Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

annagregg

Splendour of the Seas 17 July - sort of review

Hi all,

Just walked in the door from the Splendour of the Seas seven night Med cruise out of Barcelona. My husband, 4yo son and I in one cabin, and two other couples in other cabins. Short review is: it rocked! Long review to follow.

We were in Cabin 6584 (oceanview), other two couples were in 3577 and 3579 (interior).

Embarkation was easy. Stayed at the Hotel Mitre the night before. Was about a Euro30 cab fare to the port terminal. Took about 20 minutes from getting out of the taxi to walking onto the ship. No problems. Straight up to the Windjammer for a quick bite to eat, then to the pool. 4 year old loved the golf course and was near hysterical over the rock wall (despite the fact he wasn't old enough to climb it!). We were the early dinner seating at 6.30pm, on Table 8. The table was set for ten, but as there were seven on our group, we were the only ones at the table for the cruise. We decided to purchase the wine every night for dinner in advance and paid US$154.00 for seven bottles. There were set bottles of wine that we could choose from each night. Good selection.

Will add to this review when I have had a chance to catch up on some sleep!

We took some shore excursions (through the ship), had a few days on our own and one day at sea.

Thanks

Annalies

Hi Annalies! Thanks so much for posting! You made my day! Everyday I search the boards for any Splendour "returnies" and I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw your post!!!!

Can't wait to hear more!

Could you tell me some of the wines offered on your wine package? Still wondering about packing a few of our own.

Was it too hot in the covered pool area or do they cool it some how?

What time did you board the ship?

So glad you had a good time!!!! Get some rest and then fill us in!

Nanette

Glad you had a great cruise

Tell us everything

Excursions

Food

Entertainment

Will be on the Sept. 4 sailing - Anyone else

Was it too hot in the covered pool area or do they cool it some how?

What time did you board the ship?

We sailed in May and it was hot in covered pool during sunny day. It was very nice at nite ( 11 pm - 1 am ;) )..outside temperature was cold at this time of the night and we were glad we could use "inside" pool.

Time of embarkation.. We arrived at noon and boarded approx. at 12:30 - 1PM. We were able to go to our cabin right away from what I remember but received luggage 2 hours later. During this time we were trying to get some sleep as we couldn't sleep on overcrowded plane! We also went to Windjammer for lunch.

One think that I didn't like was muster drill. Don't get me wrong, I understand all importance of it, but we were standing under the boats for 45 minutes and we were sooo tired after the flight I thought I'd die!!! Some people next to us had to hold their babies during all that time. ( I was thinking of all poor people in concentration camps during the war :( )

My thanks as well for the reviews and info. We are sailing on 8/28 and are experienced cruisers, but first time Europe cruisers. Please post more as soon as you are able. Thanks.

Matt

Okay Annalies, you must have had enough time to rest up now!!!! We need to hear more about your trip!!! A bunch of enquiring minds want to know!;)

Nanette

Annalies

Thanks for the short review, can't wait to hear more. We are on the October 23rd sailing out of Barcelona, spending 2 nights in Barcelona each end of the cruise. Curious as to what ship excursions you did. We arer also planning some with the ship & some on our own. Considering the Florence/Pisa & Rome with the Ship.

Thanks -

Wendy & Tom

We are on the Splendour leaving October 9! I am starting to get excited! We have private tours set up, so I am curious which nights were formal nights. Did they have the Repeater and Capt. Cocktail parties? How did that interfer with your tour days? Wondering if we will be back to the ship on whatever nights they have these. I usually enjoy them.

Thanks

vssy - we were onthe Splendour 2 weeks ago. Formal nights were Sunday and Thursday. There was a Captain's reception on the first formal night in the Top Hat Lounge - picture taken with the Captain then short talk by him and introduction to senior officers. We found that tours were back at the ship by no later than 6 pm so we always had time to get ready before dinner. hope this helps.:)

Isabel

We're booked for April, 2005 and my son will be 4 y/o. Is there alot for him to do? Did your 4 year old participate in the children's activities? We took him on our cruise on NOS last year but he was too young for the activities and he still had a good time, so it's not a deal breaker but I'd love for him to be able to do more this time.

Any info would be great! Thanks!

Do you mind sharing what excursions you have chosen? I am going 10/16 and would love any help with research. :)

I can't believe it has taken me this long to reply....

