Underwater Safaris - St Thomas

cpayne

Anyone ever used Underwater Safaris for a dive and/or snorkel excursion in St Thomas? We will be there in Nov for a land vacation and trying to arrange a night dive on a particular evening. Everywhere I go the recommendations is for Chris Sawyer or Blue Island, but their night dive is not on the evening we need.

Appreciate any feedback on this operator.

• 1 month later...

I booked a dive with the Tortola shop for a dive to the Rhone on February 10th of 2004 because HAL did not offer a dive excursion at this location. When I arrive at their shop in the marina, doors were closed and all their boats were secured. The harbor master told me there was an illness in the owners family and the operation was shut down for the last two(2) weeks. No e-mail, phone call or sign on the door. With the help of the credit card company I was refunded the full price of the dive minus cab fare.

No explanation, apology or offer of complimentary dive on my next visit. "You pays your money and takes your chances".

• 2 weeks later...

We were on the Adventure of the Seas and stopped at St. Thomas on Mon. Aug. 30, 2004. We pre-booked a dive excursion with the ship. $90 per person. They used a dive shop right on the Pier, Underwater Safaris. (http://www.scubadivevi.com) Diane met us and she was very personable and knowledgeable, a fantastic host. I’d love to go diving with her again. There were only 4 certified divers with 1 dive master, Katie and 2 discover scuba students with Diane so it was a great experience. We’ve heard that there are often around 40 divers on the boat but maybe that’s in the busy season. One of the divers with us went diving with them last week (he did a back to back cruise) and said that it was a small group last week too. We went on two 35 minute dives (Taos Reef and Cartanser Sr. Wreck). The Reef was beautiful with lots of coral and lots of colorful fish. We saw an 18” diameter sea turtle hanging out on the ocean floor feeding. We got really close to him and he paid us no mind. We also saw fish that burrow into the sand and some really beautiful bright vivid purple tall coral. At the wreck we saw sergeant major fish guarding their eggs that looked like purple paint splotches on the side of the wreck. We also saw two 3’ barracudas, and a hiding lobster. I would do these dives again.

Can you say "Major Cattle Boat"? I dove with them twice last year and thier pontoon was packed.It is a big boat and they do a good job of dividing the group up by experience levels.I did enjoy it enough to go back with them.They handle the diving for Celebrity and HAL.I have been on worse but dont plan on having the boat to yourself.

Archived