Queen Victoria - World Cruise 2008

KenC

We look forward to meeting you and Chuck - be good to put a face to such a familiar name as yours, 'Calliope'. Hopefully there will be enough CC's onboard to have a drinks get together!! ;)

I'm sure the send off from NYC will be something else - hope we will be able to see something in the dark!!!

Ken

I was on the QM2 in March, 2004 and the send off from Ft Lauderdale was something. There is a high rise condo just before you exit the harbor that looked like a strobe light tower with all the flashes going off.

Don't want to build expectations, but I think this is going to be quite an event. The entire cruise should be special, and never to be repeated.

Time flys and it will be here before we know it.

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Larry

I f only Red Hook in Brooklyn had half the charm of Ft Lauderdale

... or some of the warmth in January!!! How cold will NYC be then??? We are assuming QV and QE2 will sail from the Manhattan piers and QM2 from Brooklyn on 13th - maybe meet up off the Statue of Liberty for a firework display send off.

Hopes are high for a spectacle!!!

Are you on the sailing TravelingMan???

Ken&Phill

january will be Brrrrrrrrr cold, bone chilling cold at Red Hook, though the skies could be clear and sunny...........or not!

No I won't be on the ship.

About to disembark on QM2 however in a few hours for Southampton.

Bob

Would love to be doing that crossing - hope you write a review on your return

Ken

If you're interested you can see our 'ship photo' collection - including QM2 maiden voyage - at http://community.webshots.com/user/kenphill

Cheers

Ken

Fascinating photos, Ken.

Interesting how the 1980's Queens Room looked liked some kind of 70's nightmare - all tubular steel squishy leather square chairs. Just show's how they've been improving the ol' gal over the years.......:rolleyes:

Fascinating photos, Ken.

Interesting how the 1980's Queens Room looked liked some kind of 70's nightmare - all tubular steel squishy leather square chairs. Just shows how they've been improving the ol' gal over the years.......:rolleyes:

Re-posting due to apostrophe disaster.:eek:

Fascinating photos, Ken.

Interesting how the 1980's Queens Room looked liked some kind of 70's nightmare - all tubular steel squishy leather square chairs. Just show's how they've been improving the ol' gal over the years.......:rolleyes:

I actually prefer how the Queens' Room looked then to now - it's full of the ugliest tub chairs and gaudy carpets, could be any cruiseship any where!!

Ken

Hello

I had to go back and look at the photo album to see the Queens Room. That is the way it looked when I was on it. Do not know what happened to my pictures. I thought those chairs were the most comfortable chairs. They remodeled in NYC and those chairs are somewhere in the NYC area. I would like to find two. Amanda, the social hostess on QM2 was the lead dancer on QE2 when I was on it. I did Concorde and QE2 crossing in September, 1988. Still need to do the Orient Express someday. Is it operating?

I looked at the B&B pictures. Hope I get to spend time there some day. Great window treatments and I like the decor. Palm Court dining room is really nice.

My travel in Spetember may be changed. Planning a computer disaster recovery drill. Don't know why a business can't plan as far ahead as I do. The QV trip is not negotiable, but if I have to miss the Spetember, no big deal. It will give me two weeks to take another time before end of year.

Oscar was a beautiful dog.

Larry

Hello

I had to go back and look at the photo album to see the Queens Room. That is the way it looked when I was on it. Do not know what happened to my pictures. I thought those chairs were the most comfortable chairs. They remodeled in NYC and those chairs are somewhere in the NYC area. I would like to find two. Amanda, the social hostess on QM2 was the lead dancer on QE2 when I was on it. I did Concorde and QE2 crossing in September, 1988. Still need to do the Orient Express someday. Is it operating?

Hi Larry - didn't know they ever remodelled QE2 in NYC. Those chairs are a classic design by Lecorbusier from the 20's and are still available - see link http://www.iconicinteriors.co.uk/corbusiersofa.shtml . Very expensive unlike the horrid tub chairs they have now!

Yes, the Orient Express is still running to Venice but it is so expensive - something like $300 - $400 per person per day!!!

I looked at the B&B pictures. Hope I get to spend time there some day. Great window treatments and I like the decor. Palm Court dining room is really nice.

Thanks - we enjoyed designing it (I used to be an architect). We are only 90 minutes from Southampton - you must look us up sometime, Brighton is a fun place to stay.

