Independence to be deployed to UK in 2008

I find this kinda hard to believe...but I have just had an email from a UK TA.....saying that the Independence of the Seas will in 2008 be deployed to Southampton for a full season -May to October !!!!

The email also states that RCCI havent actually announced this info to the public yet and no itinerarys have as yet been decided but it is thought to be doing the Med and Canaries.

I really hope this is true....oh my goodness how cool would that be for UK/Europe to actually have a ship that size over this side of the pond....:D :D ...forgive me please but I am sooooo excited.

Now I wonder when they will start taking bookings :D :D

Well, does make Sense to me.

RCI ist extremely pleased with the Bookings for Navigator from Southampton this Year, so why not position the Independence there during the Caribbean Hurricane-Season?

Makes wonderful Sense and will be great for all European Cruisers!

Cheers,

Phil:)

Since it hasn't been announced, your TA could not possibly know such a plan. Highly doubtfull.

TA's are often notified before public announcements are made to gauge interest or to stir up interest prior to a public announcement. So it is very possible rather than highly doubtful IMO.

TA announcements of a Voyager class ship where posted here months before RCI made an official anouncement.

Since it hasn't been announced, your TA could not possibly know such a plan. Highly doubtfull.

There are a few UK TAs now with this news...so it looks more and more likely that this news is correct.....yippppeeeeee:D :D

Gail- I am planning being on it too ..maybe this time we will cruise together :D :D

Here is the story from Travelmole-

Royal Caribbean International's latest $800 million mega ship Independence of the Seas is to sail in Europe from Southampton next summer.

TravelMole can reveal that the 3,600-passenger vessel is scheduled to make five calls in Madeira en route from Southampton to Tenerife on May 10 and 20 and October 7, 18 and 28, 2008. Details of the calls appear on the Port of Madeira website.

The ship also has nine calls at the port of Gibraltar between June and September 2008. No details of the full itineraries have yet been made public.

Independence of the Seas is thought to be part of a mass deployment of six ships in Europe by Royal Caribbean in 2008 with Navigator and Voyager, Brilliance, Legend and Splendour of the Seas all scheduled to make calls in Madeira.

Independence of the Seas is the third in the company's trio of 160,000 gross tonne Freedom-class ships. The largest cruise ships in the world, they carry 500 passengers more than Voyager-class vessels.

The line's chairman and CEO Richard Fain is due in London on February 26 to make a "major news announcement" about a "major increase in European deployment and new-build ships".

It is thought he will confirm the European itineraries by Independence of the Seas, currently under construction at the Aker ship yard in Finland in preparation to enter service in May 2008.

Royal Caribbean is bringing 3,114-passenger Voyager-class ship Navigator of the Seas to operate ex-UK cruises from Southampton this summer and will showcase Independence sister ship Liberty of the Seas to the UK travel industry at the port in April.

Royal Caribbean signed a £10 million, seven-year deal with the Port of Southampton last September to enlarge the port's City Cruise Terminal.

Port owner Associated British Ports said at the time the agreement to expand the terminal was "so it can accommodate the new generation of large cruise ships," including Navigator of the Seas.

Freedom of the Seas made its debut in Southampton last year before starting seven-night Caribbean itineraries out of Miami where it will be joined by Liberty from May 19.

Royal Caribbean International sales and marketing director Jo Rzymowska declined to comment, other than to say that "all will be revealed on the 26th".

Source:Travelmole

I bet they are going to do what Carnival is doing with the Carnival Freedom, having it do a season in Europe before starting a normal Caribbean schedule. I hate that they are going to do that, I wanted to try to sail on her maiden voyage, but I have been to Europe and don't have any real desire to go back.

I didn't know there was an Independence of the Seas. Freedom and Liberty are the two mega ships with Genesis being the one come next....

Help me here I don't recall an Independence.

Independence of the Seas is the third in the Freedom class ship to be built and will begin sailing in May, 2008. Its name, which was the subject of much speculation for most of last year, was only officially announced in the past few months. The first Genesis project ship won't be introduced until the Fall of 2009. It makes some sense that they would hold the Independence in Europe for its inaugural season and I believe, it is something that has been done in the past with some of their other ships. I noticed that some of the information about this mentioned other ships that will be in Europe in 2008 and didn't see the Jewel mentioned. Would be interested to know what they may be doing with her in that time frame. Any thoughts?

