Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

vtbobby

Star Flyer - Greece 5/26/07

Well, after so many views, I felt sure some CC'ers would be on this cruise.

We are off this Friday...spending 4 days in Athens; 4 days in Nauplio; and 2 days in Galaxidi. We'll go back to Athens for Star Clipper's overnight package and bus to the ship.

I guess there are no CC'ers aboard, but we will raise a glass to past, and future, Cruisers at our own private "CC Get-together".

Bon Voyage!

Bob & Beatrice

Have a great trip B&B! If you get a chance, could you check the setup in cabin 101 or 102. We're thinking about booking Tahiti next year and those 2 cabins seem to be a bit larger for a Cat.4. Any other info about the ship you care to post when you get back would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

... could you check the setup in cabin 101 or 102. We're thinking about booking Tahiti next year and those 2 cabins seem to be a bit larger for a Cat.4.

Mike

Hi Mike...I checked with my TA today because I didn't trust my memory. Cabins 101-102 are not really bigger...the bunks are raised because of the rake of the hull at that point. Also those cabins are noisy because of the bow wave rushing just below the beds. Adventurous...but maybe not restful.

We are in Cabin 124 on Star Flyer in Greece. We prefer the stability midships. On two previous cruises on Star Clipper, we had 327 & 336. On the Barbados/Panama Canal cruise in November, we are in a Cat. 3 midships on the Commodore deck...can't remember the number right now. My TA has 44 people, all vets of previous Antigua Yacht Regattas on Star Clipper, booked on that trip.

I'm signed on for the December Panama to Tahiti Crossing, and have requested 300 or 301 (Cat. 5). I going alone, without my bride, and those cabins are great for a single. They have a raised bunk at eye (pillow) level with a porthole. That trip is 22 days.

You will be in your cabin only to change, shower and sleep. I don't think that the 'Owners' and 'Cat. 1' staterooms are worth the extra money. Just a personal observation (IMHO).

We've been on one Royal Clipper and two Star Clipper cruises...and they have all been terrific. Great people...from the owner on down to the seamen on the deck crew.

Bob Ring :cool:

Thanks Bob! That's the kind of inside info I was looking for. Thought they might be raised judging by where the Portholes for the forward cabins are located in the pics of the ship. We'll probably shoot for one of the midship Cat. 3 or 4 cabins. Look forward to maybe a report when you get back.

Mike

Hi Bob

My husband and I have booked on Star Flyer Panama to Tahiti in Dec.

We just could not miss the opportunity to sail across the Pacific.

We decided just today to sign on for the Dec. 30 SF sailing around the Society Islands.

We have done 2 transatlantic crossings plus 4 weeks in and around the Caribbean aboard Star Clipper and Royal Clipper. We feel we are ready for the 22 day sail across the Pacific.

I know it will be different with only about 50 passengers, and with more ship maintenance taking place.

looking forward to meeting you

Kathy

Hi Bob

My husband and I have booked on Star Flyer Panama to Tahiti in Dec.

We just could not miss the opportunity to sail across the Pacific. We decided just today to sign on for the Dec. 30 SF sailing around the Society *******.

We have done 2 transatlantic crossings plus 4 weeks in and around the Caribbean aboard Star Clipper and Royal Clipper. We feel we are ready for the 22 day sail across the Pacific.

I know it will be different with only about 50 passengers, and with more ship maintenance taking place.

looking forward to meeting you

Kathy

Hi Kathy...wonderful...also, an opportunity I couldn't let pass me by. I may never get another chance to sail half way across the Pacific...and get to handle the wheel, and hoist the sails. What great adventure!

I just got my confirmation this morning for Cabin #301! This cabin (and #300) is perfect for singles...it is directly off the main deck, next to the Captains cabin, and below the Bridge. My wife, Beatrice, and I are taking the 11-day Barbados/Panama leg just before the shipyard stay, in #124. With all the family committments at the holidays, she felt that she had enough adventure for one year. So, I'll be solo.

Looking forward to meeting you both!

I'll copy this post to a new 'Tahiti' thread, and maybe generate interest in this 'crossing'.

Cheers,

Bob Ring :D

Have a great trip B&B! If you get a chance, could you check the setup in cabin 101 or 102. We're thinking about booking Tahiti next year and those 2 cabins seem to be a bit larger for a Cat.4. Any other info about the ship you care to post when you get back would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Hi there,

We just finished the Aegean cruise 5/5 to 12/5 and were in room 102. It was a comfortable size, no bigger than our friends room, who were in 123, but it doesnt have the extra bunk bed. We occasionally heard the waves against the boat, but it certainly didnt disturb our sleep.

