Casa De Campo Excursions for 1st timers

MillbrookMom

Hello All -

I've peeking on this thread every now and again, but haven't had too much time to chat.

I've been anxiously awaiting the reports from the current cruise, but just saw that they were re-routed.

I'm on the next itinerary on Explorer, leaving 11/23. We'll see what they say over the next few days and if nothing changes, then hopefully I will have some information to report when we get back on 12/2.

We haven't decided what we are doing here yet, but are tossing a few things around.

Take care all -

Your mission, should you decide to accept it . . . ;) :D

Silly question, but where was the Explorer re-routed due to the storm? Also, does anyone know how bad the port area got hit? We are leaving in 60 days on the Explorer and cannot wait. Also, which tour is the cave tour? I didn't see anything about caves on the shore excursion list. Thanks for the help!

Corinne

Sorry all!!!! Would have loved to give some report on DR but we went to St. Martin instead. A lot of people were very happy about that too!!! So who is next on the list to give a review?? We did think about you all when we found out that we weren't going.

Sorry all!!!! Would have loved to give some report on DR but we went to St. Martin instead. A lot of people were very happy about that too!!! So who is next on the list to give a review?? We did think about you all when we found out that we weren't going.

That is true! Both parts - about being happy about St. Maarten AND about the fact we wouldn't have anything to report back to you guys! :( So sorry!! But St. Maarten was a VERY huge relief after what we were going through! LOL

Hi guys!

I feel the need to help you out with some info about the Dominican Republic as there is not much of it on these boards. I am from the Dominican Republic, live in Santo Domingo and frequently visit Casa de Campo as we have a family villa there.

First of all, about Tropical Storm Noel. Noel just passed over the Dominican Republic, no wind at all but lots of rain. The most damage was done to the southwest part of the island and specifically to small country towns that were too close to rivers. The affected areas are nowhere close to tourist ports, so I wouldn’t worry about it. I don't expect more reroutings on the upcoming weeks. Things are rapidly returning to normal everywhere.

Most cruise lines dock in the port in La Romana. Casa de Campo is located in La Romana, about 5 minutes from the port if a taxi is taken. I don’t have too much info on the actual cruise package excursions as I haven’t done any of the arranged packages, but if you tell me about what’s being offered, I can give you my opinion on it.

Casa de Campo is a very nice resort with many villas divided in areas (like neighborhoods) so it is indeed a small city on its own. It is very beautiful and has many different things to do. I expect that there may be a fee for enjoying the different activities and facilities at Casa de Campo for a day. It shouldn’t be too much, and worth it IMO. If you want to go to the beach, “Minitas” in Casa de Campo, is the closest to the port, but you’ll need a taxi to get there. Other tourist areas near Casa de Campo are “Bayahibe” and Dominicus. The beaches there are great, with soft white sand. However, they are more than 30 minutes away from Casa de Campo, so I wouldn’t recommend going there if on a one day stop with a cruise.

Casa de Campo Website:

http://www.casadecampo.com.do/

Sports and activities in Casa de Campo:

http://www.casadecampo.com.do/en/sports/index.asp

The main attraction of Casa de Campo are its golf courses. If you like golfing (and you have enough time) you’re in for a treat. “Teeth of the Dog” is constantly ranked as one of the 50 best courses in the world, with many holes located right next to the sea. It is absolutely breathtaking. Another great course is “Dye Fore” which runs right next to the Chavon River over hills overlooking both the Chavón River and the Caribbean sea. Both golf courses were designed by Pete Dye. Highly recommended. The other courses, “Links” and the “Romana Country Club” are also very, very nice. All of them are 18 holes, with the exception of the one in the Romana Country Club, which now has 27 holes, but a membership is needed.

Golf in Casa de Campo:

http://www.casadecampo.com.do/en/golf/index.asp

Two other areas stand as attractions, both parts of Casa de Campo. The first one is called “Altos de Chavón”, which is the small “city” made out of stone that looks like a Mediterranean villa. It overlooks the Chavon River on top of the hills and has many different shops and restaurants. Some I’d recommend are “La Giacosa” (international cuisine, best view of them all), La Piazzetta (wooden oven pizza) and a Mexican Restaurant right under La Piazzetta, which is also very good.

Altos de Chavón website:

http://www.altosdechavon.com/fs_village.htm

The Marina is a nice plaza and villas shapped like an italian town. If any of you has been to Burano (an island next to Venice) the site of La Marina will be extremely familiar. It is mainly a yacht port, very beautiful, many different restaurants and shops. For restaurants I’d recommend “Pepperoni” (a bit pricey, but well worth it, international cuisine) and “Chinois” a great Chinese restaurant with amazing quality and prices. If you’re looking to just eat more casually and have some nice coffee “Caribbean Coffee” is very nice, located right next to Pepperoni in the main plaza. Right next to it is a very nice ice cream parlor that makes hand made Italian ice cream. I love the coconut ice cream they make, try it if want, very nice. It’s all very European with a very relaxing atmosphere. In the Marina there’s also an small supermarket called “Supermercado Nacional” where you can find many Dominican products at the same prices we get in the city. You can’t miss it.

