QM2 just passed Battery Park in NYC

Jeanne S

The Queen passed under the VN Bridge approx 6:15 am and traffic was backed up along the belt parkway (adjacent the harbor) with people stopping the see her. I was driving over the bridge and my passenger could barely make her out in the dense fog as she approached.

I drove to work in on of our Brooklyn offices that afford a beautiful view of upper NY Bay and was able to view her just before gliding up towards the Hudson River, then lost the Queen as she approached and passed the Battery.

Unfortunately the fog had not lifted totally, but as the sun rose higher my view of her improved and I must say she is unlike any ship that I have ever seen grace this bay. Liner Guy must be in total awe watching from the Battery.

Live from New York, II

I had a nice view of the half mile of the Hudson below the Passenger Ship Terminal from my hotel room. First a small coast guard patrol boat appeared, then a fire boat streaming water, and then....that bow...and she just kept coming!

In a way, her arrival was less dramatic than precise: that she docked all but precisely at 8am -- and without a hitch from my vantage point-- was a bigger statement after her stormy crossing than any welcoming hoopla could have made. If there was any doubt or confusion about what it means that she's an "ocean liner" -- I think this will go a long way towards making the point.

A few other impressions: helicopters buzzing all around (at least five) and at least one local TV station offered live coverage.

There were tugs around, and one appeared to work a bit at her bow - but it was a wondrous thing to watch her stern swing around so precisely on its own and to see her speed slow to a barely perceptible creep as she eased into her slip.

There were probably a dozen security boats of various kinds. No one else on the river except the water ferries and, somehow, a single Circle Line "Yacht"probably just trying to get to its pier.

Plenty of passengers visible on on the observation deck, gathered around the base of the funnel (?), and on the promendade deck. Just a few at their own balconies. There were 3-5 full size Union Jacks hung from various balconies -- but they looked like little hand held flags in comparison to the ship.

And perhaps, most telling: When I finally took my eyes off of Queen Mary 2, all of the buildings around me looked much smaller!

Crouton

NYC

Crouton:

Will be waving to you on Sunday evening from the six story (6th floor balcony )apartment building just before the VN bridge as you pass by (Portside).

Have a great crossing!

Cunarder. Will let you know how the hull balcony is (you are also booked in one for our 11/6 Carribean sailing?) on the May 7th cruise.

Jeanne

Jeanne S.,

You're a sweetie to let me know. Let me think a little and I'll post back here on precisely where I'll be standing and what I might come up with to draw attention to myself. icon_rolleyes.gif

Your -- soon to be seasoned --

Crouton

Jeanne S.

I will be more than happy to let you know about the hull balcony. Yes, our sailing is Nov. 6th.

Crouton - Did you ever find a house flag or some kind of substitute? Hope you did. Have a great crossing.

Ed

Crouton:

May not be able to get back on line by Sunday to read any posts but will be holding a champagne glass in a toast to you and the ship as you glide by at 10 knots!!

Have a great voyage!!!

Jeanne

Jeanne S.,

I will either be as far astern as I can get in the area below the two rear exhaust stacks or at the very stern of the ship by the flagpole.

I will at least be waving in your direction, and at most will be flying a long red, white and blue streamer in your honor.

Whether I actually see you or not, it will be very nice to know you are there. icon_smile.gif

Crouton

Archived