Guarantee Cabins

Williams

To be sure that you are together, you need to book by the room number, not gauranteed. Guaranteed just means that you won't get a lower category room and they can put you anywhere they want. One room could be upgraded and the other not or One room could be upgraded several levels and the other only one.

I booked a certain room number because I was disappointed with what I was given last time.

I think people forget that an upgrade can put you where you do not want to be on the ship.

Typically if we are traveling with someone and want to make sure that our cabins are close by I book by cabin number too. Once when traveling with my in-laws who are in their 80's I appealed to Holland America to please try to keep us together. It was my first experience with a "guarantee cabin". They were very nice, in that we were upgraded about 4-5 levels and still ended up next door to one another. With teenagers I think I would try for connecting rooms or at least on the same floor, same area. On our last Carnival cruise there were many teenagers in cabins situated away from their parents and there was non-stop havoc...all day/all night. Unfortunately, they were around some other parents...just not theirs. They were our next door mates and it made for an awful cruise for us. They had a great time though....all night long.

Cindy: book a set cabin that way you are GAURANTEED to be next to each other. As far as the top and bottom bed.. In all cabins from inside up you will get at leat 2 beds that are on the floor. When you start adding people in-- your two girls then you start getting the pull out beds.

• 4 weeks later...

If you book a category IS, inside guarantee, according to the Carnival website you will be assigned to a category 4A, 4B, 4C, 4D, 4E, 4F and 4G stateroom which have regular beds that can be put together, not upper/lowers. I guess it is possible you could even be upgraded to an oceanview cabin, though they don't mention that possibility.

But if you want to be sure your children's cabin is close to yours, I don't think you should book guarantee since you can be put anywhere. It would be safer to book the cabins you want so you know what you are getting.

If you book a gty, make sure your bookings are linked. Sometimes TAs forget that this must be done for the cruiseline to know that these cabins need to be together (or maybe the pax didn't know the TA can do this so they don't tell the TA the bookings must be near each other). Linked bookings move around together or not at all. As another poster said, teenagers not near their parents can run amuk on a cruise. In the case of Carnival, if they cause enough trouble, you and your teenagers can be kicked off at the next port and it has been done. So don't risk a problem, either link your bookings or pick your cabins. Happy Sailing!

Linking together booking numbers do not gauarantee the cabins will be together. The ydo link together so you can have dining times together. We booked our first cruise as a gauarantee and had linked all our bookings together. 2 cabins were upgraded to oceanview the rest of us stayed inside cabins. We were all on the same deck but scattered throughout the deck.

If you need cabins side by side do not take the chance of the gauarantee to put you that way.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks,

Surfing away here at Cruise Critic, I saw this thread and couldn't resist adding my two cents. My first three cruises (RCL Explorer, RCL Brilliance, RCL Mariner) were all D2 balcony guarantees...on the Explorer we were upgraded to a Grand Suite, which was awesome. On the Brilliance we were upgraded to a D1, and on the Mariner we got a D2....in these two cases, we were thrilled because we knew going in we would have "at least" a D2.

At the same time, my wife and I just put a deposit down for the Voyageur Repo cruise on May 7, 2005...we saw cabin 9390 available (Aft Corner Balcony, Deck Nine), and grabbed it, as it has a huge balcony, great views aft and starboard. In this case, it was worth it for us to pay a bit more for what I think is a better cabin location.

Food for thought,

Happy hunting,

Michael

Book at least a Category 4A so that you get cabins with two lower beds. If you want to make sure that you get adjoining cabins, or ones that are across the hall from each other, then you may want to go ahead and get cabin assignments, rather than booking guarantees.

I told ya that you can link gty bookings. The key is to let your TA know and make sure the TA advises the cruiseline, epecially when children are involved. Sometimes we tell the TA and they don't remember to tell the CL or don't think it's important. YOU CAN LINK YOUR GTY BOOKINGS.

• 1 month later...

I think I may have made a mistake - we booked inside guarantee on the Sun Princess. We were offered A201 and decided not to take it. We got a midships on Caribe instead. What should we have done?

Novie's DH

• 1 month later...

Could you please let me know the difference between a D1 and a D2 cabin. We are booked on a D1 cabin (Brilliance) with a sofa bed, but my kids would prefer separate beds. Didn't realise until just now and ship's fully booked, so I don't think there is any hope of changing it now.

Hi folks,

Surfing away here at Cruise Critic, I saw this thread and couldn't resist adding my two cents. My first three cruises (RCL Explorer, RCL Brilliance, RCL Mariner) were all D2 balcony guarantees...on the Explorer we were upgraded to a Grand Suite, which was awesome. On the Brilliance we were upgraded to a D1, and on the Mariner we got a D2....in these two cases, we were thrilled because we knew going in we would have "at least" a D2.