For those of you who check profiles - I lived in the Cayman Islands, and was a bit side tracked by Hurricane Ivan. Apologies.

First night was quite quiet. Quick look around the ship and bed.

The next morning we docked nice and early in Marseille, France. We chose the Les Baux de Provence tour. All six adults and child did this one. Lovely bus tour with a great tour guide who spoke good English and was very informative (with a bit of humour!!). She guided us through Les Baux and we then had a wee while to wander by ourselves beore meeting back at the bus to return. It is about a 90 minutes ride each way in the way. Les Baux is quite steep and I would not recommend it for young children or older adults. It is (as expected) full of tourist type shops, but not overly priced and nice assistants. The (what I would call) "typical old style" French village on top of a hill.

I'll comment on the general food/wine/entertainment aspects at the end of the review.

The next day: Villefranche (Nice), France. This was my absolute favourite port of the entire cruise. Quaint french fishing village. Just gorgeous. This port more than any another makes me want o go back to Europe. We anchored rather than docked so were tendered in to shore. We took a morning tour:Monaco & Monte Carlo. Scary bus ride - but well worth it. Again the tour guide was great and gave us a running commentary the whole way through. We stopped at the Princes Palace and had a tour through the Monaco Cathedral (the final resting place of Grace Kelly). Monaco was a wonderful, clean, vibrant city. We had approximately 90-120 minutes to wander through Monte Carlo. Then headed back to port. The views were just breathtaking. We arrived back at the ship around lunchtime. Booked Mr 4 into the Kids Club (more about this also) and headed back on the tender for a quick drink at a little restaurant on the waterfront. The other four adults in our party went for a proper walk around Villefranche. It was the most incredible feeling - to be sitting in a lovely picture perfect village on the French waterfront sipping Chardonnay.

Day three: We did not take a tour this day, and stayed on board enjoying the pool! (comments about wonderful and not so wonderful wait staff to follow).

Day Four: Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy. We chose the Rome On Your Own

excursion. We met in the theatre at 7.30am and were hearded off the ship onto buses. The bus ride was approx 2 hours each way. Once in Rome were given a time to back, an excursion sheet (with rough map) and....well thats it. We first headed for the Vatican (as you do in Rome). Just incredible. We had dressed for the occasion (ie: long sleeves and trousers not shorts). The wind through the Vatican and the various rooms was just amazing. The number of people taking photographs (when clearly no photographs were allowed and security guards were everywhere) was just amazing. After the Vatican we took two taxis down to the Colleseum. Worse than NY taxis - they were racing each other. Nigel Mansell eat your heart out. But despite my near heart attack we got there in one piece. Lined up, paid our entrace fee, and took a walk around the Colleseum. Mr 4 year old kept piping up about the bones, and we did we get to see people eaten by the lions, but despite that - lovely place. Lots of street vendors (selling knock offs and cheap stuff but good for a laugh) around the Colleeum. We had lunch at a small dingy pizza place across the road. Good enough for us - but far from gourmet.

Day Five: Naples. We did not take any ship excursions today. All seven of us wandered off the ship (docked) and a short walk (10 minutes) into the longest shopping street I have seen in my life. We walked around for the morning, and headed back to the ship at lunchtime. Two of our group did Naples on the ferry and had a great afternoon.

Day Six: At sea. Ate, drank, hung out by the pool, for the number of people on board, and the confines of the ship it was not as busy as I thought it would be.

Day Seven: back at port. We had one of the later departures as our plane did not leave Barcelona until the afternoon. We had a quick breakfast in the Windjammer. Big queues for the taxi's - I say big - but we probably waited about 20 minutes.

Overall review following.......

Overall review: I chose RCCL because it seemed to be not Carnival and not Celebrity (if that makes sense!).

Food: Good choice each night with vegetarian options and a heart tick option. You could choose from either the regular menu or the regional special. Good variety. Childrens menu was not varied (but I was not expecting it to be). It was always served first and came with ice-cream. Mr 4 was happy.

Wine: We purchased the package wine of seven bottles (one bottle per night) for the cruise. Good regional variety (apologies that I can not remember actual names and varietals), and good quality for pricing.

Dining Room: Clean and well presented. We wee first seating. A group of seven at a table of ten - so plenty of elbow room.

Wait Staff: Well. The first few night we had some issues. Out wait staff wanted us to eat faster than our little mouths could chew. But once she worked out that we realised she was on a timetable, and that we would leave before the next people arrived -she was fine.

Bar Staff: Just phenominal. I can not say enough about Dino - our dining room bar attendent and just all round good guy. By the second night - he knew our names, what we drank and our cabin number. What ever he gets paid it is not enough.

Dining Room Supervisor Person: Not quite sure what his role was. My husband had a birthday the Saturday that the cruise finished, so we ordered a cake on the final night. Not only did he try and give the cake to the wrong person - but got his name wrong. Big thanks to our wonderful wait person who sorted that out before it all became a bit much!!

Rooms: Clean, adequate. As predicted the two couples travelling with us in the interior cabins slept in every day. Mr 4 year old had a pull out bed from the wall. It pulled out about 1.5 metres off the ground and he had a ladder to get up there. He loved it. Once I got over the fear that he was going to fall on my head in the middle of the night - I liked it to.

Entertainment: The Flamenco duo were amazing. The rest I could take or leave - but they were worth it. Cruise Director was funny, sexy and worth another cruise!!

Kids Club: We took Mr 4 for two half days and one evening. At all times they were well supervised with age appropriate activities. The staff obviously cared about the kids, their well being and their activity. Could not have asked for anything more. The pool is well supervised, and there are plenty of activities to kepp kids amused and happy.

Night-Life: Well with a four year old - not alot. Went to the Viking Crown one night and loved it. Cruise staff did a "strip tease". Father in law bought the cruise video just to see me drool on tape!!

Overall: Loved every second of it and can't wait to do it again.

I am an official cruise convert.

I will be checking this site more than once every six months now (promise) so if you have any questions about the cruise, please ask and I will do my best to answer.

Hi...some of you have asked about private tours for the ports on the Splendour. I am going with my family in Oct. and here are the private tours I have choosen. For Marseille, Catherine at www.provence-travel.com. I've herd great things about her and she's reasonable. We are a family of 4, but through Cruise Critic, I found another couple that is joining us. This helps reduce costs and makes it more fun! For Naples, we're on our own. I've heard this is an easy port to do on your own. We're headed for Monaco, Eze, and back to explore lovely Villefranche. For Florence, we're also on our own. This too is easy to do on your own. We're taking the train and then seeing the sights on our own. I've done plenty of homework about where to go. For Rome, I've hired Rich, an American scholar studying there, to do our tour. He's at www.rome-day-tours.com. He sounds great. For Naples, I have booked with Claudio's company at www.limoinrome.com. He also comes highly recommended. I sure this helps! Good luck and happy cruising. Can't wait for ours.

My wife and I were on the 5/14 sailing of the Splendour in the Med. I would be happy to email anyone my lengthy and detailed trip report. We did 1 1/2 days both pre and post cruise in Barcelona. The trip is spectacular!

Ron

would love that review. you can send it to

petra4u@adelphia.net

we go on the same cruise out of Barcelona on Splendour on 7/16/05

Pre cruise for 2 nites, we are staying at the Barcelona Princess.

Picked it up for $128 US per nite

including taxes, breakfast buffet, soft drinks/beer from mini bar FREE !!!

5 mins from beach, 10 mins from middle of town.

on the count down!!!

:)

thanks for sending the review. this trip is so exciting....

my father has never been to Europe or his wife, Joyce.

It is their trip of a life time. I know that no matter what we do,

they will be very pleased. they have also never been on a cruise.

I know they will be hooked !!!

thanks so much for all your help.

My only concern is that we are gong to spend a good deal of time in Monte Carlo and about waiting around on trains. I have to go back and read about it again. But the thing about where to get info is good.

have a great day.

:)

Someone mentioned to me on the phone about a boat you can take in barcelona to see the town from the shore and it is suppose to be pretty good.

did you hear anything about that, Ron.

we are staying in a hotel 5 mins from the beach. I thought it might be great top do since we are in Barcelona for 3 days and 2 nites.

My wife and I were on the 5/14 sailing of the Splendour in the Med. I would be happy to email anyone my lengthy and detailed trip report. We did 1 1/2 days both pre and post cruise in Barcelona. The trip is spectacular!

Ron

Hi Ron,

I am sailing 7/23-7/30 on the Splendour. Can you email your report at kchengotr@yahoo.com . Thanks.

would love your review. We are sailing on August 26th.

scripe1@hotmail.com

Many thanks1