Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dog lover

Anyone else disappointed with the Golden's music?

After sailing on the 7/18/04 Golden, we were disappointed with the selection the Golden had to offer. It seemed like there was an excess of "salsa" music - yes, I like it, but there was little other to choose from on the cruise! One night, there was a "hoe-down" - which I don't love, but was happy to hear after all the salsa music! And the band "Tenacity" provided another form of entertainment. But you know what was missing???? I don't think I heard Jimmy Buffet the entire week we cruised!! On the last day, we talked to the cuise director, who imformed us that they were planning on making entertainment changes. Anyone else care to comment?

On my 7/11 cruise, I heard Tenacity play Cheesburger and Margaritaville. Also, if you ask them, they will usually play a request.

I'll tell you what I did not like was the band Just Kidding. They were not good at all. Neither was the band that played in the Wheelhouse with the keyboard lady. They really blew.

The "orchestra" played out of tune all the time, too. It really bugged me as a musician.

I enjoyed the string trio and piano player in the atrium on several occasions as well as the house band backing up Graham on Island Night.

We also had Deep Blue too though and they have some of the best steel drum oriented music I've heard.

But I'll tell you want I get tired of hearing is that song "Hot, Hot, Hot" and I hear you on the Salsa music too; too much is irritating.

We sailed on her a couple of times, and had a different experience than you! We found the various venues to be wonderful. There was the piano bar, or for softer music, the little group off the atrium area. There was the disco and the couple of trios, or groups in the mid-ship lounge area. We found it to be a variety of music. Oh, and then there was the typical pool band, the hot, hot, hot band. ;)

When it comes to music I love the string music in the atrium, and of course the hugely entertaining Bert Stratton is great, but being a baby boomer, I would like to know where all the classic rock is? Aren't there enough of us lovers of 70's music out there at sea? I like a variety of music so all of it is fine by me, I just think there is a preponderance of certain types and a complete lack of others.

On the 7/4 sailing there was alot of Salsa music as well. I think it was because the cruise embarked from San Juan and there were a large contingent of Latino passengers onboard. It did seem that almost every day there was a Latino night or something. I too would have enjoyed more 70's music.

We had the same issue last December when the Dawn was doing those itineraries out of San Juan. Even the music in the stateroom on the tv was all Latino. This was one week before Xmas. We mentioned it to the pursers desk and at least they changed up the music in the staterooms. The lounge music was intolerable though! Princess must think this adds ambience for their San Juan sailings. We personally thought they were catering to the hoards of Puerto Ricans who were sailing with us.

We sailed on her a couple of times, and had a different experience than you! We found the various venues to be wonderful. There was the piano bar, or for softer music, the little group off the atrium area. There was the disco and the couple of trios, or groups in the mid-ship lounge area. We found it to be a variety of music. Oh, and then there was the typical pool band, the hot, hot, hot band. ;)

I forgot about the piano bar! We were lucky enough to have Bert Stratton there and my what a treat!

We've sailed the Golden and were very pleased with the variety of music in the different locations. Some was better than others, but it was all good in general. Music, like the food and coffee is in the taste of the beholder... The groups do change out, and rotate from ship to ship regularly, so there's a good chance there will be different groups playing different styles of music than you've experienced in the past... Happy Sailing, Bombero..

Aren't there enough of us lovers of 70's music out there at sea?

I'm with you 100%, Esther!! But they'd have to be careful - don't know how well "Free Ride" would go over with people paying $200/day... :rolleyes:

My family and I were on the 6/13 sailing of the Golden Princess, from San Juan. Personally we enjoyed the salsa music, and the varied atmosphere aboard (as opposed to other cruises, where its pretty much just Americans- maybe this is because we are Cuban-Americans). But, there was music to cater to all on this ship. The latin band played in the Wheelhouse, soft rock seemed to be played in the Explorers, classical music in the atrium, varied music (English AND Spanish) in the disco, and Caribbean music by the pool. I just found it interesting that people would find the variety as a negative- there were lots of Puerto Ricans (and Spanish-speaking people from elsewhere) on this sailing though, and I do think that ALL should be catered to, including those that speak Spanish.