My travel in Spetember may be changed. Planning a computer disaster recovery drill. Don't know why a business can't plan as far ahead as I do. The QV trip is not negotiable, but if I have to miss the Spetember, no big deal. It will give me two weeks to take another time before end of year.

That's a pity - you had such a good deal on that trip. We loved our CC upgrade on Connie (yes it was complimentary). Hope your company will compensate you??? Glad your QV trip isn't under threat!

Oscar was a beautiful dog.

Larry

What can I say - He was beautiful inside and out, a perfect little gentleman even down to his death! He's been gone two years now and we are just beginning to feel emotionally strong enough to risk having another one - hopefully one that won't die at only six years.

Regards

Ken & Phill

Just saw your fabulous photos...Have been twice yearly on the QM 2 since she first sailed, but not on maiden voyages. Cunard has a great product... and we are booked on the QV, this time the segment from NY-LA, maiden world voyage. Can hardly wait!

My other half Chuck and I will be holding forth on the QV from NYC to LAX. We're really looking forward to it. We too are booked through Pied Piper.

The last time we left on the QM2 from "The Big Apple" we had the eyes of New York on us as we and the QE2 sailed down the Hudson together.

We were at one of the piers in the Village and watched as you sailed down the Hudson. It was amazing all of the people on their cell phones talking to relatives or friends who were on board!

We'll also be with the Pied Piper group on the NYC to LA portion and hope we'll meet up on board.

Jack

Hi Tricyrtis and Cornus (where do you guys get these names??? ;) )

Hopefully we now have enough CC'ers to have our own cocktail party onboard??

One can never have enough accessories or cocktail parties ;)

Ken&Phill

• 2 weeks later...

Hello - just checking in

I went through the travel books and the QV drawings look great. Can hardly wait to see it. My first cruise was Song of America in 198x. I took the book with me because I didn't think a ship could look as good as the pictures. It looked better. How do they make those things float?

I'm expecting the average age of passengers to be between retired and death, so our group should be able to take over the dance club, most others will be sleeping. In 2004 on QM2 the Pied Piper group took over G32. Other fun passengers joined us and it was a delightful experience.

I thought some cabins might open up with the June payment being due, but the ship is still full. Great schedule with lots of sea days. I like spending time in the spa. QM2 gives the best hot stone massage I've ever had. The picture of the spa pool overlooking the sea is nice. You will know where to find me.

Hope everyone is having a great summer. I went to Las Vegas last week end to see Cyndi Lauper's opening of the True Colors tour. It's to stamp out hate crimes. Hosted by Margaret Cho and she just came off the RSVP QM2 crossing. Surprise appearance by Rosie O'Donald. Also had Debbie Harry, Erasure and the Drisden Dolls. Quite an event. Four hours. Have a quick three day week end cruise June 29th. Don't want to lose my sea legs.

Have fun!

Larry

I hate to say it, but don't look for Chuck and myself on the QV next January. Cunard changed our minds for us. There's no way that I want to miss out on one of the QE2's final crossings next year.

Derrick at Pied Piper told me yesterday that the QE2 will have two farewell crossings during October '08. I think that's where we'll be next year!

Hi Tricyrtis and Cornus (where do you guys get these names??? ;) )

Hopefully we now have enough CC'ers to have our own cocktail party onboard??

One can never have enough accessories or cocktail parties ;)

Ken&Phill

Our names come from two of our favorite flowers...Cornus is the scientific name for dogwood, and tricyrtis is more commonly know as toad lily, a neat flower that blooms in the fall.

Looking forward to a fun cruise! :)

I hate to say it, but don't look for Chuck and myself on the QV next January. Cunard changed our minds for us. There's no way that I want to miss out on one of the QE2's final crossings next year.

Derrick at Pied Piper told me yesterday that the QE2 will have two farewell crossings during October '08. I think that's where we'll be next year!

We [Tricyrtis et moi] are doing both! We already booked the NYC to LA on Victoria, and when we got the email from Derek this morning we booked the final *Farewell to America* NY to Southampton. We're even thinking of making it a back-to-back and returning to NY on the QM2.

Jack

Hello - just checking in....

I'm expecting the average age of passengers to be between retired and death, so our group should be able to take over the dance club, most others will be sleeping. In 2004 on QM2 the Pied Piper group took over G32. Other fun passengers joined us and it was a delightful experience.

