Bad business experienced with Juneau Sportfishing

colorado_cruiser

SIL booked an 8-person helicopter and dogsled tour with Junea Sportfishing several months ago. For most of her communication with the company she dealt with Suparna (who we find out later is the owner). SIL was very clear that she wants our group to be on the ice about the same time so this meant staggering the heli departure time. I even called to try and get a confirmation that they will be able to closely stagger our helicopter departure times and also left a message for Suparna a few weeks before the cruise to find out what our tour times were so that I can book a babysitter for my son as soon as we board the ship. She never returned my call. Keep in mind that the company already charged my SIL's credit card for all 8 people months before the tour. My SIL also called many, many times trying to get a hold of Suparna to get the times so that we know what times to book the babysitter. Not once on the week before we left for the cruise that Suparna called either my SIL or me back.

We arrived in Juneau, looking desperately for somebody from the company who'll take us on the tour. My SIL and I basically had the rest of our group waiting by the van that was supposed to take us. The van driver wasn't there so we walked around in search of the driver. We asked around with other tour operators and they pointed us to the "driver" only to have him point us to somebody else. We talked to that somebody else who then goes about ready to load us all into the van, but then asks us what's going on with our itinerary. We told him we didn't know exactly what the times were so he took us over to one of the stands (which had a different company name but apparently was also owned by Suparna's Junea Sportfishing company). The guys there were very helpful in getting us connected to Suparna. They even tried to find out if there was a dogsled/heli tour we can do in Skagway. Unfortunately, these tours were already booked. Of course.

Suparna basically couldn't deliver on the promise she made, but instead of telling us, she avoided to communicate with us. More specifically she totally screwed our reservation by booking 2 people on the 1:15 tour and the other 6 people on the 6:15 tour. It's a 3-hour tour. She offered that she'll have the 6 people back on the ship no problem. We pointed out to her that this was impossible since all guests had to be boarded by 7:30PM since the ship left the docks at 8:00PM. Her suggestion? Then we'll just cut the trip short. We paid over $350 dollars per person expecting the full 3-hour tour. In order for her to get us back on time, the tour would've lasted only 1.5 hours and most likely will not include the dogsledding.

From what I heard of the conversation she even initially refused to give my SIL a full refund!!! The nerve!!!

The whole family and I were extremely disappointened and disheartened to start our excursions in this way. What made it worse was the treatment given to us by the actual company owner. We can't even complain to anybody else since she was the head honcho. While we scrambled around trying to find alternate activities and relayed our experience with other tour operators, they told us that this wasn't the first time they've heard this happen with Suparna.

I guess she thinks she can do this since 1) she's the owner, and 2) the tourists will use her company's services since there's a small number of companies offering the dogsled/heli tour in comparison to the number of tourists -- supply and demand.

I just think it's a very wrong way to run a business.

My family will go back to Alaska when my son is older to appreciate the sights and the excursions, but I know for sure that I'll make sure that the company I use for the next heli/dogsled tour is one not owned by Suparna.

I hope this helps.

You cant complain to anyone else to get something done, but you can definitely let the BBB in Juneau know about the experience. I dont know if it will help your cause, but you might be able to prevent someone else from having a problem. Also, there are lots of CC people out there than can get the word spread. I was surprised to hear that some of the tour people we used on our trip knew about CC AND even knew some of the more frequent posters by name. I wouldnt be surprised to learn that some of them are actually some of us!

Why would you book a glacier dog sledding trip with Juneau Sportfishing??? They DO NOT run this tour and were only acting as a booking agent. Over and over on these boards the glacier dog sledding tour operators are listed. Coastal out of Juneau and TEMSCO out of Skagway- direct booked. If you had such specific conditions- you would have had much better luck booking direct. Sorry for the disappointment, but for other's I post over and over, I never use middle men. In Alaska it is extremely easy to book direct and get first hand confirmations and not phone tag- your questions answered directly etc. Please don't let this spoil your otherwise great trip you reported. You posted valuable information for others.

I did pick up the customer complaint form from the Juneau visitor's center and will be filling it out and sending it today.

As for booking with Juneau Sportfishing, that was out of my control since SIL planned most of the trip including the dogsled, but except for the rest of the excursions. By the time I found out about CC she had already paid over the phone with Suparna. If I had to do it all over again I definitely would've gone with the other companies recommended on these boards. Lesson learned.

So next time around, I'm the one planning the next cruise for the Mediterranean. :) I'm just now beginning to read through the Europe section of the boards.

Wish me luck!

• 1 year later...

Do you know if Juneau Sportfishing books their own fishing excursions or if they simply act as the middle? My dad and husband are going to fish in Juneau (already have plans in Ketchikan), and they are one of the few operators that do not specify a minimum number required.

Assuming you all just got back, have your sister-in-law contact her credit card company and IMMEDIATLEY file a complaint with them. Time is of the essence. They (the credit card company) will try to help you if you follow their instructions, even if you've paid them.

Tell your sister-in-law to look at the back of one of her credit card statements and she will find info as to wha to do, but again time is critical.

What part of the country does she live in?

Do you know if Juneau Sportfishing books their own fishing excursions or if they simply act as the middle? My dad and husband are going to fish in Juneau (already have plans in Ketchikan), and they are one of the few operators that do not specify a minimum number required.

After reading this post I would never do business with them, fishing or otherwise. There is typically a reason why the cruise lines use certain vendors. Sometimes using the cruise line excursion is not a bad idea. It may cost a little more but look what happened here. Maybe part of the extra cost is the fact they have a contract with the vendor to PRODUCE!

I know this won't necessarily be a popular opinion but the alternative is a nightmare.

There are definitely vendors that can be booked direct for a savings that are well known and trusted by those of us that use them and come highly recommended. If you're not using one of them, or the cruise line excursion, then tread lightly and expect there might be a problem.

Archived