Children in Specialty Restaurants??

Warm Breezes

We were on the Dawn last June and ate in Cagney's twice:

1.) If the child orders off the Children's Menu (same in all restaurants): NO CHARGE

2.) The child can order anything off the Apetizer, Salad, Soup, Side Dish or Desert sections of the Specialty Restaurant at NO CHARGE.

3.) If the child orders an entree off the specialty menu: Charged full price.

Hope this helps.

What if the child is a 13-year-old? Do the same rules apply? My daughter most often will eat from an adult menu, but in some specialty restaurants (if we even take her to those) I know she will prefer something more basic, or she will just eat an appetizer and salad. Will they allow it?

What if the child is a 13-year-old? Do the same rules apply? My daughter most often will eat from an adult menu, but in some specialty restaurants (if we even take her to those) I know she will prefer something more basic, or she will just eat an appetizer and salad. Will they allow it?

Good question! My 13yo daughter often asks to order off the childrens menu when we go out, she has a small appetite and restaurant portions are way too big for her.

I can't answer about the 13 year old being allowed to order off the Children's Menu. (I don't know why not though.) But anyone, adult or child can eat in the specialty restaurants for free as long as they don't order a main entree. So, the 13 year old could order apetizers, soup, salad and dessert and eat for free.

Thanks Keystone Cruiser! :) My teen DD is not a big eater and I think there are many appetizers, soups, salads and desserts (especially THOSE) ;) that will make her very happy in the alternative restaurants.

Thanks Keystone Cruiser! :) My teen DD is not a big eater and I think there are many appetizers, soups, salads and desserts (especially THOSE) ;) that will make her very happy in the alternative restaurants.

She will do fine

I LOVE the appetizers, soups and salads myself.

I'd skip the entree any day and head for dessert;)

Life is short...eat dessert first!

Enjoy your cruise:)

Keep in mind you can order items without the sauce/glaze or whatever they're adding ...

A steak without the bleucheese topping is sometimes more appealing to children/teens. (you can ask for the sauce on the side so they can try it)

The "kids" food comes from the buffet, so it sometimes takes a little longer for their entree.

The "kids" food comes from the buffet, so it sometimes takes a little longer for their entree.

I have to disagree with that point. In the restaurants, whether specialty or otherwise, my nephew always ordered off the kids menu and his food always came out FIRST. Usually while the rest of us were on the second course if not earlier. Some nights that wasn't a good thing because he would get finished with his meal and then get antsy to go or move around and we were just getting our main courses.

I have to disagree with that point. In the restaurants, whether specialty or otherwise, my nephew always ordered off the kids menu and his food always came out FIRST. Usually while the rest of us were on the second course if not earlier. Some nights that wasn't a good thing because he would get finished with his meal and then get antsy to go or move around and we were just getting our main courses.

We were specifically told when ordering at Cagney's and Bamboo that the food (chicken fingers and spaghetti) would take a bit longer as they came from the buffet. This was the 2/18 Dawn.

When we were on the Star last month we would let our server know right away that my son would be ordering off the kids menu and they would say that they would go place that order first because it was coming from the galley ( not the specialty restaurant kitchen). At the Teppanyaki restaurant ( excellent), my son ordered off the kids menu, and they kept offering, or bringing him everything that everyone was getting, even the filet mignon. They ended up charging us $10 for him and $20 for us. I didn't care, but they should have said if he takes the steak, there will be a charge. He hadn't ordered it, we didn't ask them to give it to him......we thought they had brought out too much and were just being nice by giving it to him.( It wasn't that much, not like a full serving.) Like I said though, he enjoyed it and I didn't mind paying for it.

When we were on the Star last month we would let our server know right away that my son would be ordering off the kids menu and they would say that they would go place that order first because it was coming from the galley ( not the specialty restaurant kitchen). At the Teppanyaki restaurant ( excellent)' date=' my son ordered off the kids menu, and they kept offering, or bringing him everything that everyone was getting, even the filet mignon. They ended up charging us $10 for him and $20 for us. I didn't care, but they should have said if he takes the steak, there will be a charge. He hadn't ordered it, we didn't ask them to give it to him......we thought they had brought out too much and were just being nice by giving it to him.( It wasn't that much, not like a full serving.) Like I said though, he enjoyed it and I didn't mind paying for it.[/quote']

We were in the Teppanyaki last July with others who had brought their young (3 yr olds) with them. The kids were really bad, they spilled things and threw food. Needless to say they did not belong in that restruant and it really ruined the experience for us. So please if you are going to take your youngsters to an adult setting make sure they are managed better than the group we were subjected too.

Yes I do have kids and grandkids and they would never be allowed to act as these kids did. Vicki

We were in the Teppanyaki last July with others who had brought their young (3 yr olds) with them. The kids were really bad, they spilled things and threw food. Needless to say they did not belong in that restruant and it really ruined the experience for us. So please if you are going to take your youngsters to an adult setting make sure they are managed better than the group we were subjected too.

Yes I do have kids and grandkids and they would never be allowed to act as these kids did. Vicki

Vicki: I blame the parents for not controlling their kids. In our group, if the kids even began to act up, then one of us would simply take them out of the restaurant. While I have no problems with children dining in the restaurants on ships or off, I do have a problem when the children misbehave and the Parents do nothing about it. That is irresponsible parenting.

Children will be charged the surcharge if they eat from the specialty menu. If they eat from the children's menu then they won't be charged.

On the Spirit last August, our kids were charged the specialty fee regardless of which menu they ordered off of. The hostess explained it to me that they were dedicating a seat to the child, thus the surcharge.

This happened in all 3 specialty restaurants we ate in on 4 seperate occasions (Teppanyaki, Le Bistro (X2) and Cagney's).

• 3 weeks later...
On the Spirit last August, our kids were charged the specialty fee regardless of which menu they ordered off of. The hostess explained it to me that they were dedicating a seat to the child, thus the surcharge.

This happened in all 3 specialty restaurants we ate in on 4 seperate occasions (Teppanyaki, Le Bistro (X2) and Cagney's).

We just got off the Spirit this weekend and had to pay half price for our kids at the specialty restaurants regardless of whether they ordered from the kids menu or the regular menu. When I questioned this, we were told it had been the policy for quite some time (though we have not experienced it in the past). Needless to say, not very friendly to kids (when the restaurants were not full and therefore we were not depriving NCL of another surcharge)...

Archived