Firefighter discount?

groffo1

it's amazing how after 9/11 it was offered everywhere and thanks for the job we do, and how soon people forget. not trying to brag about it, but it faded very fast.

i love my job and not asking for any favors, but it doesn't get the recognition anymore like it did post 9/11

iaff local 36

it's amazing how after 9/11 it was offered everywhere and thanks for the job we do, and how soon people forget. not trying to brag about it, but it faded very fast.

i love my job and not asking for any favors, but it doesn't get the recognition anymore like it did post 9/11

iaff local 36

It's been debated ad nauseum around here, but seriously, where do you draw the line? My husband's a deputy sheriff, shouldn't he get a discount? What about teachers, shouldn't they get one, too? Hey, that trash man has a pretty crappy job, why not give him one, too?

You have to draw the line somewhere, otherwise everyone would be sailing on a huge discount.

It's been debated ad nauseum around here, but seriously, where do you draw the line? My husband's a deputy sheriff, shouldn't he get a discount? What about teachers, shouldn't they get one, too? Hey, that trash man has a pretty crappy job, why not give him one, too?

You have to draw the line somewhere, otherwise everyone would be sailing on a huge discount.

well i hope that if you ever have an emergency someone doesnt decide to draw the line just short of the help you needed.

support your firefighters the life they save maybe yours

btw thank your husband for the job he does for me.

I think Aggieastrosfan is right. I am a former firefighter, and I don't think I deserve a discount for that. I think firefighters have a very difficult job, but so do alot of other people. So I don't think there's any need to back stab her, because you don't agree with her. Maybe you belong on the cruiselines that do offer it since you think you're entitled to it. Just my opinion.

My left foot is bigger than my right. Do I get a discount?

Oh wait, I'm on a diet,can I get a discount for that.

I know someone that knew someone that worked at the coffee truck where they built the ship, can I get a discount.

This topic has been beaten to death several times over.

iaff local 36

Then why mention it?

Tim

Tim,

Come do our job for 24 hours and see the things people call the FD for, compared to all other agencies, and you will have a new perspective. Who do they call at 2am in the morning , when there toe hurts, the cat is stuck somewhere, stuck in an elevator, there house is flooded, not the other people, but us.

So until you walk in our shoes, you will have a one-sided view.

The job is very rewarding, been doin it for 27 years, and continue to love going to work. So yes I am glad I chose this as a profession.

Aggieastrofan,

did you lose 343 brothers on 9/11? no? we did, along with all of the NYPD, Port Authority PD. god bless them!

not to mention that every time a fire occurs your running out will we run in. Volunteer or Career it doesn't matter. Your just one of the people that expects the service, typical typical typical no thanks from you. it just makes you so sick!

Your just one of the people that expects the service, typical typical typical no thanks from you. it just makes you so sick!

I just expect the service because I don't believe everyone should get a discount? Are you serious?

I already mentioned my husband is in law enforcement. So is an uncle. My dad works for the fire department. I don't need ANYONE to tell me how hard ANY of these people work, and the dangers they face - they're in my family, I know this. Another uncle almost died in 9/11. This is not about the job they do, this is about a BUSINESS drawing the line somewhere on the discounts they provide to their guests.

I knew I'd get some flak for my opinion, but that's okay. My family doesn't go around whining that they don't get a discount, and saying someone doesn't appreciate them when they say they shouldn't get one. You can appreciate the wonderful work someone does without thinking everyone in the world owes them a discount.

Perhaps it would be better to suggest that it would be nice if discounts were offered to all that do ESSENTIAL services. This would involve military, law enforcement, firefighters, medical, etc.

I know on some cruise lines (or some cruises) teachers are offered a discount. I don't agree with that one even though my hubby is a teacher. Seniors (55+) get a discount and I don't personally agree with that one either. But I do think that those that offer essential services should get some sort of a perk.

Kim

All emergency services thats right!!! Police, Fire, EMS & Military. anything from a free cup of coffee, to a couple bucks off your vacation... I tell ya i wouldn't mind it. make it worth our while to get away on another cruise!!!

