Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sangshreds

Where to stay in Seattle?

Can anyone please help me with this. Me and my wife are taking a cruise to Alaska in May from Seattle on HAL's Amsterdam.

What would be th best area to stay in Seattle (we have to spend a night in Seattle),ie accesible easily to the Pier to get to the ship?

Any hotel listed as "downtown" would be a good choice. There are a couple of nice places down on the waterfront, but the HAL pier is in a very industrial area and there aren't any hotels right there. Closest would be the new one by the stadiums, but I can't recall the name of that one .... maybe ConstructionDude can remember it. Otherwise, you might try the Edgewater or the Marriott. You will want to hop a cab to the terminal, but it will be a very short ride. If you can build a coupla days here in Seattle, there is a ton of stuff to see and do. :)

Here is a link to the new hotel/motel next to the Seattle Mariners Safeco Field. This location would be the closest to Harbor Island where HAL docks. The location is a little south of the major downtown Seattle attractions (Space Needle, Pike Place Market, Waterfront) but can be walked or you can get a taxi which there are plenty of.

I personally have not seen/stayed at the new Silver Cloud so can not vouch for it's condition.

http://www.silvercloud.com/16home.htm

Terry Green

Marysville, WA

Silver Cloud! Thanks Terri!

It's right next to Safeco Field, so you could catch a Mariners game if they're in town while you're here. Also two nice breweries/restaurants right there too, good for dinner. You're also close to Pioneer Square and there are some fun things to see and do in PS .. just be careful in PS after dark on a weeknight ... not BAD, I'd just be cautious. The area around the hotel should be just fine, any night.

We stayed at the Fairmont Olympic which is a $7.00 cab ride (and 5-7 min) from the pier. We liked it especially because HAL gave it to us as a perk. It's a nice downtown hotel with very good service.

GN

GN, I have to laugh it is almost as if I am copying you:D Because you know we are staying at the Olympic courtesy of HAL as well when we do the Noordam. Now with having the SY guarantee I hope to have your same luck;)

I have heard many good things about the Fairmont Olympic both from this board and others I have spoke to so I am really looking forward to staying there.

I like Frommer's travel guides, and here's an introduction to Seattle and Seattle hotels that I find very helpful:

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/seattle/0032010027.html

My own personal (and expensive) downtown favorites are the Sorrento Hotel and the Fairmont Olympic, both historic landmarks. But Seattle has all the big chain hotels and motels, boutique hotels, cheap hotels, and historic hotels. Something for every budget and preference. Another option is the airport, where several major-chain hotels are located, but it's a 20-minute ride to downtown from the airport, more if traffic is bad, and you would need to either take the bus, rent a car, or take a taxi to get downtown.

We've been staying at the Silver Cloud Lake Union for years, when we visit family in Seattle. The new Silver Cloud should be a nice place to stay, if you want to be near the HAL port. (The only thing that might be a problem would be noise from the trains.) Where we stay has free shuttle service to various points of interest, including the two cruise ports.:)

We've been staying at the Silver Cloud Lake Union for years, when we visit family in Seattle. The new Silver Cloud should be a nice place to stay, if you want to be near the HAL port. (The only thing that might be a problem would be noise from the trains.) Where we stay has free shuttle service to various points of interest, including the two cruise ports.:)

Yes, a "thumbs up" from me too, for the Silver Cloud Inn Lake Union.

Another suggestion for the same locale is the Residence Inn Lake Union.

Karin

GN, I have to laugh it is almost as if I am copying you:D Because you know we are staying at the Olympic courtesy of HAL as well when we do the Noordam. Now with having the SY guarantee I hope to have your same luck;)

I have heard many good things about the Fairmont Olympic both from this board and others I have spoke to so I am really looking forward to staying there.

How are you getting this from HAL?? I booked with a TA but am going to Seatle one day early to show the city to mom and still need a good hotel deal.

How are you getting this from HAL?? I booked with a TA but am going to Seatle one day early to show the city to mom and still need a good hotel deal.

Late last year they had a promotion going that if you booked a PH, SA, SB, SC, SS, SY or SZ you got a free nights stay at the Olympic Fairmont. They had a similiar one going for Vancouver as well. I had actually booked this cruise while on the Veendam and it was transferred to my local TA. She got a call from HAL telling her about this for us. I am not sure if the promotion is still going or not. I had originally booked a SC but dropped down to the SY Guarantee. I lost my on board credit when I did this but they kept the free nights stay at the Olympic.

I personally have not seen/stayed at the new Silver Cloud so can not vouch for it's condition.

http://www.silvercloud.com/16home.htm

Terry Green

Marysville, WA

That SilverCloud was just built, completed about two months ago so I would venture to guess it is in excellent condition. However, I have heard that the south seattle (the one hal and princess have used the past few years) cruise terminal will not be used anymore and the ships will now dock close to the other cruise terminal closer to downtown. Someone may be able to confirm this but I have heard rumors about this.

..... However, I have heard that the south seattle (the one hal and princess have used the past few years) cruise terminal will not be used anymore and the ships will now dock close to the other cruise terminal closer to downtown. Someone may be able to confirm this but I have heard rumors about this.

Please see this link to the Port of Seattle, Cruise Information. For this year, 2007, Holland America, Royal Caribbean, and Princess leave from Terminal 30, as they have in the past. There are plans afoot for restructuring the Port of Seattle, but they would not affect cruise ships until 2008. Please see the link to a Seattle Times article. It mentions that Holland America and Princess will eventually be situated at Pier 91, which is just north of downtown Seattle.

Karin

Please see this link to the Port of Seattle, Cruise Information. For this year, 2007, Holland America, Royal Caribbean, and Princess leave from Terminal 30, as they have in the past. There are plans afoot for restructuring the Port of Seattle, but they would not affect cruise ships until 2008. Please see the link to a Seattle Times article. It mentions that Holland America and Princess will eventually be situated at Pier 91, which is just north of downtown Seattle.

Karin

Thanks Karin, this is good to know! From where I live on Beacon Hill I can hear these ships blowing their horns on the weekend evenings when they leave. I'll miss hearing them when they move to the new terminal.

BTW, a few hotels I'd recommend in and around Seattle are The Marriott Waterfront on Western, The Alexis (I think it is on either 2nd or 3rd downtown), any of the big ones (Marriott, Westin, Sheraton) downtown are close to alot of great things in Seattle. Of course The Edgewater is actually on the water and next to the Pier 68/69 area terminal.