Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MillbrookMom

Casa De Campo Excursions for 1st timers

Altos De Chevon is probably about 15 to 20 minutes from La Romana. I seldom take the ships tours unless there is a serious time crunch, which there wouldn't be here. I would recommend just hiring a taxi for a few hours. It would cost less, you can set your own schedule and you can avoid being herded around like a bunch of cattle. Watch out for pickpockets in La Romana (just like every other city), but I don't think there are any serious issues with violent crime there.

I haven't been to the pier that the ships come in on, but I have been to Altos De Chevon. You would definately need a taxi, but it shouldn't be too far away. It really only takes an hour (2 hours max) to see the village, so I would recommend you combine it with a trip to La Romana. You could take a look at my photos to give you an idea.

http://www.pbase.com/2112/dominican_republic

Wonderful pictures! Thanks for all the information.

Altos De Chevon is probably about 15 to 20 minutes from La Romana. I seldom take the ships tours unless there is a serious time crunch, which there wouldn't be here. I would recommend just hiring a taxi for a few hours. It would cost less, you can set your own schedule and you can avoid being herded around like a bunch of cattle. Watch out for pickpockets in La Romana (just like every other city), but I don't think there are any serious issues with violent crime there.

Thank you for all the information. I am beginning to get a feel for this port. So far it seems that Altos de Chavon is a 'must see'. I wasn't going to make this port another beach day, but I keep hearing about the white sand beaches. Maybe we should spend a couple of hours at a beach......hmmmmm.

I hope this thread keeps going for a while so I can continue to check out what others have done!;)

I was hoping to get some good info here as to what to do in DR but I guess that ain't happening since you are scoping out our roll call!! :eek: lol!!!

Well, Terri, it looks like we are going to be the guinea pigs! LOL It just stinks, because with my mother, I can't book an excursion unless I know for sure how far it is from the ship. And if we do book one, and then she's not having a good day with her health, who knows if we'll get our money back. And I don't know if I'm brave enough to take her and the rest of my family, including DD8, out venturing on our own. Hmmm........ :confused:

Do you have to change money if you want to buy something at the flea market

or do they take US money?

Is there anywhere on the face of the planet

that doesn't take U.S. currency?

Most locals are glad for the opportunity to have a few Real Dollars.

I think only in Cuba are there strict restrictions on locals accepting/holding U.S. Dollars,

but otherwise the Yankee Dollar is International Currency!

Does anyone have an email address for Casa Del mar

Thanks

concierge@sunscapecasadelmar.com.do

Shirley Sánchez

Chief Concierge/ Gte. Servicio al Cliente

Sunscape Casa del Mar La Romana

Tel. (809)221-8880 Fax (809)550-3741

http://www.sunscaperesorts.com

I've written to Shirley who is the head concierge at the resort, and she replied back within a couple of days. She seems very nice, although she didn't answer my questions with the detail I had hoped for, including exactly what kinds of food the resort offers with the day pass.

I'll post what she wrote to me, because it contains info that may be helpful to others:

Dear Ms. Brown,

Please receive a very warm greeting from Sunscape Casa del Mar. Thank you for writing to us and thanks as well for your interest in our beautiful property. I deeply apologize for not responding to you sooner.

The price for the day pass is $50.00 US p/person, between the hours of 10:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. It includes food and beverage, activities and the use of the facilities (except for the room). You will be able to take a cab from the cruise port, located 30 minutes away from our resort. The price for the taxi is $35.00 US one way.

In regards to your question about the hospital, we actually have a medical center in the premises in case of emergency.

If you have any further question, please do not hesitate to contact me again. We hope you are able to visit our resort.

Cordially,

Shirley Sánchez

Chief Concierge/ Gte. Servicio al Cliente

Sunscape Casa del Mar La Romana

Tel. (809)221-8880 Fax (809)550-3741

http://www.sunscaperesorts.com

Has anyone checked into, or gotten a day pass to Casa de Campo? I emailed them but have not heard back.

Thanks

Maggie Mae

Thank you for the information. This is quite helpful and did answer one of my questions. The April "We Are Family" cruise is going to be eagerly waiting to hear about the experiences of the October "Royal Explorers" cruise in Casa de Campo!:D

Thank you for the information. This is quite helpful and did answer one of my questions. The April "We Are Family" cruise is going to be eagerly waiting to hear about the experiences of the October "Royal Explorers" cruise in Casa de Campo!:D

Hmmmm - maybe some nice gifts sent to our cabins will determine if we post about CDC or not!!! :D Just kidding!!! lol!!!

Terry,

Thank you for posting the email address. I too am eager to hear everyones experience. I am having a little bit of second thought about Case del Mar. With tow kids and the taxi ride It would be $270.

Hmmmm - maybe some nice gifts sent to our cabins will determine if we post about CDC or not!!! :D Just kidding!!! lol!!!

