good opportunity for them to see another culture - which Hawaii really isn't (in the same way).

Jayna, good point I had not thought of....

DH and I just returned from our first cruise ever which was on the Mexican Riviera (NCL). I was worried about seasickness, norovirus and foreign food. I took Dramamine (non-drowsy), Peptobismal tabs, Imodium AD and anti-nausea medication from my doctor. I also took Purell hand-sanitizer, wash & wipes and clorox sanitizer spray in a small bottle. And no, I'm not a germafobe although it really sounds like it :rolleyes: I'm happy to tell you that I came back with everything I took with me and didn't use anything except the Purell (while we were off the ship...after washing in local restrooms with water from where?) and one wash and wipe (I wiped down the TV remote, the telephone receiver and the door nobs when we got to our room). The ships crew were very vigilant to make sure everyone used the hand-sanitizing stations both coming and leaving the ship, ships restaurants, bars and theatres. My fears were unfounded.

While in Mexico, we ate at Senour Frogs in Acapulco (the food was great and we didn't get sick) and chips and salsa at Carlos and Charlies. Z/X and PV were organized excursions from NCL so I felt comfortable with the food there. We didn't eat at CSL although our friends did at one of the seaside cafe's and they did not get sick.

It is not bad to be cautious. Take what you need to make you feel comfortable but by all means, don't cancel your cruise because of uncertainty. Remember, if you go during flu season, you or any of the other passengers can bring the bug on board. It takes 3 to 5 days for the virus to make itself evident, so you cannot blame the cruiseline or the passengers for what can happen in your own home or office.

As for food poisoning, it can happen in the best of restaurants (although I realize it is rare). Eat where you feel comfortable, pass where you do not.

Lavawalker, we were on the same cruise with Jer1 and the I think the same whale watch. I felt hardly any movement on the Mercury. I got a bit queasy on the whale watch catamaran, but it was very windy that day and the boat swayed a lot. I didn't think to take anything beforehand because I seldom get motion sick anymore. The next week I was on another catamaran for snorkeling and it was totally calm seas, so no queasiness.

Re: food--I would never eat from a street vendor. We had lunches on 4 of our excursions: one on the first Cat., two at beach restaurants before/after beach time and one at Senor Frogs in Acapulco. The food was fine. I wouldn't have eaten anything off the ship unless it was part of an organized excursion and would never drink anything but bottled water off the ship. We had a fabulous time and wouldn't hesitate to recommend the MR. Just use common sense and you'll have a great time.

We visited several Mexican cities on a previous Panama Canal cruise with no sickness problems. We live in the Phoenix area and go to Mexico from time to time and have eaten in many restaurants without getting sick.

Mexico is different from the USA. Take in the differences and enjoy your cruise.

We love Mexico. We've sailed the Mexican Riviera twice in the last 15 months and have another booked over Thanksgiving, plus we're going to Baja (Ensenada) next month. Additionally, we own a time share in Puerto Vallarta. Never have we been sick going to Mexico and DW has a weak stomach.

Eat in the main touristy areas and don't buy food from street vendors. The water in restaurants in the main cities is purified.

Nothing beats a West Coast Mexico sunset!!! Go and enjoy!

lavawalker, people can get sick anywhere, even at home, so don't let that influence you.

If I read your original post correctly, you're going the summer of 08. If so, expect hot and possibly humid weather. My favorite time for visiting west coast Mexican is December through April.

Oldcodger (thats funny) I imagine she is planning the summer since she has kids, Summer vacation. I have to do it. I am lucky that my kids get a break during Oct. so we go then. Weather is a little more agreable.

I love Mexico, but then again I love to travel. A bad day traveling is better than working.

Oldcodger (thats funny) I imagine she is planning the summer since she has kids, Summer vacation. I have to do it. I am lucky that my kids get a break during Oct. so we go then. Weather is a little more agreable.

I love Mexico, but then again I love to travel. A bad day traveling is better than working.

What school district do your kids attend that they get a break in Oct?

La Mesa/Spring Valley. They just started doing it 3 years ago. I like it. They start back to school in the middle of Aug instead of Sept. It's great for traveling. We usually always plan our cruises in Oct. Pretty much out of hurricane season, weather is cooler and less expensive.

La Mesa/Spring Valley. They just started doing it 3 years ago. I like it. They start back to school in the middle of Aug instead of Sept. It's great for traveling. We usually always plan our cruises in Oct. Pretty much out of hurricane season, weather is cooler and less expensive.

Small world....I work in Spring Valley at Bancroft Elementary. We were one of the schools that had been on the year-round calendar previous to the adoption of the "common calendar".

I've been taking October trips for 10 years and I love it. The weather is still nice and it's a great time to visit relatives on the east coast as well. You get to experience fall but can avoid the dreadful winter weather.

Oldcodger (thats funny) I imagine she is planning the summer since she has kids, Summer vacation.

you got it right! If they were in elementary, maybe we'd pull them out, but they are in high school. I can't believe how much work my daughter missed by being out 1 day sick a few weeks back....