I believe there should be some kind of discount. Local 2546

Give me a break...why would we deserve a discount?

Whenyou take discounts on everything you seem like you feel like you DESERVE a break because your job is risky. Please...you choose to do the job, don't think everybody owes you because of it.

I would rather get a nice letter or a "thank you" than a discount.

As far as 9-11 goes...people will always remember the sacrifice.

All emergency services thats right!!! Police, Fire, EMS & Military. anything from a free cup of coffee, to a couple bucks off your vacation... I tell ya i wouldn't mind it. make it worth our while to get away on another cruise!!!

And THIS is why I don't think everyone and their mother should get a discount, the ones like you who are looking for freebies because you CHOSE a profession you KNEW was dangerous. You ruin it for the ones who are truly just doing their job and were merely asking for appreciation, not a freebie.

Perhaps it would be better to suggest that it would be nice if discounts were offered to all that do ESSENTIAL services. This would involve military, law enforcement, firefighters, medical, etc.

I know on some cruise lines (or some cruises) teachers are offered a discount. I don't agree with that one even though my hubby is a teacher. Seniors (55+) get a discount and I don't personally agree with that one either. But I do think that those that offer essential services should get some sort of a perk.

Kim

I'm in construction..we are essential if you want a new home to live in or an office to work in...where do you draw the line?? LOL :D

Utility workers and waste disposal are also essential people.

All I know is that if there is an emgengcy on the ship I know myself being a Firefighter for 13 years would defintly do my best to help out we all have different types of training this also goes for law enforcement I would think all cruise lines would want to have Firefighter police EMS on there ships I know here in NYC area police can ride the trains for free as for firefighters we have to pay now thats a freaking crime

happy Cruising discount or no discount I love cruising :)

iaff local 36

not anywhere in here does it say that he expects the discount. he was just making reference to the fact that FFs dont get the discounts like they did after 9/11. So whats the deal are you upset that you dont get a discount fot your choice of employment.

There were a half a dozen registered nurses with our group on the Liberty. No one offered us a discount, and we weren't expecting one.

It's pointless to get into a pissing contest about who deserves a discount over someone else, just as useless as it is to debase one vocation because you think your job is more important than all others. Get over yourself.:rolleyes:

As far as I am concerned, a discount should only apply to our military folks. You want to talk about people who really put their lives on the line, start with them.

iaff local 36

not anywhere in here does it say that he expects the discount. he was just making reference to the fact that FFs dont get the discounts like they did after 9/11. So whats the deal are you upset that you dont get a discount fot your choice of employment.

it doesn't matter to me if I get a discount or not. I go on at leat 2-3 cruises a year. it's not all about the discount, but the public perception's of the job and how they depend on us. like I said earlier, I have been in the FD for over 30 years, and paid in Wash DC., a job I really enjoy. wouldn't trade it for any profession.

until you've walked in the shoes of a fellow ff, you just don't what it means to run in when everyone else is running out.

As a wife to a firefighter I think a discount is great and very respectable! These people chose to do this job because they want to help people. Their ENTIRE job is to ensure the safety of others beit fire, medical emergencies, cats in trees, drunks driving and killing people, homeless people calling at 3AM and so on. They also teach children about fire safety and help raise money for countless charities. Why not offer them and other "life saving jobs discounts". I'm not sure why doctors and nurses are not offered, and I feel they should be included. Discounts to trash collectors and coffee vendors--do they save your life? Where would we be without policeman, teachers, military and medical personnel? There is a site that does offer discounts to these people (ff/pd and teachers) and if you want to give me your email address I'll send it to you, I don't think I can put it on here. These discounts are here to thank these people for their services and hard work. Remember when most people are running out, police and fire are running in. I'll bet too that if another huge catastrophy hits anywhere in America they'll all be there helping those in need and we'll come back to this site and these people will be singing a different tune. IAFF Local 493 JMHO:D

Archived