La Marina de Chavón at Casa de Campo website:

http://marinacasadecampo.com/

Now, not all of you are going to want to go to Casa de Campo and prefer just to stay closer to the ship and maybe do some shopping… in La Romana, I’d recommend walking to “Jumbo”. It’s very close. By car probably less than 5 minutes, so maybe 15 walking, really not bad at all. Jumbo is a Dominican department store (forget about “The Mercado Modelo”! more on that later), which has everything you’d want to shop for here, including a full supermarket. The prices are VERY cheap. You can get very good souvenirs and products (my recommendations are detailed further on this post).

La Romana is a typical Dominican town, not a big city, so expect it to be different that anything you might find in the US. For those of you that have done Caribbean cruises, it’s the common small Caribbean city. People will be friendly and are usually eager to help.

Oh, if you like Arab food, there’s a good small restaurant called “Shish Kabob” very close to the port. The “Kipes” and “Cativias” are very tasty. Try them out if you can.

Some info on Shopping in La Romana:

http://www.bookit.com/travel_guide-m0g00-La_Romana-Shopping.html

Dominican products and brands that you might enjoy:

Coffee: our coffee is extremely good. The best one as considered by us: Santo Domingo coffee.

Beer: the best one by far: “Presidente”. Other options both local and from other countries, not easily available in US: “Brahma” from Brazil, one of the best selling worldwide beers. Quilmes, from Argentina. Stella Artois, from Belgium. Bohemia from Dominican Republic.

Rum: the best brands are Barceló, Brugal and Bermudez. To me, the best one is “Barceló Imperial” which has won many international awards. Another favorite, “Brugal Añejo” or “Brugal Extra Viejo”.

Tobacco: A million options. Second to NONE. “La Aurora”, “León Jimenez”, “Arturo Fuentes”, “Cohiba”, etc. Many loca brands and brands from other countries, Duch as Cuba, established factories here to get around the Helms-Burton embargo. Just buy a few and enjoy.

Inexpensive souvenirs: There’s a type of doll made (pottery) usually in a small town called “Bonao” that is very popular with tourists. You can get them very cheap (I’d say starting at about $1) and I’m sure they would delight anyone you give one to. There’s also many different paintings and articles from local artists.

Vanilla extract, jewelery (Larimar and amber are the most common), etc

Some info on Santo Domingo:

Santo Domingo is about 1.5 hours away from La Romana. It is NOT just a dirty city. The problem is that the port of call for Santo Domingo is right in the “Colonnial City” which is the oldest part of the city as established by the European colonists over 500 years ago. Here you can find the first Cathedral of the New World, many stone monuments and towes, the “Alcazar” which is the house of the brother of Christopher Columbus, etc. The remains of Christopher Columbus are on the “Faro a Colon” monument.

I could write 100 pages on Santo Domingo, so if you have any questions, I’d be happy to answer. I almost forgot, I see some of you guys mentioning the “Mercado Modelo”. It is located in Santo Domingo, so if you’re arriving at the port in La Romana, you won’t have a chance to visit it. The problem with the Mercado Modelo is that it is a very popular market and quite dirty, so its not for everyone. Some tourists will love its “personality” other will find it too “in your face”. You can find many great bargains there though, if you’re the adventurous type. I haven’t been there in decades. Lol

Oh well, I hope this helps!.

Hi guys!

I feel the need to help you out with some info about the Dominican Republic as there is not much of it on these boards. I am from the Dominican Republic, live in Santo Domingo and frequently visit Casa de Campo as we have a family villa there.

Ok now where were you a couple weeks ago when we needed this info??? LOL Of course we never made it there because of Noel anyway....

GREAT info, thanks so much for posting! We may be doing the same itinerary we just completed this week, so this info will DEFINITELY come in handy!!!!!

Ok now where were you a couple weeks ago when we needed this info??? LOL Of course we never made it there because of Noel anyway....

GREAT info, thanks so much for posting! We may be doing the same itinerary we just completed this week, so this info will DEFINITELY come in handy!!!!!

lol, sorry! I usually check the site more often but just too much work lately and gotta leave things in order for a Mediterranean cruise we're taking in two weeks. Will check this forum more often for any questions you guys may have. :)

I don’t have too much info on the actual cruise package excursions as I haven’t done any of the arranged packages, but if you tell me about what’s being offered, I can give you my opinion on it.