LOL!!!!! :p :p :p

Hmmmmm.... Sounds like a COOKIE BRIBE will be in order!:D

All of us who are following in the ROYAL EXPLORES footsteps will certainly owe something for all of those wonderful Caso de Campo reports we will surely be getting!:D

OVER HERE OVER HERE!! ME ME ME!!! :D:D :p :p
Do you have anything planned in the DR for your upcoming cruise?? I see you are 'getting' closer to 'Cookie Time'!:D

Do you have anything planned in the DR for your upcoming cruise?? I see you are 'getting' closer to 'Cookie Time'!:D

Hey Stlrboo! :D

I figure what I'm going to do is wait until we're onboard, and find out what I can there. If there is a beach that is within 15 minutes from the port, we will probably do that. Any longer, and I can't take a chance with my mother and her health. If it were just my DH and I, then I would venture out farther, but I can't really 'scope it out' because of my mom. I hope there's a nice beach we can just hang at for a couple hours! I'll be sure to report back when we return...if I haven't been hospitalized from overdosing on Toffee Chocolate Chips! LOL :p

Christie,

I have the same thing traveling with my mom and to some extent my brother. Mainly my mom though, deals with breathing issues stemming from COPD as well as lung cancer, so we can't do a huge amount of walking, climbing, etc. She isn't a beach person, but of course my kids and I are, so I figured I would combine Altos de Chavon for some sightseeing and then the beach. My real concern now is that the little village does appear to be a bit on the hilly side.

I guess we will have to see what we hear from people when they start arriving in port.

Does anyone know the first cruise that actually stops there, so we can begin anticipating some responses?

Thanks,

Donna:o

Does anyone know the first cruise that actually stops there, so we can begin anticipating some responses?

Thanks,

Donna:o

I believe we are all breathlessly waiting for "The Royal Explorers" to scope out this wonderful new 'unexplored land' for us in October. At least from the cruise ship passenger perspective!;)

Christie,

I have the same thing traveling with my mom and to some extent my brother. Mainly my mom though, deals with breathing issues stemming from COPD as well as lung cancer, so we can't do a huge amount of walking, climbing, etc. She isn't a beach person, but of course my kids and I are, so I figured I would combine Altos de Chavon for some sightseeing and then the beach. My real concern now is that the little village does appear to be a bit on the hilly side.

That seems like a good idea, Donna. You know where I'm coming from then! I figure if something is only about 15 mins from the boat, if there's a problem, we can hop in a cab and I can get her on the ship to the ship's doctor if I need to. But venturing out in unchartered areas makes me nervous with her around...I don't want to take ANY chances!!!! lol

I'll be sure to report back what we did. If anything! lol

Thanks Christie.. can't wait to hear from someone who actually sees the place first hand this year. Is yours the first itinerary stopping at this port?

Thanks Christie.. can't wait to hear from someone who actually sees the place first hand this year. Is yours the first itinerary stopping at this port?

If I'm not mistaken, I think an RCI ship stopped there earlier this year, but I think we're the first of the "regulars" who will be stopping there. There's so little information on it, but supposedly they're building it up to be more of a port like the rest of them.

I hate being a guinea pig! LOL

If I'm not mistaken, I think an RCI ship stopped there earlier this year, but I think we're the first of the "regulars" who will be stopping there. There's so little information on it, but supposedly they're building it up to be more of a port like the rest of them.

I hate being a guinea pig! LOL

Just think of yourself as a second Christopher Columbus to visit this island. Truly "Explorers" sent out to report their findings back to the people at home.:D

Enjoy your cruise with your Mom, Christie. While we were on the Jewel last year we had both our Moms with us. My Mom was 75 & my MIL was 83 at the time. We had a wondeful time. Then, last Christmas my MIL had a massive stroke. She is now totally incapacitated in a nursing home and it is only a matter of time. We were just saying last night how grateful we are that she got to cruise with us that last time. She had a ball.:)

Just think of yourself as a second Christopher Columbus to visit this island. Truly "Explorers" sent out to report their findings back to the people at home.:D

Enjoy your cruise with your Mom, Christie. While we were on the Jewel last year we had both our Moms with us. My Mom was 75 & my MIL was 83 at the time. We had a wondeful time. Then, last Christmas my MIL had a massive stroke. She is now totally incapacitated in a nursing home and it is only a matter of time. We were just saying last night how grateful we are that she got to cruise with us that last time. She had a ball.:)

Thanks, Ginny! Sorry to hear about your MIL...been there with my own grandmother and it stinks. :( Glad you had a great cruise with her though! My mother is like the energizer bunny...she is NON-STOP despite her myriads of health problems. She's only 55 but what she's been though and still goes through is amazing. Yet she doesn't let it keep her down, she hates thinking about it even, but still we always have to be prepared. BLAH!

Ok, just call me Christie Columbus and when/if I set foot on Casa De Campo, I will be sure to keep a log of what it was like! :D