Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tbtma

Calica, Close to Cozumel??

Just wondering how far Calica is from Cozumel, actually more specific Pardise Beach. it looks like a wonderful place to hang out for the day.

Bonnie

We could see the island of Cozumel from our ship docked at Calica.

I guess you take a cab to Playa del Carmen and get the ferry to Cozumel.

Just wondering how far Calica is from Cozumel, actually more specific Pardise Beach. it looks like a wonderful place to hang out for the day.

Bonnie

Paradise Beach is located on Cozumel. Calica is a rock quarry that happens to be where the ship docks on the Yucatan mainland. Playa del Carmen is the closest town and is a $10 taxi ride. You can take the ferry from PDC to get to Cozumel. It is about a 45 minutes trip. You would then take a taxi to Paradise Beach.

?? There are several nice beaches right at Playa del Carmen.

Dave

Paradise beach is nice, but the beaches on the mainland are much nicer.

Cozumel is an island that is an extension of the barrier reef. It is completely different soil than the mainland. Even though Playa Del Carmen and Cozumel are about 8 miles apart, they are dramatically different. The beaches on the mainland are incredible. The ones right in town are nice, and the ones just south are even better. I would look to use the beach where the Riu hotels are or by the Gala resort. You can walk out 500 feet and still be in 4 feet of the clearest water you will find!

If I were going to Calica for one day, I would NOT go to Cozumel. I love Coz, but wait for another trip.

is the $10 taxi pp?

Total cost for the taxi. It can be split up between the passengers.

Dave

Hi Dave!! I'm going back to Calica next week on the Inspiration, and I can't wait, last time I screwed up and did the shopping/beach tour and never got to hit the beach in Playa Del Carmen, this time I'm going on my own, so can you recommend some beaches in PDC? I just wanna grab a taxi n head to a nice beach close to town, so when we get tired of the beach, we can grab a taxi or walk to 5th ave shopping area, for food and shopping before time to head back. Gimme some ideas of where to go :D

Debbie

Paradise Beach is located on Cozumel. Calica is a rock quarry that happens to be where the ship docks on the Yucatan mainland. Playa del Carmen is the closest town and is a $10 taxi ride. You can take the ferry from PDC to get to Cozumel. It is about a 45 minutes trip. You would then take a taxi to Paradise Beach.

?? There are several nice beaches right at Playa del Carmen.

Dave

I would just take a taxi to 5th Ave. The beach was nice the entire distance walking back north. You will be asked a couple of times if you wish to use the beach chairs or can they get you a drink. This way when you get tired of the beach, you are not that far from 5th Ave.

If you go to Senor Frogs, tell Charlie that Dave and Michelle says hello. If he does not remember, tell him it was the people who had the taxi hit their rental car. He gave me a couple of free shots when he saw the pictures of the wreck saying it would help make me forgot about it.

Dave

Thanks Dave, I knew you'd know a plan :D

If I go in there, I'll be sure to relay the msg ;)

Debbie

Thanks Dave, I knew you'd know a plan :D

If I go in there, I'll be sure to relay the msg ;)

Debbie

Also by Senor Frogs and the ferry pier, you can do parasailing. In one of the shops on 5th Ave, you will find 1 liter bottle of Kahlua for $8.90. It is $12.95 on ship. If you take a photo of the bottle/price, they will price match on ship. This way you dont have to lug the bottles around.

Dave

OOHHH I didn't know that!! I lugged that big huge bottle of kahlua everywhere last time! I got that weird bottle, the one shaped like a monkey or something..laffs...cute bottle. Parasailing! Now there's an idea for the kids! Thanks Dave! Your the best!

Debbie

Also by Senor Frogs and the ferry pier, you can do parasailing. In one of the shops on 5th Ave, you will find 1 liter bottle of Kahlua for $8.90. It is $12.95 on ship. If you take a photo of the bottle/price, they will price match on ship. This way you dont have to lug the bottles around.

Dave