What is the deal???

Corn Fed

Medic,

Here are a few phrases that you might need.

Donde esta el bano? Where is the bathroom?

Cuantos cuestra para ese? How much does this cost?

Tomamos al puerto, por favor. Take us to the port, please.

And my favorite,

Estoy muy barracho y quiero mortar. I am very drunk and I want to die.

Seriously, the taxi drivers speak enough to get you where you want to go. I bargained in spanish with a vendor in Coz for 20 minutes and when I told him that I didn't have any money he answered in plain english, "It is no problem, Senor, we take plastic.":eek:

• 1 month later...

Try reading some of the other posts listed under this category.

• Segway Tour by MellowMel
  • OKC's answer to Crichard question about the Dzibilchaltan Ruins and Mexican Buffet and Horse Show
  • The answers to the question BeachBrittani asked about what to do

My first trip to Pregreso I stayed on the ship but after reading everyone's questions and answers I found plenty to do and I am looking forward to my second trip to this wonderful place.

Try reading some of the other posts listed under this category.

• Segway Tour by MellowMel
  • OKC's answer to Crichard question about the Dzibilchaltan Ruins and Mexican Buffet and Horse Show
  • The answers to the question BeachBrittani asked about what to do

My first trip to Pregreso I stayed on the ship but after reading everyone's questions and answers I found plenty to do and I am looking forward to my second trip to this wonderful place.

Pretty neat place, huh cruise_lover?

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, this is a pretty dumb question, but I'm going to ask it anyways. Somewhere I read (I've been reading posts for the last 2 hours) that the water is not that beautiful blue/aqua color that it is in other places in the Caribbean. Does anyone know why that is?:confused: I know the snorkeling is not good there but swimming is still ok? I told you it was a dumb question.:rolleyes:

Okay' date=' this is a pretty dumb question, but I'm going to ask it anyways. Somewhere I read (I've been reading posts for the last 2 hours) that the water is not that beautiful blue/aqua color that it is in other places in the Caribbean. Does anyone know why that is?:confused: I know the snorkeling is not good there but swimming is still ok? I told you it was a dumb question.:rolleyes:[/quote']

Hola amigo,

The water around Progreso is pretty fertile and is in the Gulf of Mexico not the Carribean. It has green cast to it.

Everytime we have been in Progreso it has been windy and the waves were pretty bad. On our last trip we went to a nice resort, Reef Yucatan. They had a huge pool, nice beach, volley ball and lots of other stuff. I haven't swam in the Gulf at Progreso yet, but I've had some good trips there.

One other fact about the water/beach in Progreso. The water is pretty shallow until you get pretty far out. That's the reason for the 4.5 mile pier. This part of the Yucatan is on a limestone shelf. So even small waves keep the water stirred up.

Thank you both for your speedy replies. I have been enjoying and getting valuable information from all of your posts (and your pics, H). Still trying to decide. We are not really beach people, but thought if we did go to the beach I'd at least like to swim. We really love to snorkel, but knowing that is out, the resort does sound nice. But do you think that for the first time we should get out and see this part of the country? (we have been to Coz 3x and Cancun 2x) so want to see the "real Mexico" Plus we are not the sit and relax kind of people for more than a couple of hours. My husband is not into history stuff so don't know if he would enjoy any of the ruins. My thought is to go into Merida because we are in port from 12:00 - 8:00pm and my guess is there is more to do in the evening and maybe we could take in a show (something like the folklorico sp?) or take the carriage ride? Hmmmm. I will keep reading and delve into the "Yucatan Today" more closely. Phewwww that was a long winded reply. :eek: Thanks again.:) After re-reading this, we really aren't that hard to please, just want to find the most enjoyable for us.

• 3 weeks later...

My H and I have stopped here once before and did the Chichen Itza tour, and loved it. It was a great experience. I couldn't imagine being that close to such wonderful culture and not seeing it, especially since it is now one of the seven wonders of the world! During our 2 hour bus ride, I took my video camera and filmed the countryside out our window. (Our kids stayed on the ship. Yay Adventure Ocean!) I wanted them to see how the people in that area live- houses that look as if they are abandoned and about to fall in, yet there is wash hanging out in the backyard, and almost every house with religious statues in the front yard. The people were kind, wonderful and pleasant. By the way, if your tour stops halfway for a bathroom break, don't buy anything from the vendors there- way overpriced. We spent about $15 for some things in the store when there were children near our bus selling them for $1, with the bus driver and store security trying to shoo them away! We will be there next March, and are doing the Uxmal (spelling?) tour, and taking our kids this time- forcing some culture on them.

Soverign of the Seas—July 2000

Grandeur of the Seas—March 2003

Adventure of the Seas—Feb 2004

Mariner of the Seas—May 2005

Rhapsody of the Seas—April 2006

Freedom of the Seas—Feb 2007

Voyager of the Seas—March 2008-- CAN”T WAIT!!

One other fact about the water/beach in Progreso. The water is pretty shallow until you get pretty far out. That's the reason for the 4.5 mile pier. This part of the Yucatan is on a limestone shelf. So even small waves keep the water stirred up.

UH OH-The pier is 4.5 miles long? Did I read that right? I thougth the pier at Costa Maya was long. I'm already huffing & puffing just thinking about it.

I have 4 months to train for that marathon.

Here's a pic of the pier

progresopier.jpg

Thank you for posting the photo of the pier...

I was looking for more pictures of Progreso ...

like of the beaches ...

is the beach at the port safe? sandy or rocky ?

and was maybe curious about the buffet package that Carnival offers with the dancers & the horse show

does anyone have any pics of those too ?

Thanks

Carolina:)

UH OH-The pier is 4.5 miles long? Did I read that right? I thougth the pier at Costa Maya was long. I'm already huffing & puffing just thinking about it.

I have 4 months to train for that marathon.

Bonnie I see you found this thread. lol I thought I would do research in case if we do wind up here verse Costa Maya.

My main question is about local resorts where we can do an AI day pass. I am thinking this might be fun.

We did the Mexican Rodeo with buffet in 03 and really enjoyed it. The food was wonderful and the show good. They had a small number of vendors selling things too...I bought a beautiful crochetted (sp) table cloth. I didn't take a whole lot of pictures and some of them were lost when my computer went kaputz. Here are two I could find....not much. I know my daughter had some good ones.

familycruz%20%28115%29.JPG?imgmax=576

familycruz%20%28116%29.JPG?imgmax=576

We did the Mexican Rodeo with buffet in 03 and really enjoyed it. The food was wonderful and the show good. They had a small number of vendors selling things too...I bought a beautiful crochetted (sp) table cloth. I didn't take a whole lot of pictures and some of them were lost when my computer went kaputz. Here are two I could find....not much. I know my daughter had some good ones.

familycruz%20%28115%29.JPG?imgmax=576

familycruz%20%28116%29.JPG?imgmax=576

nieciez,

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR PHOTOS !

YOU ARE TERRIFIC!

KEEP THEM COMING ...I LOVE TO SEE THEM AHEAD OF TIME

IT HELPS ME TO PLAN ...

That picture of the pier! I'd heard it was long, but OMG! It looks like it must go all the way to TEXAS!! :eek:

Hola you'all,

I did notice that the people working on the end of the pier spoke with a drawl.;)

• 3 weeks later...

We were a group of 9. Half decided to do the Chichen Itza Tour and half decided to do the Flamigo Sight Seeing Tour.

Somehow the Chichen Itza group got split up on different buses and everyone had complaints about the tour guides...not very informative

and A/C on the buses not cool or not working AT ALL!:eek:

The ruins were nice just not enough time to fully enjoy it.

The Flamigo Tour????

It was soooooo bad each one demanded a refund as soon as they boarded the ship.... AND GOT IT! There were soo many complaints.

Everyone we talked to said

Yes, Progresso was something that one needs to see at least once in their life ,but mark it as a been there done that.

On a Good note ...the shopping in the market near the ship was very nice and reasonable priced.

And NO cruiser's chain stores such as Diamond International and no C&C or Senor Frogs.

I hear you there!!! I absolutely loved my Alaska cruise, and if there was only one blight on this trip, it was Diamond International and these types of stores in all the ports. UGH!!! I hate this kind of thing, but it must appeal to some people as they are in existance. I went to one of them and avoided all the rest of them. I am looking forward to Progresso and Merida. It will be very refreshing I think.

We were a group of 9. Half decided to do the Chichen Itza Tour and half decided to do the Flamigo Sight Seeing Tour.

Somehow the Chichen Itza group got split up on different buses and everyone had complaints about the tour guides...not very informative

and A/C on the buses not cool or not working AT ALL!:eek:

The ruins were nice just not enough time to fully enjoy it.

The Flamigo Tour????

It was soooooo bad each one demanded a refund as soon as they boarded the ship.... AND GOT IT! There were soo many complaints.

Everyone we talked to said

Yes, Progresso was something that one needs to see at least once in their life ,but mark it as a been there done that.

On a Good note ...the shopping in the market near the ship was very nice and reasonable priced.

Thanks for the information. Were these ship's tours? If so which ones on what line? We will make sure not to do this.

Archived