spa food/cafe on Zuiderdam

npeters

Does the Zui offer "spa" or lighter-fare food? On X's Summit, the Aquaspa Cafe offered excellent lighter breakfast and lunch fare, a great alternative to the "Lido"-type grills.

How about on the Vista menu? Are the more "healthful" dishes specially marked?

What do you mean by "lighter" food? The Lido offers a wide variety of chioces in food. You don't have to get bacon and eggs and pancakes for breakfast. There are cereals and yogurts and fruits to eat.

Same for lunch and dinner.

I can't say enough about the variety of food in the Lido. If you can't find something there that you like to eat you are too picky and should not be going on cruises.

Just about anything anyone could possibly dream of for breakfast is available on HAL ships.

I am sure you don't need someone to indicate for you that fruit and yogurt are healthy and light.

I am also sure you know that pancakes or french toast with maple flavor syrup would be considered high carb/sugar/calorie.

Plenty of choices for lighter eating include Loads of fresh fruit/berries; fresh squeezed orange juice; museli (while healthy it is high sugar and calorie); large selection of cereals; hot oatmeal; egg beaters (and omelettes made from eggbeaters); egg white omelettes with veggies.....the list is lengthy

Joedog,

Thank you for the info that the Lido has cereals and yogurts and such. Some foods may look healthfully prepared, but in reality aren't (hidden salt, fat, butter, oils, etc.). Celebrity had a specific eatery option that centralized these kinds of choices, such as LOWFAT yogurt/nuts/mueslix and fresh papayas for breakfast, for lunch they had POACHED salmon on greens. Some resturants mark certain items that are "health-conscious" choices and I just wanted to know if HAL also does that.

But regarding your very last sentence, I don't appreciate you being so quick to judge. I was only asking for information. Where in my initial post does it say I'm a picky eater? Isn't this board for sharing information to those who may not have cruised with HAL before? I hope so.

Again, thank you for your insight.

Seeing as "admirably" you are concerned to be eating healthy foods, I am sure you know what is healthy and what is not.

You certainly know that a piece of salmon which has been poached, cooked on the grill are good choices. Do you actually need for the food servers or menu writers to point out to you what you should select? I do not need for someone serving what is obviously a piece of salmon that is not encrusted in bread crumbs, that is not dripping in butter and does not have any sauce on it to tell me........pick this, it is healthy. Thankfully, I can figure that out for myself. How much "help" do we need.

If you see a bowl of cut up fruit, you do not need someone to tell you it is a better choice than a slab of cheesecake.

I guess it is a matter of how much hand holding one person wants vs. another. I have never had any problem on any HAL ship determining good, healthy food choices without any help. That is the advantage of Lido.....you can SEE the food you are selecting. You can SEE if it is loaded with a sauce; dripping in butter; encrusted with bread crumbs.

If Celebrity sees fit to "spoon feed" pax, good for them.....if that is what the pax want. If you like that on Celebrity, I am happy that Celebrity offers you what you want. HAL does indicate on the dinner menu heart healthy choices....that is sufficient IMO

Npeters....I have learned on every board there are those who are quick.....

I will be on my first HAL cruise next month and will be glad to let you know about the buffet. To be honest, I have heard the Buffet on HAL is better than on X...and I have been on Celebrity 3 times...so we shall see!

When are you sailing?

Hi Lois,

Thank you for your posting, and congratulations on your 5000+ member status.

This is also my first HAL cruise (later this month) so I have questions. Gosh, all I asked is whether or not HAL has a spa-like cafe. Apparently, it's NO. Fine! No need to berate me or Celebrity! I also read that HAL's buffet is excellent, I certainly didn't think Celebrity's was really very good. So if HAL has a great variety and offered lots of choices, then that's all that was needed to be said.

Actually, I'm not at all picky with food and I have a weakness for french fries, but since I enjoyed the spa cafe on X, I just wondered if HAL had the equivilent.

Sheesh, those kinds of judgemental posts make me wish I never asked. Isn't that sad?

Sorry, I did not understand your question to be specifically is there a special cafe for spa food. I thought you meant that you wanted to know if there were lean, healthy choices in the buffet?

npeters...ohhhh you are sailing before me!....you are going to find out how good it is ....this month...have a great cruise:D

7...I don't think it was your post.......but for someone to say someone else is too picky and shouldn't be on a cruise.....well, in my opinion that is quite a harsh statement. That is just my opinion.

I can't say enough about the variety of food in the Lido. If you can't find something there that you like to eat you are too picky and should not be going on cruises.

Sorry NPeters didnt mean to ruffle your feathers. It was not my intent to call you personally a picky eater. I dont know you and have no way of knowing if you personally are picky or not. My intent was to provide you comforting information that there was such a high variety of food in the Lido that virtual ANYBODY could find something there to eat. Apparantly my attempt to comfort you failed.

In answer to your very direct question. NO I do not believe the Zui has a special restaurant for spa/health foods.

That said, I still stand by my previous post. If you cant find something that you would like to eat in the Lido then you most definitely are too picky and should not be going on cruises. I am now not trying to provide comforting information, I am telling you that, based upon my recent experiece on the Zui and first hand knowledge about the food in the Lido that any NORMALLY picky person could find at least one thing to eat that they liked. If you cannot, you are TOO picky and should only eat someplace where you prepare your own food. You may even be the kind of picky that is a burden on service industy personel and other customers who have to witness their childish antics when the barely english speaking waiter cant answer their guestion about whether or not the lo main is made with whole wheat or enriched flour noodles.

Is that rude or funny. Cant tell, I am going for funny but a little light is going off in my head that someone will be insulted by this post. I hope more people are amused than insulted.

Npeters....I have learned on every board there are those who are quick.....

Hey Lois, was this about me? If so, what exaclty was I quick at? Was I quick in trying to provide an honest answer to someone's question and perhaps a little comforting information? If you are looking for someone who is "quick" perhaps you should look in a mirror.

Just so you know, Npeters post had been on the boards for over 5 hours and nobody had bothered to answer him. I saw the post, saw how long it had been there with no answer, and even though it was not a topic that I was particularly interested in I thought I should at least take the time and provide an answer.

And what exactly was wrong with my answer? I may be stupid but I sort of figured my answer would give NPeters a little comfort knowing that there was a wide variety of foods available in the Lido. Did my answer really seam insulting to you? Did it seem like I was really calling someone I dont even know, picky? If so, I am sorry.

Hi Joe, I don't want to get into a fight. Did your answer seem insulting to me? Yes it did, if that makes me a bad person..I am sorry too.

Maybe your form of comforting is different than mine. Sorry..I will keep my fingers quiet next time.

Okay Lois,

No fighting.

Funny thing is ... I was not, in any way shape or form, "trying" to insult anyone with my post (that I did, I am sorry) but people who think I was, had no problem "knowingly" trying to insult me. Kind of an "eye for an eye" thing.

Imagine if we were the Hatfields and McCoys. Hey, that would be a great movie "Hatfields and McCoys 2004 - Cruises Critic Calamity, Feudin in the Fjords"

I know, Fuedin in the Fjords is a stretch but what the hey.....

Archived