Cell Phone & WiFi Service: Bah Humbug?

yuccaman

Cell phone and WiFi Service: Bah-Humbug, or Yippee?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Cell phone and WiFi Service: Bah-Humbug, or Yippee?

• Forget about it, don't want to see it. BAH HUMBUG!
    • Keep it to a special area: internet cafe or card room
    • Love it, want it, can't live without it. YIPPEE!

One of my great pleasures is stashing the cell phone at the back of the room safe for a week, and knowing that I can always send/receive true emergency phone calls right at the room, or, if I want to, break down and check for emergency emails once in a while at a special address that I 've set up just for this purpose.

I'm freaked that I'll soon see people jabbering left and right on cell phones in the middle of a cruise. Isn't isolation part of the wonder of a cruise?

What do you guys think?

I'm tied to the phone (painful) while not crusing, its great not

using it aboard. I understand the need to keep in contact, but

I wish others would confine the use (while out to sea) to the staterooms

only. (JMHO).

When and if the cruiselines drop charges on calls to under $3 a minute then I'm for no cell phones...........

Until that happens, I will use my cell phone to check on my Mom who is 91 and in a nursing home........3 minutes everyother day on the privacy of my balcony...........then, it goes back in the safe.

I like the idea of the ability to be able to make emergency calls or e-mails, but HATE the idea of people blabbing on the things all over the ship.

DH and I have had a conversation about this. He gets LOTS of calls from his associates at work on his cell phone constantly, and I just know that a number of them will not pay attention to the fact that he's on vacation and will call and bother him with work stuff, given the opportunity. I just don't want our vacation interrupted with that. I told him the cell phones are going in the safe!

I did agree to a compromise. I told him he could give his boss the phone number to reach him via ship to shore service. That way if there is a true emergency, and his boss REALLY needs to get in touch with my DH, he can pay $9.99 a minute for the privilege. I'm hoping it might make him stop and think before picking up the phone to ask DH to walk him through attaching a picture to an e-mail or something similar (this has REALLY happened before - not on vacation but on a weekend).

I want my vacation time to get AWAY from reality, and those cell phones suck you right back in again.

Archived