We were first time cruisers, and had an absolutely fantastic time. The size of the cruise (140 passengers) was perfect, everyone was friendly and relaxed. We hope you enjoy it as much as we did. :)

B&B, can you post a review of your trip to the Northern Cyclades? I will be on this trip next summer (6/21/08) and would like to know what tours you took and how long you were in the various ports. Thanks.

B&B, can you post a review of your trip to the Northern Cyclades? I will be on this trip next summer (6/21/08) and would like to know what tours you took and how long you were in the various ports. Thanks.

Hi "ting"! I apologize for not responding sooner...it has been a crazy summer with family crisis and the real world intruding, and I've been away from these and other boards. Just saw one response in my spam filter today and realized that I had probably missed others too.

We had a great time on the Flyer back in May, in the Northern Cylades. Two tours are "musts"...the Kusadasi/Ephesus tour that includes the "terraces" dig...and the tour of Delos. After the tour in Kusadasi we bought a fabulous rug (and had it shipped home), and had a wonderful meal at an outdoor cafe overlooking the pier right opposite the rug warehouse. We watched the other cruise ships leave before heading back aboard Star Flyer. The Delos tour is also awesome...but too short because Star Flyer only stays three hours. They told us that we could atay on the island longer, and take the public ferry to Mykonos and meet the ship later in the afternoon. We didn't take that advice, and regretted it later. Mykonos was very touristy and full of overpriced boutiques (Hermes, Prada, etc). We had a nice late lunch, right on the water under the windmills, but wished that we had spent more time on Delos.

All the other stops you can see on your own without a tour. The Ephesus tour fills up quickly, so...while you are having your "Welcome aboard" cocktail, go into the Library and sign-up for the tours that you want to take, in a loose leaf book on the table.

Our favorite stops were Samos and Sifnos. We are already planning a 2009 return with about a weeks atay on each of those islands.

With one exception, the Star Clipper experience was superb! We had Captain Bruno, who we have sailed with before in the Caribbean...a gem...great guy. The Cruise Director (Peter) was the best, and most knowledgeable that we have sailed with on five Star Clipper cruises. We also knew the fine Maitre'D and one of our favorie waiters (Toto) was there too. The passengers were all very congenial, and there were many great dinner conversations...and sharing of lifes experiences while wandering the islands, shops and tavernas.

We became very friendly with one couple from San Diego, and hope to travel with them again. The husband was a retired History professor, and we had much fun dissecting the geo-politacal spin of the many history lectures as we transited past many historical sites.

There were more young children aboard than I had ever seen on a Star Clipper cruise. Watching 8-15 year olds scuba diving and climbing the rigging can make one feel old and creaky. They were all very couteous and well behaved.

The one, and only, bad experience came when we were leaving. About a dozen passengers had arranged for Star Clipper to provide transportation to the airport. But, almost everyone had flights around 2-3pm...and SC was insisting that we be transported at 8:30am! When we politely questioned this at the departure briefing the night before arrival, Peter haughtily snapped that they couldn't get "private buses for everyones schedule". Then a note went under our doors listing everyone by name in "Passenger cars", but all at 8:30am. We were also told to leave the ship at 8am to allow time for customs before our 'Cars". We did. There were no customs people...and the transportation guy put us in regular taxis! We had paid SC approximately double what the standard taxi fare is to the airport! We were at the airport at 9:10am...with almost a three hour wait before the Delta check-in line even opened for the New York , or Atlanta, flights. We sat outdoors on a bench because the airport was so hot. Needless to say, quite a few people ended this cruise very unhappy with Star Clippers. So unneccessary, because everything else about the cruise had been so wonderful.

All that said, I'm having SC do my transportation to and from the Star Flyer in Panama City, because I can find so little information , and don't speak Spanish.

In Athens/Pireaus, I would use the terrific Metro if we did another cruise from Pireaus.

I'll stay more accessable if there are any other questions.

Cheers,

Bob

Hi Bob. Thanks for replying and for the information. I'm very disappointed that Star Clippers cancelled our trip for 6/21/08 because it was chartered by a company, but we hope to do the same trip in 2009.

I'm just curious but did Star Clipper offer to move you to a later cruise in the summer 2008? Or did you choose to wait and go in 2009? We are also thinking of going in June of 2009 so we may be shipmates.

VT Bobby:

We are hoping to do the same cruise you did in June 2009. I have some questions about the ship, etc. Can I PM you?

VT Bobby:

We are hoping to do the same cruise you did in June 2009. I have some questions about the ship, etc. Can I PM you?

Hi Barb...sure. sfbobby at gmail dot com :cool: