Maitre'D/Head Waiter

CruisinShips

I was on the Valor earlier this month, and I noticed on the last night the Maitre'D person was standing outside the restaurant and I saw someone hand him a tip envelope as they passed by.

Since my prior cruise experience was on a few Royal Caribbean ships, and therefore that is my reference, I am curious about something. On RC, a head waiter made his rounds around the dining room every night, making sure everyone was happy. He was typically a personable and fun sort, and I remember one time he came over and cut one of the kid's food for them, another time he cut off the tails on a shrimp dish, etc.

On the Valor, I honestly never saw anyone in that role. I am curious if the Maitre'D on Carnival is the same as the head waiter was on RC, or if they are two different people, and if so, does Carnival have someone who does the job I described (and we just didn't have a good one perhaps).

It would have never occured to me to tip the Maitre'D on the Valor since I wouldn't have known who he was except for when it was time to collect tips.

Well, there will be a difference of opinion on this; however, a good Maitre'd to me is someone who has the dining room running smoothly. He is the person who trains the staff, oversees the whole dining experience, performs the seating arrangements (including changing when requested) and just about is responsible for how your dining experience turns out.

I, personally, don't care if he stops by the table or does anything political during the cruise. If my dining experience was good, I thank the Maitre'd (along with waiter and assistants). I do this with a tip. The tip amount is much lower per person for the MD. Sometimes $2/3 per person is sufficient since there are so many on board.

On the Conquest and Pride, I tipped Ken Burns $10 each time for myself because I just think he's the best!

You should have gotten an envelope for tipping the Maitre'D left in your cabin. I would say that most don't tip him/her unless they do something special.

If I was the M'D, I would be trying to do something special for everyone ;) :p

On the Destiny it was the first time that the Maitre d', Assistant Maitre d' or the food services manager stopped by our table every night.

You may not have seen the Maitre d' in this role, but you most definately would have heard him, unless the Valor is different then other ships. :confused:

On the Destiny it was the first time that the Maitre d', Assistant Maitre d' or the food services manager stopped by our table every night.

You may not have seen the Maitre d' in this role, but you most definately would have heard him, unless the Valor is different then other ships. :confused:

Oh I heard the guy who made announcements every night at dinner, and I know that was the maitre'd. I was just wondering more about how his role compares (or is supposed to compare) with the head waiter position on RC ships (where they make the rounds every night), because this person never came around all week long. I was just curious...didn't impact me one way or another.

In most formal dining venues - in order of authority:

Maitre d' hotel - In charge of the entire dining area, making sure everything runs smoothly; also in charge of head waiter(s).

Head waiter - In charge of all waitstaff.

Table waiter - Takes care of a certain number of tables.

Asst. waiter - Assists the table waiter.

Maitre d' and Headwaiter are salaried. In general, they should not expect a tip. The table waiter and asst. are the ones to be tipped.

However, on Carnival ships, the envelope in your cabin on the last evening is for the Maitre d' - should you decide to tip him. I have never done this, unless he has performed a special service for me.

Maybe you know the answer to this Cotton...

Our "table waitress" as you put it above had a nametag that said "headwaitress" on it. I wasn't sure if she was the dining room headwaitress or if Carnival just titled the primary waiter/waitress of each team that way to differentiate from the assistant.

Our service was so good we thought maybe she was actually the "headwaitress" for the whole dining room even though she worked a section like anyone else. Any idea how Carnival does this? Even if she was salaried, she got plenty of extra tip from us just for the extraordinary service. (I once waitressed in 4 diamond place and she did a fabulous job!)

Archived