Babies on Caribbean Princess

yukongrl

I NOW know that Princess does not offer in room babysitters as RCCL does - but does anyone know if there are any alternative - such as hiring somebody privately - We are loking for 1 dinner together, not a person to dump our 19 month old baby on for a full week. We booked with Princess after being misled by Expedia that they have group babysitting - but found out it's for potty trained children and most likely 3 and up. We already went on RCCL last year when she was 7 months old and had the in room babysitter privatley hired -our cabin steward arranged this RCCL only starts at 1 yr old for in room babysitters. Now we don't know if we should change our plans and change cruise lines, just for 1 dinner.

Not sure if this is an option but I read on CC once what someone else did when they sailed with their 1 year old.

They found another couple on board with a child around the same age. They made an agreement and many nights they alternated dining time and baby sitting. One couple would baby sit both kids while the other couple had dinner and then they would switch off so the other couple eat.

Unfortantely - this can't be planned ahead of time unless there is someone on your roll call who has a young child also.

Princess does not even offer private babysitting for infants, sorry. All children have to be old enough to be out of diapers before they offer any type of sitting services.

How about the ultimate balcony dinner on your balcony while the child is sleeping? It might be an alternative?

Princess does not even offer private babysitting for infants, sorry. All children have to be old enough to be out of diapers before they offer any type of sitting services.

How about the ultimate balcony dinner on your balcony while the child is sleeping? It might be an alternative?

Good alternative Toto, and far better than leaving your infant with a total stranger, IMHO.

Karen

We did what Coral suggested but by accident. We saw a child around the same age as ours and went over so the two kids could play together. The kids got along great and we really liked the parents. They said that they wanted to get away for dinner so a few nights of the cruise, we took turns babysitting. For our next cruise, our daughter was old enough to participate with the kids group so it wasn't an issue.

Thanks for the advice Stone Harbor and Toto. Seeing which it might be hard to find another couple who might want to do the swap-- not sure how I feel about that either. I know I would leave my baby with a crew memeber but not another couple???? I guess I am just still stunned about Expedia being misleading when I mentioned the baby's age at the time of travel and everything! At least the balcony dining would be an option. -- I didn't know they offered that service. Thanks again!!

Another tip, just like you would find a babysitter at home do the same on cruise critic. Go to your cruises roll call. Read for a while before talking. See if anyone else has the same issue, or if there are older teens traveling. I know many teens who would love to make a few dollars by babysitting. Get numbers of people they have done it with, if they live near you get an address and meet up, etc...I don't see what the difference is between hiring someone at home to watch your child and hiring someone on a ship to watch your child...as long as the necessary background checks have been completed...FYI, I babysat from age 11-26 and have been a first grade teacher for 7 years...you might just find an appropriate person on your roll call. Good Luck.

Thanks for the advice Stone Harbor and Toto. Seeing which it might be hard to find another couple who might want to do the swap-- not sure how I feel about that either. I know I would leave my baby with a crew memeber but not another couple???? I guess I am just still stunned about Expedia being misleading when I mentioned the baby's age at the time of travel and everything! At least the balcony dining would be an option. -- I didn't know they offered that service. Thanks again!!

The Ultimate Balcony dining will be at extra cost (just so there are no more surprises for you). It runs $100 per couple. Also, they offer an Ultimate Balcony breafast for around $28 PER COUPLE. Either might be an option for you.

Seeing which it might be hard to find another couple who might want to do the swap-- not sure how I feel about that either. I know I would leave my baby with a crew memeber but not another couple????

We thought the opposite. We didn't want to leave our child with a crew person who has never been a parent before and there have been cases of crew molesting teenagers on a cruise. We found parents we really liked who had a very happy child and went that direction. We at least knew they had parent skills.

I would have never considered leaving my children that young with someone I had 'just met'. Maybe I am just old school, but just because they seemed nice, well, especially in these days, you just never know.

I would have possibly (?) left a young child in the care of a staff member. They would be hired by the cruise line and I would also check to make sure they were trained in child care.

Call me overprotective, but meeting someone on a cruise ship with first impressions, even after a few days, isn't really going to tell you much about this person I don't feel.

We were on the Caribbean Princess with our 11 month old in November. While my 18 yr old sister did come with us and did babysit for one night, (we cruised with family for a wedding) we found that it was best for everyone to just eat dinner late - we would bring the baby in her stroller, sleeping, to dinner with us and "park" her right next to the table. No one had a problem with this and it worked well for us.

I would have never considered leaving my children that young with someone I had 'just met'. Maybe I am just old school, but just because they seemed nice, well, especially in these days, you just never know.

I would have possibly (?) left a young child in the care of a staff member. They would be hired by the cruise line and I would also check to make sure they were trained in child care.

Call me overprotective, but meeting someone on a cruise ship with first impressions, even after a few days, isn't really going to tell you much about this person I don't feel.

I'm with you ... and I definitely wouldn't leave an infant with a crew member either.

• 7 months later...

Surprised Princess doesn't offer this. We sailed Celebrity Mercury in May to AK. We were fortunate to utilize the babysitting service and found the crew member experienced and accommodating. Because of circumstances, I think we'll be cruising Princess more frequently - not upset because we're just as happy with Princes, almost feels like home. But do wish they'd offer something similar to Celebrity. It's a plus for us. Especially, with a now 1-yr old and another on the way.

Archived