Cartegena

jff50

We are on the Island Princess canal transit from San Juan to Acapulco on December 4th, 2007. It is scheduled to stop at Cartegena. I have the impression that cruise ships have not been stopping in Cartegena for the last few/several years. I have stopped in Cartegena twice on canal cruises (about 24 years ago and about 12 years ago). I'd really like to be able to stop there again.

What have peoples experiences been with ships making scheduled stops in Cartegena? Have you done it? What did you do in Cartegena? Did you like it?

We stopped there a few weeks ago.

We took a ships tour but a lot of the time was spent at shopping stops and being harrassed by street vendors everywhere you go!

we wanted to see the historical sites ...we did stop at El popa (sp?) (monestary)

Swung by the fort but did not stop, Maritime museum where we had a pit stop and drink the rest they stopped at shops for emeralds etc...

we did buy some Colombian coffee at the Artisan's market ...check near the middle of the shops for coffee as it was cheaper there than the shop near the end.

We were not immpressed

Do you recommend getting off the ship and doing a tour? We were thinking of doing the tour of the "Walled City" offered by Hal. A walking tour sounds out of the question if you are going to be harassed all the time.

Do you recommend getting off the ship and doing a tour? We were thinking of doing the tour of the "Walled City" offered by Hal. A walking tour sounds out of the question if you are going to be harassed all the time.

It is up to you but you will be pestered everywhere you go.

If you are in a group just say "no thank you " and keep moving ...don't show any interest in what they have to sell.

There were some shops at the end of the dock but we didnot have time to check them out so cannot report on what was there.

I would bet that a bus load of tourists will be harrassed more than two - four people in a cab!

Not sure I'd do anything but a ship sponsored shore excursion in Cartegena.

Having just visited Cartagena last October, I’d like to allay some fears regarding the aggressive vendors. A firm ‘NO’ and showing no interest is all that is required to send them elsewhere. They tend to congregate outside tourist areas and shopping areas such as ‘Las Bovedas’ (originally dungeons in the walls surrounding the old city and now small shops selling various souvenirs etc.) and are non-existent in places such as Pierino Gallo Shopping Centre where they are not allowed (it also has AC to soothe those weary from the heat). I feel that attitude goes a long way to prevent a few vendors from ruining your day. Just show NO interest in their goods and they will bother you no more. Otherwise, they may feel you are playing hard to sell. By the way, I was on a tour for 10 that I arranged online prior to leaving. We were picked up and dropped off at the pier and walked about in the ‘Old City’ unmolested for about 3 hours. Two couples even stayed later to go for a drink at a local restaurant/bar and took a taxi back to the pier. Cartagena is an historic, beautiful and safe city for tourists. It would be a shame to miss it.

Cheers, Bruce

We too are doing a canal cruise in April. I haven't been to Cartagena since the mid 80's. I almost bought a beautiful diamond & emerald ring then. I kick myself everyday that I didn't buy it. Wanted to maybe buy something this time. BUT, unsure of where to go and buy from that will be sure to sell me a real emerald not fake. Anyone with any suggestions? Thanks

Hi, In the aforementioned 'Pierino Gallo Shopping Centre' is a shop called "Mister Emerald". It's owner in none other than the Lee Miles who assisted me with securing the van for my day tour in Cartagena. Check out his web site: http://www.misteremerald.com/ to formulate your own opinion. Although I'm sure you could get a cheaper price 'on the black market' or in a less reputable shop, I think you'll agree that the man's credentials are impressive and, having met the man, I was equally impressed with him personally. Considering the amount of such an item, you may feel more secure that you have made a legitimate purchase there. If you go armed with the knowledge of good quality and prices, I'm sure you'll come to an equitable agreement.

I should mention that the 'Pierino Gallo Shopping Centre' was one of the 'approved' shops mentioned by HAL in their daily news letters sent out on board (that may, or may not, inspire you with confidence) and is one of the stops on their day tour. In addition, many other goods are available at the various shops. My group also stopped by to escape the heat, if nothing else. A few pieces of jewellery were purchased by some of the others and they seemed happy. Lee is also the editor of http://www.destinationcartagena.com/index.html .

I would feel comfortable dealing with him.

Cheers, Bruce

• 2 weeks later...

We stopped there a few years ago on a Princess cruise, and to be honest with you, I've never been so glad to leave a port in my life.

We took the tour up to the monastery, and it did provide a fantastic view, but once down in the shopping district, we had "vendors" hanging in the windows of the bus trying to sell things. Even after the bus was pulling away, they guys were still in the windows, running along side the bus!

The scariest part though was that a man with a sub-machine gun boarded our bus for the ride back to the ship. I never did know if he was the local militia or security, but he did go through all of our shopping bags. It scared the crap out of me and I couldn't wait to get back on the ship. As we sailed away, all I could think was, "never again". That was just my experience, but it's not one I would ever care to repeat!

Has anyone had any experience with either of the two excursions offered by NCL in Cartagena? I am referring to the pair of historical tours, not the Pirate sailing vessel.

Wondering about safety, how much walking, interesting, educational and informative, quantity of street vendors...you get the drift.

Really would like to see Cartagena...but may be from the balcony<VBG>.

Thanks in advance for any info.

DMaC454

Has anyone had any experience with either of the two excursions offered by NCL in Cartagena? I am referring to the pair of historical tours, not the Pirate sailing vessel.

Wondering about safety, how much walking, interesting, educational and informative, quantity of street vendors...you get the drift.

DMaC454

Cannot speak for NCL tours but the Monastery was worth the trip for the view ..not a lot of walking there

The fort is another story ..it is a long walk up to the fort, if you are not in good condition with the heat it could be bad.

There are a LOT of street vendors.

• 5 weeks later...
We are on the Island Princess canal transit from San Juan to Acapulco on December 4th, 2007. It is scheduled to stop at Cartegena. I have the impression that cruise ships have not been stopping in Cartegena for the last few/several years. I have stopped in Cartegena twice on canal cruises (about 24 years ago and about 12 years ago). I'd really like to be able to stop there again.

What have peoples experiences been with ships making scheduled stops in Cartegena? Have you done it? What did you do in Cartegena? Did you like it?

Hi

Noticed that you are on Islands Princess going through the Panama in December. We are also doing this cruise but for the New Year. Is there anychange you could email the Princess Patters to me when you get back. I have been scouring the internet for them but with no luck.

Hope that you have a wonderful time and let us know all about it.

Regards sheryl

• 5 months later...

Archived