Larry

Hi Larry

You're quite a traveller!!! Notice you've booked the maiden on Celebrity Solstice - lucky dog!!

Hadn't thought too much about the average age onboard!!! Perhaps as QE2 is doing a world voyage at the same time then that may take the average down a few years :eek:

I'm sure with a PP group onboard that there will be plenty of night life in Hemisheres ;)

Regards

Ken

Sorry to hear that - but I suppose a boy's got to do what a boy's got to do ;)

Ken

Our names come from two of our favorite flowers...Cornus is the scientific name for dogwood, and tricyrtis is more commonly know as toad lily, a neat flower that blooms in the fall.

Looking forward to a fun cruise! :)

OK so my latin and/or botany are cr*p :eek: Think I should stick to Jack if that's OK ;)

Ken

Hi Ken

I am totally addicted to cruising. I'm limited on vacation days from work, so look ahead and make the most of my days. Friday, June 29th I'm doing a three day out of LA to Mexico, and back on Monday morning. I leave work early on Friday and will come in late on Monday, no vacation days.

The hype on the Solstice got me interested, and booked through Derek at Pied Piper the first 30 minutes bookings were opened. Studied the deck plans, picked C1 on Resort deck and got the cabin I wanted, 2105.

I went on maiden voyage of Costa Riveria in 1992, and then was on QM2 on her first visits to many ports in 2004. The celebrations and fanfare are great. Our QV trip should be special.

Are you doing grill or regular dining. I'm in a regular balcony. At first I booked the grill on the maiden voyage of QV, but then switched to this QV voyage. Who wants a balcony in the Baltic in December? I will have to do the grill if I ever get the significent other to travel with. The grill perks on QV are very interesting.

We are going to have a great trip - and with the Pied Piper group on board, it will be fun.

Larry - wish I could figure out how to make my spell check work on this site.

Hi Ken

I am totally addicted to cruising. I'm limited on vacation days from work, so look ahead and make the most of my days. Friday, June 29th I'm doing a three day out of LA to Mexico, and back on Monday morning. I leave work early on Friday and will come in late on Monday, no vacation days..

A man after my own heart - Phill and I are totally hooked too!!

The hype on the Solstice got me interested, and booked through Derek at Pied Piper the first 30 minutes bookings were opened. Studied the deck plans, picked C1 on Resort deck and got the cabin I wanted, 2105. .

Would love to try Solstice or a later sister - but the 7 day Caribbean itinerary doesn't ring any bells for me, maybe when they do something more interesting.

I went on maiden voyage of Costa Riveria in 1992, and then was on QM2 on her first visits to many ports in 2004. The celebrations and fanfare are great. Our QV trip should be special..

Not sure what sort of reception to expect in the Caribbean, Panama or Mexico - Fort Lala should be good though .... and LA, even if it will be time to get off and go home!

Are you doing grill or regular dining. I'm in a regular balcony. At first I booked the grill on the maiden voyage of QV, but then switched to this QV voyage. Who wants a balcony in the Baltic in December? I will have to do the grill if I ever get the significent other to travel with. The grill perks on QV are very interesting. .

We are in an A5 balcony ... Grill prices a bit steep for us over 17 nights!!! The only thing I will miss about not being Grill is access to the Grill dining/bar and sun deck areas - which having been on the same spaces on P&O Arcadia (the first intended QV) are some of the best on the ship!!!

We are going to have a great trip - and with the Pied Piper group on board, it will be fun.

Larry - wish I could figure out how to make my spell check work on this site.

I'm sure it is going to be great fun!!!

Regards

Ken&Phill

Hello Ken and Phill

I am also in an A5 balcony - 5045 - maybe we are neighbors.

I did not know the first QV went to P&O. Looked at their web site and they do not have deck plans, but interesting that the prices are in Pounds. Quite steep with the 100% single surcharge. Cunard only has a 75% surcharge, unless Grill Class. I went on deposit for the QV Maiden voyage in 2004, so was disappointed when the ship was redesigned, but the wait is worth it.

I will get to do the Constellation in September. I'll just fly in for the cruise. Celebrity is providing the air, so probably straight from the air port to the ship. Disaster Recovery Drill at work was postponed until December. I'm on the Monarch for a three day this week end.

Love the sea!

Larry

Archived