It's fantastic news that RCCL are giving Europe the importance it desrves. This will provide further opportunities for Europeans to cruise on large, latest generation, ships, rather than the usual focus of the American market, which is well catered for already. It will also give a boost to European ports, such as Gibraltar, that has been trying so hard in the last few years to attract more cruise business. Well done RCCL. I hope Carnival will follow suit.:)

I had an E-mail about this and when I read the name independence I thought the same about not knowing about an Independence of the seas. Check out CC I thought and yes here is the answer. I sailed on the Legend out of Southampton in June last year and I think a Freedom class ship would be too big for them to cope with.

I had an E-mail about this and when I read the name independence I thought the same about not knowing about an Independence of the seas. Check out CC I thought and yes here is the answer. I sailed on the Legend out of Southampton in June last year and I think a Freedom class ship would be too big for them to cope with.

Am I wrong in thinking that both the QE2 and the QM2 sail out of Southampton, and that the Freedom used, and soon the Liberty, will be using Southampton for its port of call in the UK. If you read the information Liz posted you will also note that it mentions that RCCL is negotiating with the Port of Southampton about increasing the size of its cruise terminal. Seems like they have your objections pretty well covered.:)

Well looking at the Port of Maderia web site, it looks like this is happening, that's a shame because I was hoping it was coming to Port Canaveral, well I suppose we will have to make a trip back home to England in 2008 and then do the med!!:)

Well looking at the Port of Maderia web site, it looks like this is happening, that's a shame because I was hoping it was coming to Port Canaveral.

I know we were, too :( . Oh well, I'm happy unless they send Mariner to Europe! I did hear on Navigator that when Independence came to the U.S. Mariner would begin short cruises out of Miami. I hope that doesn't happen either :eek:!

Well looking at the Port of Maderia web site, it looks like this is happening, that's a shame because I was hoping it was coming to Port Canaveral, well I suppose we will have to make a trip back home to England in 2008 and then do the med!!:)

Well unless you are keen on sailing on one of her maiden voyages, you could still get your wish, since I believe that Independence will be coming to the US at the end of the season in Europe. Port Canaveral could become its home base, although if I were a betting man, my money would be on San Juan.:)

I bet they are going to do what Carnival is doing with the Carnival Freedom, having it do a season in Europe before starting a normal Caribbean schedule. I hate that they are going to do that, I wanted to try to sail on her maiden voyage, but I have been to Europe and don't have any real desire to go back.

Don't like culture, huh?

Liz,

That is fantastic news. If it comes to be then just like the Navigator coming this year so in 2008 I have just got to be on it :D

I will be looking forward to it's Transatlantic crossing for the winter of 2008 to the Caribbean as long as it's home port for the winter isn't San Juan, be great if it is Port Canaveral or Tampa, both just less than an hour away, just keep our fingers crossed and look out for the annoucements on the 26th.:D :cool:

Will be on the Navigator Transatlantic crossing this April ready for it's summer in Southampton.

John.

Am I wrong in thinking that both the QE2 and the QM2 sail out of Southampton, and that the Freedom used, and soon the Liberty, will be using Southampton for its port of call in the UK. If you read the information Liz posted you will also note that it mentions that RCCL is negotiating with the Port of Southampton about increasing the size of its cruise terminal. Seems like they have your objections pretty well covered.:)

You are correct in thinking that they do sail out of Southampton. The QE2 & QM2 sail out of Berth 38/9 and RCCL ships sail out of Berth 101. Princess ships sail out of Berth 106. Sometimes they do mix it around. Berth 101 is oppersite to Marchwood 17 Port & Maritime Regiment dock. The berth is more than long enough but the building used for Embarkation / Disembarkation would struggle to cope.

Don't like culture, huh?

That was obnoxious. I went to Italy, France, and England and I liked seeing what there was to see, but I feel like I saw what I wanted to see of Europe and now I would like to stick with more tropical places like the Caribbean for my vacations. I am more of an adventurous type than sightseer.

Archived