amalfi coast and pompeii

Trying to decide what to do.

I really would like to see some of the amalfi coast and pompeii, but a private driver is just too pricey for me and my husband (since it's only two of us). I haven't been successful in finding anyone interested in sharing the cost either so let's just say private tours re out of the question.

So my real options are try to DIY or use the shore excursions. I would love to have the flexablitiy of DIY but i do worry about the distances and transportation problems. our next stop is not rome so missing the boat isn't an option. is it possible to realisticlly see both of these areas on your own and still get back to naples?

TIA!!!

yes i am on the disney med trip on june 6 and there just aren't many peoplei have found online on the trip. and most have families they are going with.

I really am ok not doing the driver, but I just don't know if i should attempt a DIY at this port.

I'm trying my luck at getting shares for Pompeii/Amalfi and Livorno (Pisa /Florence) too... We are on the Carnival Freedom July 12th.

My Plan B: Take the hydrofoil to Sorrento....look around...buy a combo bus/train ticket (apparently there are booths to buy these) Take the bus up the hill to the train station. Take the train to Pompeii Scavi....look around...Train back to Naples.....

From what I've read on these boards it's very possible....

Have Fun!:D

wrk2cruz, We are going to do your plans in reverse. We'll take the train from Naples to Pompeii, then after touring Pompeii, continue on the train to Sorrento. Look around and have lunch there, and then take the hydrofoil back to Naples. I've heard this is very doable.

If for any reason we don't want to continue on to Sorrento that particular day, we'll just take the train back from Pompeii to Naples and have lunch and look around there.

• 1 month later...

Funny Bunny

I am a first time med traveler and will also be on the DCL 6/6/07 cruise. We are getting more comfortable with taking the circumvesuviana train to Pompeii and then onto Sorrento and perhaps Capri by Hydofoil. I am going to post a "roll call" for this cruise and at least we can exchange ideas for shore excursions.:)

We just got back from our med cruise a couple of weeks ago. We took the train to Pompeii and it was no problem. We spent a lot of time there, so there wasn't a lot of time for anything else, but we did continue on to Sorrento to look around a little. Saw enough to know we would like to get back to the area again. We took the train back, but the hydrofoil is faster.

I think that you are being very optomistic about seeing everything. Pompeii will take most of your time. Also much of the artwork and riches were escavated and removed from the site and taken to a museum in Naples leaving just the shell of the ancient city. If you are interested in seeing those artifacts, try to visit the museum in Naples.

Hi nomarsgirl

Thanks for the post

How did you get to the train from the port? Did you just buy train tickets at the station and Pompeii tickets at the entrance? Did you use a guide or audio tapes at Pompeii? Was sorrento worth the trip? Any special recommendations?

Your help is appreciated!

John :confused:

We walked to the train from the port. It is about a mile. You will be harassed by cab drivers wanting to sell you a full-day tour. Just ignore them.

We bought tickets to Pompeii at the entrance. They are 11 euros per person (cash only). Audio guides are available and there are also licensed guides waiting at the entrance to put together a group. We just picked up the free map and the guidebook and explored on our own.

Sorrento is pretty and is worth seeing, but we didn't have much time to spend there because we were late leaving Pompeii. If you do go on to Sorrento, make sure you wait outside on the platform for the train. We missed it twice (losing a precious hour) waiting inside the station since the stop is down the track before the station.

You can get a hydrofoil back to the ship from Sorrento, but I'm not sure how far it is from the train station to the hydrofoil pier. We did the train both ways.

It will cost about euro 400 for a van. If you have family it is probably cheaper than taking a ships tour for the day, plus the ones that I have read have not been great reviews - too many people.

The full day ship tours probably run $100 to $150 per person. This is the one port where I would splurge since most ship tours do not offer both Pompeii and the Amafi Coast.

• 1 month later...

Although we went to Pompeii first because it was our priority to have enough time there, if I were to do this on my own again, I would have gone to Sorrento or Capri (not both) first and then on to Pompeii because all the shops in Sorrento were closed in the afternoon for a siesta. We found a restaurant and sat down and had some cheese and a glass of wine, but none of the stores were open to browse in. Also, it makes sense to do your farthest stop first and work your way back toward the ship since you most certainly don't want to miss it.

Just returned last week on the Voyager. We hired a private guide to take us to the Amalfi Coast and then on to Pompeii. If you want to see more than just Sorrento I think a private guide is the only way to fit it all in. The views of the towns beyond Sorrento were unbelievable and I don't think you could get to these and do Pompeii in the same day without a private guide. The guide also told us the train from Naples to Sorrento makes 12 or 13 stops so it could be time consuming. Just my two cents worth.

JohnRobert57

Our port stop is on a Sunday. Will we find anything open in Sorrento or other nearby areas? I am assuming Sunday has no effect for touring Pompeii itself, but what about the transportation. I have been trying to make up my mind on how to do this and am currently leaning towards the dyi version,but am concerned about it being a Sunday.

The first time we were on the Amafi coast we used a ship tour. We spent an enormous amoutn of time in a cameo factory. I loved the area and vowed to do it again the right way! We have since been there another two times and used a private guide...what a difference! I would recomment Nello for your day! info@drivesorrento! Please enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

We were pleased to find Giancarlo and Giovanni at tour of italy dot com. Giancarlo is young, friendly and a great driver. We asked to go to Pompeii and swimming somewhere, and he obliged, and filled in the gaps in between. I would recommend getting a guide book at the cruise terminal on the way off the ship first as it is a long drive, and there is ample time to read about things you are passing. Also note that Giancarlo lives in Sorrento, so he knows the city well.

Good Luck

Archived