Pre Cruise Hotel Vancouver

Solara

I just don't know how to use any of those sites like hotwire and priceline. Can't you end up with something you don't want????

Read this thread I started a while back post #22 explains how to bid on priceline and research on biddingfortravel dot com is good too.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=261243

pick by star rating and go with the flow when using priceline, it is a gamble and that is why research is so important it's only a hotel room :)

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone used priceline or hotwire recently for a roon in Vancouver for this summer? I have read numerous posts but they all are from last year...nothing recent. I have never used either and am hesitant to try. If I had an idea of what 4 stars are coming up on those sites I would give it try though. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Today I booked my hotel through Priceline. The other day I tried a bid for $65 and they wouldn't take it.. then I went to $80 and that was not taken.. Finally, today I tried $90 and the Best Western Richmond Hotel and Convention ctr accpeted the bid. Total for one night on 5/15 was $112 american with taxes. Its 10 minutes from the airport and they have a free shuttle.

I just checked the website for vancovour shuttle and from the hotel to canada place is only $12 compared to a $30/$35 taxi.

Hope this helps. I've used priceline all over the US and in Aruba and I always feel I end up with a great savings. I stayed at a Wyndam in Orland for $35, and a Hyatt in Hollywood CA for $65 per night.. =-) Good Luck..

Has anyone stayed at the Century Plaza Hotel and Spa? The suites look nice for a reasonable price.

I have not stayed there. It's been years since I was in the hotel but over those years have passed many times. it is an old time favorite and I understand well kept up. Not a great area but OK closer to Granville Island than the Cruise area's

That said, the Fairmont is a wonderful hotel. Be sure and stop and say Hello to the hotel doggie who greets many of the guests!

The Fairmont with the doggie is the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, not the Fairmont Water Front. The Fairmont Hotel Vancouver is several blocks from Canada Place, on Georgia. I recall the dog is a golden retriever named Maggie, and is available to guests for "walkies." :D

Needless to say, if you can get a room in the summer at the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, it unfortunately won't be $250 a night. :eek:

Ell52 or anyone else local to Vancouver! I know the Fairmont Waterfront is excellent and so is the Westin, but from a local perspective if the price difference between the two was negligible, which one would you choose? I am torn and can't decide! We will be there two days and plan to do the usual touristy things. No car, but plan on using the trolley and cabs to get around. Thanks and looking forward to your advice!

My personal preference would be the Westin, but only because of the proximity to the seawall (I love to walk/run the seawall and Stanley Park). The setting is right next to the water and also a little quieter and greener.

If these things are not important to you and you like to be a bit closer to shopping and dining, then go for the Fairmont Waterfront.

Thanks so much Ell52! We are going to be at the Pacific Palisades for one night after out cruise so we will experience being downtown. We want a nice hotel on the water for the pre-cruise though. I kept hoping I'd lucky with priceline but I gave up and just booked the Westin. I'll have my 7 yr old so being next to Stanley park wil lbe nice as we plan to go there one day. I really appreciate it!

I was able to book the AAA rate of $165 (USD) at the Metropolitan Vancouver for two nights pre-cruise. We arrive on 7/4 and embark 7/6 on the Summit. What can ya'll tell me about the hotel and the area? My DH (I'm learning the jargon:) ) and I are celebrating our 25th. Also, any advice is most welcome!

Yes, we're from Texas...

I was able to book the AAA rate of $165 (USD) at the Metropolitan Vancouver for two nights pre-cruise. We arrive on 7/4 and embark 7/6 on the Summit. What can ya'll tell me about the hotel and the area? My DH (I'm learning the jargon:) ) and I are celebrating our 25th. Also, any advice is most welcome!

The Metropolitan is a nice hotel and with a very good restaurant called Diva at the Met. It's in a good area and quite central to dining and shopping.

How about some good bed and breakfasts?

I've never stayed in either one, but these two B&Bs are very popular and highly rated:

The Barclay House

O Canada House

• 3 weeks later...

We are disembarking from the Sapphire Princess in July in Vancouver... Any suggestions on a spluge hotel for my birthday... the day we get there? What about things to do... we will have most of the day and leave in the morning on that Sunday?

Thanks for any info..

Tory

• 7 years later...

We are thinking of sailing out of Vancouver in October so we contacted cruise friends in Vancouver with regards to transferring from the airport to the cruiseport and they told us that there is a subway system put in for the Olympics it is called Skytrain and runs every few minutes and lets you off less than 100 feet from the cruise terminal.

They didn't mention the cost but that is something that can be easily found out.

We are thinking of sailing out of Vancouver in October so we contacted cruise friends in Vancouver with regards to transferring from the airport to the cruiseport and they told us that there is a subway system put in for the Olympics it is called Skytrain and runs every few minutes and lets you off less than 100 feet from the cruise terminal.

They didn't mention the cost but that is something that can be easily found out.

3 blocks, not 100 feet, but yes straight from the airport to downtown. Cost is $4 (two zone) + $5 airport surcharge, so $9/ea (2.75+5 weekends/evenings). The system is called Skytrain (as most of the system is elevated rail), and the line from the airport is the "Canada Line". At the airport follow the signs (the station is on the top of the car park at YVR) and ride it all the way to "Waterfront" which is the last stop. Exit the platform using the "Way Out - Granville Street" exit (don't go down the tunnel into Waterfront Station itself). Once you're on street level, turn left onto West Hastings, one block turn right onto Howe and 2 blocks straight ahead is Canada Place. You'll walk past another entrance to "Skytrain" but it leads to the wrong platforms/tracks, so don't think you're doing the wrong thing.

If you're in town for a little while and intend to use Skytrain/buses/seabus to get around, you can buy a book of 10 tickets for $31.50 at the airport 7-11 (one level below domestic baggage claim), which is a significant savings as then you skip the airport surcharge.