At the same time, my wife and I just put a deposit down for the Voyageur Repo cruise on May 7, 2005...we saw cabin 9390 available (Aft Corner Balcony, Deck Nine), and grabbed it, as it has a huge balcony, great views aft and starboard. In this case, it was worth it for us to pay a bit more for what I think is a better cabin location.

Food for thought,

Happy hunting,

Michael

In the fourth post of this thread, there is a link of a floor plan for the voyager and it was to show where the hump rooms are. Can somebody identify the hump rooms by number? I am not able to figure out which ones are humps

• 2 weeks later...

No, you read it wrong. With a guarantee you WILL NOT get a cheaper cabin than what you paid for. You could get a more expensive one, but not a cheaper one. Got it?

But the downside is you don't get to choose the cabin, it's assigned by the cruise line and you don't have much to say about it. Some posters have done OK with their special requests, but the point of a guarantee is that you get a bit of a price break by allowing them to choose the cabin for you. So you should book the chaeapest category you will be happy in and hope you might get an upgrade - just don't count on it.

I booked an Oceanview Guarantee with Carnival and when my documents came, it saidon the front Skippers Club..VIP check-in so I looked up Skipper Club on Carnival and it said people with deluxe accomodations get VIP treatment at Embarking. When I looked into my reservation on the Carnival webite it had my stateroom as a balcony suite but about a week later, and ever since then, I checked and now it says Guarenteed Oceanview. Do you think I was upgraded and then back to OV guarantee? I'm confused!!

Could you please let me know the difference between a D1 and a D2 cabin. We are booked on a D1 cabin (Brilliance) with a sofa bed, but my kids would prefer separate beds. Didn't realise until just now and ship's fully booked, so I don't think there is any hope of changing it now.

The cabins are basically the same, in some *rare* cases (ie cabins 1388/1688 on Voyager class ships) the D1 cabins are larger then the D2 cabins. However, the difference between the D1 and D2 is location, location, location.

Sorry abuot the delay in responding, been away on business.

Regards,

Michael

First time cruisers here........we needed our kids to be across the hall so we booked specific cabins. I couldn't take the chance that we'd end up all over the ship:eek: We booked in August for our cruise next November! Way in advance and could have picked almost any cabins we wanted. Wish I knew about the aft cabins back then:( oh well.................there's always next cruise!!!!:)

~lurker

We are heading out on the NCL SEA in March and booked guarantee rooms (2). Paid for category L inside cabin (bottom of the barrel) and were upgraded to category D outside obstructed view & a larger room size. The rooms are side by side. We are travelling with our kids aged 15 & 11.

Had we not been upgraded, that would have been fine and had we been separated that would have been fine also because I intend to stay with my daughter and my husband will stay with my son. I know, I know, it's not very romantic but hey, it is a family vacation and maybe we can squeeze some alone time in.

I thought the kids had to be 18 years old to stay by themselves.

To be honest, I'm not comfortable having my 15 year old daughter staying in a room with her 11 year old brother and the "male crew" having access to the room at any given time. The other reason is the brother & sister may kill each other! (only kidding)

Call me old fashioned but I was on a cruise in my early 20's, I've seen how the male crew reacts to young available girls. It's kid of scary.

Hubby and I asked for a guaranteed inside hoping for an upgrade. What the guy on the phone said-Princess-was that it was better to go with a cabin number at the level you want. It doesn't matter if you have the number or not. We have B-720 which is two decks directly below the Horizon Buffet.We paid an extra $20 to get the highest rate of inside cabin which is better than the general inside-higher deck,etc. This fellow told Trevor that we have a better chance at an upgrade because,A) we've booked early, and B) we're at the highest level in our category- JJ. Now I've been reading on this thread that for a guaranteed room, you DON'T have an assigned cabin number. We are totally confused. He's now noticed that at least through Travelocity, there are no insides left or balconies. He was almost ready to pay the extra money to "guarantee" a balcony because we would have paid for it. Lynne

I booked an Oceanview Guarantee with Carnival and when my documents came, it saidon the front Skippers Club..VIP check-in so I looked up Skipper Club on Carnival and it said people with deluxe accomodations get VIP treatment at Embarking. When I looked into my reservation on the Carnival webite it had my stateroom as a balcony suite but about a week later, and ever since then, I checked and now it says Guarenteed Oceanview. Do you think I was upgraded and then back to OV guarantee? I'm confused!!

If the skippers club is mentioned on your documents...more then likely this is your placemnt. On the back of the sign and sail page on the bottom is a bunch of numbers...the first set being your booking number and right after that will be your cabin number-- have you checked this out?

Have you checked the fun pass page-- go to carnivals web page scroll to the bottom--click on fun pass- fill out your information- if its completed you will be given two options print fun pass or view gifts..click on gifts. make belive you are buying those flowers- (you wont be charged) add the flowers to your cart and then scroll down. You should see a cabin number there.

Archived