Wow! Thank you so much for taking the time out of planning your own cruise to help us out on this thread! Your information is awesome!

This is the one port I really have NO IDEA what I want to do. I have toyed around with 3 ideas, maybe you can help out!

1) Ship Tour - Tour of city of Santo Domingo. I know it's a long bus ride, but you make it sound worth it! We love history, so maybe this would be good...

2) Ship Tour - Pilgrimage City of Higuey - Goes to Higuey & the Basilica. Then goes to the town of Bayahibe. A bit of history and sightseeing?

3) On our own - Casa de Campo for shopping & lunch. Then to a beach to experience that soft white sand. What beach would you recommend?

Thanks for your input - and enjoy your cruise. In 2009 we are planning a cruise to the Med, so maybe I can pick your brain about that later!:D

Trovador,

Thanks so much for posting ALL of that info. I know it takes quite some time to gather all of those websites and organize all of it, so I wanted to let you know how much I appreciate your effort. As previously mentioned by many posters, this port is new to all of us, and we're not quite sure what the best way is to spend the day. Let me add to this that on my cruise, our ship will only be there from 7:30 - 2:00, somewhat limiting the amount of time we have there.

Personally, I have another consideration that I must take into account. I am traveling with my elderly mom, who is and will still be, undergoing chemotherapy for late stage lung cancer. As per her doctor, I cannot take any chances with food or drink, considering her immune system is very compromised, so we have decided to limit our eating and drinking to the ship, as opposed to eating at any of the islands. Hence spending a chunk of time at any eatery is out for my family. I will have to try some of your islands specialties with my kids on the fly, since we do so enjoy that.

I thought perhaps renting a cab, or car, to take my family to Altos de Chavron and perhaps a bit of shopping with a stop at a nearby beach, might be a nice way to spend the day with my mom, brother and my two teenagers. I don't prefer a ship excursion simply because a private cab will get us closer to the spots we want to go and will limit the amount of walking my mom will have to do.

Are cabs or car services are readily available at the port?

Is Alto de Chavron very hilly? Should we bring a wheelchair or scooter, or would that not even work on the walking surfaces?

Do you have a recommendation for a beach, available by cab, to spend some time at?

If we're renting a cab, should we use Jumbo as our shopping spot, or should we go somewhere a little further, since we're able to?

I should say we are not at all "locked in" to these ideas. I am simply trying to figure out how to spend 5 or 6 hours in port and get a feel for the island.

Again, thank you so much for your help with this port!

ps.. I just took my first mediterranean cruise last year and would love to answer any questions you might have, if I can. We spent time in Barcelona both before and after the cruise and our ports included Florence, Naples, Rome, Nice and Marseilles. If I can be of any assistance, please don't hesitate to ask! Enjoy!

Wow! Thank you so much for taking the time out of planning your own cruise to help us out on this thread! Your information is awesome!

This is the one port I really have NO IDEA what I want to do. I have toyed around with 3 ideas, maybe you can help out!

1) Ship Tour - Tour of city of Santo Domingo. I know it's a long bus ride, but you make it sound worth it! We love history, so maybe this would be good...

2) Ship Tour - Pilgrimage City of Higuey - Goes to Higuey & the Basilica. Then goes to the town of Bayahibe. A bit of history and sightseeing?

3) On our own - Casa de Campo for shopping & lunch. Then to a beach to experience that soft white sand. What beach would you recommend?

I forgot to add that we will be in port from 11 - 6, will probably plan to back on the ship around 5 PM, so not a long day for us, either.:)

Thanks for your input - and enjoy your cruise. In 2009 we are planning a cruise to the Med, so maybe I can pick your brain about that later!:D

No problem at all. :)

Santo Domingo is full of history. It was "the first country of the new world" and it was the home base of the colonists over 500 years ago. If you love history, there's plenty of things to be seen. The drive will be close to 2 hours from La Romana by Bus, so it's kind of a long ride.

I wouldn't recommend the tour to Higuey, besides the Basilica, there's not much else to do that you won't find in La Romana. The Basilica is an impressive structure (it's a cathedral), but it is not going to impress you guys that much if you live in the US, where impressive structures are a dime a dozen, or Europe, where there's 3 awe inspiring cathedrals for every single town. Bayahibe does have very nice beaches and it's right next to Dominicus, which also has very beautiful beaches, which your surely might enjoy.

Shopping and lunch in Casa de Campo would be quite a nice relaxing experience. It's the closest of the three options, and you have many different options to shop around and have lunch. I'd recommend just visiting the beach IN Casa de Campo, called "Minitas". It's quite nice, and it's the closes one by far.

Good luck!.

I forgot to add that we will be in port from 11 - 6, will probably plan to back on the ship around 5 PM, so not a long day for us, either.:)

Wow, very short time. I really don't think there's time to go to Santo Domingo, and even Higuey seems to be a bit rushed.

Trovador,

Thanks so much for posting ALL of that info. I know it takes quite some time to gather all of those websites and organize all of it, so I wanted to let you know how much I appreciate your effort. As previously mentioned by many posters, this port is new to all of us, and we're not quite sure what the best way is to spend the day. Let me add to this that on my cruise, our ship will only be there from 7:30 - 2:00, somewhat limiting the amount of time we have there.

Personally, I have another consideration that I must take into account. I am traveling with my elderly mom, who is and will still be, undergoing chemotherapy for late stage lung cancer. As per her doctor, I cannot take any chances with food or drink, considering her immune system is very compromised, so we have decided to limit our eating and drinking to the ship, as opposed to eating at any of the islands. Hence spending a chunk of time at any eatery is out for my family. I will have to try some of your islands specialties with my kids on the fly, since we do so enjoy that.

I thought perhaps renting a cab, or car, to take my family to Altos de Chavron and perhaps a bit of shopping with a stop at a nearby beach, might be a nice way to spend the day with my mom, brother and my two teenagers. I don't prefer a ship excursion simply because a private cab will get us closer to the spots we want to go and will limit the amount of walking my mom will have to do.

Are cabs or car services are readily available at the port?

Is Alto de Chavron very hilly? Should we bring a wheelchair or scooter, or would that not even work on the walking surfaces?

Do you have a recommendation for a beach, available by cab, to spend some time at?

If we're renting a cab, should we use Jumbo as our shopping spot, or should we go somewhere a little further, since we're able to?

I should say we are not at all "locked in" to these ideas. I am simply trying to figure out how to spend 5 or 6 hours in port and get a feel for the island.

Again, thank you so much for your help with this port!

ps.. I just took my first mediterranean cruise last year and would love to answer any questions you might have, if I can. We spent time in Barcelona both before and after the cruise and our ports included Florence, Naples, Rome, Nice and Marseilles. If I can be of any assistance, please don't hesitate to ask! Enjoy!

Sorry to hear about your mom. I understand perfectly. As with Sunny Az Girl, your is a short stay, and considering your mom's condition, I think your plans are actually quite nice.

I don't think you'll have any problems finding a cab. Even better if anyone in your party knows some Spanish. Altos de Chavon is about 15 minutes from the port. While located on top of a hill next to the Chavón river, it is not hilly at all. It won't be a smooth ride for someone in a wheel chair because the floor is made of stones put together, but I've taken my sons in strollers many times to Chavón, without more problems than simply taking it slow and pushing a little harder.

The closest beach is Minitas in Casa de Campo. For Altos de Chavón, you won't need a pass to be able to walk around, but for Minitas and any other activities in Casa de Campo, you will need to get a guest pass from the CdC hotel. It would be good if you can ask your travel agent if they can help you with that beforehand, or the cruiseline. They should have someone to help you pre-register with them so you don't have to go. If not, the process is not that bad at all. They just take your names and print some IDs. There might be a nominal fee though, not sure how much. I'll try to find out as I'm now curious myself. LOL

Jumbo is the easiest shopping option as it is very close and you can find pretty much everything. It's not as pintoresque as other spots because it looks like a US department store, but considering that your mom will be on a wheelchair, I'd recommend it. You could always go there first, and if you still want to explore other options just keep going!.

Anything else, let me know. :)

I emailed the hotel and this is the response they just sent me. I thought I would paste it here for others to have an idea of what they are offering.

Good Morning Mrs . Donna.

Thank you for your email.Regarding your kind request please see below the following information.

Unfortunately is not allow to use the pool.

Daypass Available at Minitas Beach Monday to Sunday from 9:00am - 5:00pm.

Inclusions:

*Towels and chaise Lounges.

*Non- motorized water sports.

*Lunch at El Pescador restaurant, A la carte. ( At Minitas Beach)

*One beer or soda during lunch time.

Price:

US$ 40 .00 P/P.

US$ 28.00 Childrens From 4 to 12 years old.

Note: Prices are subject to changes.

No reservations Required.

You should pay with Credit Card or Cash in Concierge Desk at the Main area.

Best regards ,

Kairac

Trovador,

Thanks again for your answers and thoughts on our visit. I thought $40 was a rather steep fee, since we don't plan on eating lunch and they don't allow use of the pool. So would you recommend a different beach in the vicinity?

As for Alto de Chavon, I don't think we'll bother to rent a wheel chair after all. It sounds like it's easy enough to just walk around at our leisure, especially since the taxi can get us up to the top and there won't be climbing involved.

What sort of weather is typical for December?

Thanks Again!

Archived