Spanx -- No Thanks!

..... but those were the early days when he would do whatever I said!:D

You mean he doesn't anymore?

My DH says he's just my Ken doll. He'll wear whatever I put in front of him.

(however, since he's built like Poppin' Fresh, we don't get too Avant Garde!)

Girdles, petty pants, hip huggers, body suits (with snaps). short shorts, braless shirts, oh yeah and my DH baby blue tux that he wore for our wedding in 1975!!!!.

Judy, I'm with you about the hissy(hysterectomy) I had to do it twice and the first time I had major complications and now 20 years later absolutley NO muscles in the stomach area. Add the pregnacy and oh man...

Does any of the "hold it all in" and "don't breath stuff "work for someone that is about 5'3" 180 and most of it flabby in the waist????????? Any suggestions?

Some of ya'll seem like you are proportinate(sp) in size and I envy that but I know that I will not be that size 10 again (sigh) sniff sniff!!!

• 3 years later...

Hi ladies. I also hear Spanx are great and wish I could find a place local to purchase them....might try Macy's or might take a look at the Target brand. I'm leaving on a cruise Feb. 4th and want to smooth out any bumps under my clingy dress. If I had more time I would just order them on Amazon. I'm glad this string reminded me that hand lotion and dryer sheets are indeed good for the static cling.....I think I threw out my old can of static guard years ago....was never sure what was in it and if it was healthy to breath that stuff...lol. I went to a show call "The Art of Dressing" in Poughkeepsie which really reminded me how important it is to look our best! There was a vendor there who sold Spanx, did bra fitting, etc. But she didnt' have my size left. Have fun everyone!

for any new tips & I must admit I haven't read the whole thing so excuse if this is redundant! My new favorite is a brand called "Yummie Tummie". They're great, nice material & do not roll or ride up (cami's). Yes they're a bit snug but they work! Mine came from Nordstrom's - one from the Rack - & they're about the same price as Spanx.

gerif...nearly fell off my chair laughing ...boy do a remember pettipants.I would say our generation was modest but I remember treasuring my suede hotpants..they're still in a box in the basement!!:p:p

Oh my! Did this bring back some memories!! I can still picture the "hot" pants":o that I wore as a teen. They had suspenders on them...I wore them with a turtleneck (still haven't figured that one out) and of course the knee high boots!:eek:

Now Sherrie Lynn you know we luv pictures!! :D

I honestly wish that I had one...wouldn't that be a hoot? Of course at that time I was stick thin, and no one gave me a second glance.

I imagine any of those old photos are still at my parents home....which reminds me...next time I visit there....burn all incriminating photos!:rolleyes::D

• 3 weeks later...

I love my Spanx! They smooth me without constricting. They do not feel "girdle-y" at all to me (I hate anything too constricting) I have not bought the thicker, more expensive styles, just the regular Power Panties (regular, not high waist). Yes, they were pricey, but they last FOREVER (I just hand launder them). I have wasted so much money on other brands of similar garments, which turned out to be too tight or constructing, did not last, or were just a bad fit. Now I stick with SPANX. I DO buy a size larger than the size chart indicates - and so does my daughter , my sister, my mother, and the friends I know who wear Spanx (I carry most of my weight in the hips and thighs)

I have also worn the footless tights (Which you can find at Steinmart or Loemann's for about half the retail price). I like them too, but they are not as durable as the Power Panties - the thinner material on the legs does run or tear fairly easily.

So it sounds like Spanx are one of those things people either love or hate - perhaps it depends on the body shape.

You mean he doesn't anymore?

My DH says he's just my Ken doll. He'll wear whatever I put in front of him.

(however, since he's built like Poppin' Fresh, we don't get too Avant Garde!)

Referring to your husband as "poppin' fresh" made me spit soda out my nose! Love it!

I love my Spanx, and Nicole (purchased at Boscov"s) undergarments. I have 2 styles---mid-thigh with a regular waistline, and knee length with a high waist. Both style garments don't roll, bite, or do any of the unpleasantries connected with contraptions of this sort. However, I must admit my 1st experience was not so great. I listened to the sales associate and bought the wrong size. Not to be beaten by a piece of fabric, I tried it again but in a different size. Glad to report that my size 10 is happy with a large.

I love my Spanx, and Nicole (purchased at Boscov"s) undergarments. I have 2 styles---mid-thigh with a regular waistline, and knee length with a high waist. Both style garments don't roll, bite, or do any of the unpleasantries connected with contraptions of this sort. However, I must admit my 1st experience was not so great. I listened to the sales associate and bought the wrong size. Not to be beaten by a piece of fabric, I tried it again but in a different size. Glad to report that my size 10 is happy with a large.

Clarification----Nicole's-size large

Spanx-size D

I've just read this thread and am responding to some rather old posts.

I don't like to hear people say "what were we thinking?" when referring to stylish outfits they wore many years in the past. What we were thinking was that we looked wonderful and were very much in style. You know your kids will look at pictures of you now, thirty+ years from now, and wonder what you were thinking in 2011 when you wore what you then thought looked great or what you wore because you didn't care to try any harder. Give everybody a break.

Also, I read a mention of pettipants. I have numerous antique pair that I wear whenever I wear a dress or skirt. This week, I gave a pair to my 40-something daughter who had never heard of them but said they were exactly what she needs under skirts so her legs don't rub together. Maybe they will come back....lots of people don't know what they are missing.

Archived