Travel Insurance

Fit Heart

Hi, I booked my cabin on the December 4 Zuiderdam cruise through CruiseValueCenter website. The folks I spoke to there seemed nice, and I heard some good things about them on this board, thank you. My question is, does anyone know much about iTravelInsured, Inc.? I purchased this insurance directly with my cruise from CVC. I was thinking this was complete coverage for cancellations, medical, lost luggage, etc. The info they sent me after I purchased wasn't so convincing of that. It seemed to be just emergency assistance stuff. Anyone have experience with purchasing the insurance right up front with the cruise? The cost was $178 and I want to make sure that it's worth it. I have 10 days to cancel it I believe. Thanks for your help!

Unless we can read your policy no one can answer you. But to give you an idea go to Insuremytrip.com and compare with some there. ensure that emergency evac is at least $30,000.00. See doctor's in other places/countries can be very expensive. The on board doctor just to say hi is $50.00 approx that does not include prescriptions or tests.

You should be covered from the day you leave to the day you come back. Add up the price of your Airline tickets, hotels, and cruise for what you must cover. I never purchase cruise insurance as it does not cover everything except the actual cruise and is more expensive. You need trip cancellation, medical and baggage coverage as well as trip interuption.

If you do not buy insurance within a stated number of days after the purchase of the cruise ticket you may not be covered for pre-existing conditions, so watch the time line. :eek:

We buy trip interruption/cancellation insurance mostly because our parents are ages 99, 94, and 93!

Ours includes medi-vac, baggage, etc. Travel Guard's "Protect/Assist" product waives pre-existing if you purchase when you make the first deposit or shortly thereafter. You may cancel for any reason I think(not sure). For coming cruise we bought their "Essential" policy, which covers only our sickness or anything worse happening to a family member. You insure for the amount you spend up front for the trip (cruise + air, etc.). If you must fly home, etc. they assist you and they reimburse for any costs and you're assured of not losing money.

These independent travel insurance companies have websites and toll free #'s and are very helpful.

Agree with CaptData..Your best bet is to go on-line to "Insuremytrip.com" and compare the packages & prices..For our upcoming Tran-Aatlantic trip, we booked on-line with them & purchased the "Travex-Travel Lite" coverage.. We've had this policy before & have been very satisfied...It covers Cancellation, Interruption, Baggage, Accidental Death, Medical & most important 50,000 Emergency Medical Evacuation...It also was over $100 less than the insurance quoted by our Tour operator..When you book on-line with "Insuremy trip.com", they will ask for your ages & quote accordingly, while most policies sold by tour operators & wholesalers are the same price for all & many times much higher..Good Luck & Happy Cruising..

I am very familiar with itravelinsured. I think there is a big misconception about what exactly travel protection is. Basically it covers you for some of the unexpected, but not everything. There are limits and exceptions that most people are not aware of until they have to file a claim. I think insurance is a good idea in most cases, but be aware of what EXACTLY is covered. Cancellation coverage only includes sickness, injury & death of you, a travelling companion or immediate family member. Job conflicts or change of mind is NOT covered. You are NOT covered if you miss a flight and can't get to the ship ontime. If your baggage is delayed you can only be reimbursed UP TO $100 for any essential item you may purchase. Bad weather or mechanical problems delaying flights/missing connections are NOT covered unless it is for more than 24 hours. They will give you UP TO $150 per day for travel related expenses if your flight is delayed 24+ hours.

Buyer Beware...know what you are purchasing. They DO give you 10 Days as a look over period...do it. In almost all cases, the Travel Protection other than the cruise lines is cheaper. Some cruise lines offer "CANCEL FOR ANY REASON" future cruise credits, whereas other insurance companies offer nothing.

Hi, I booked my cabin on the December 4 Zuiderdam cruise through CruiseValueCenter website. The folks I spoke to there seemed nice, and I heard some good things about them on this board, thank you. My question is, does anyone know much about iTravelInsured, Inc.?

iTravelInsured has a couple of different plans. I'm 99% sure that the plan CVC uses does include all of the usual coverages -- cancellation, trip delay, evacuation, etc.

But if there's any questions about what you've purchased be sure to get them answered before the purchase becomes non-refundable.

You will be able to find a plan on insuremytrip.com for less than that, and the coverages will be spelled out clearly. Unless you are sure the plan offered by the TA provided adequate coverage, I'd purchase a seperate one. Be sure to get one that includes coverage for pre existing conditions. My fear on the ones that don't is that is someting happened, say to a loved one at home, they would have had symptoms earlier than I knew about, and thus the insurance wouldn't pay.

I agree with cruzincurt. I was just on insuremytrip.com for our upcoming cruise. $178 is about the quote I got for my parents who are 74 and 77. You're in your mid-40s. I got a quote for DW and I (a year or two younger than you) for $105 from Travel Safe and $129 from Travelex Travelite. The nice thing about the second is that they include family members under 16 for free.

Hope this helps.

Marc

Archived