Diamond Princess Or Ncl Star?????

cruisepeople

We are booked on a 7 Day Mexican Riviera 2/5/05on the Diamond Pricncess. We received a great price in the mail for the NCL Star for the same month for about 200.00 a person cheaper, and the itinerary was much better, it was 8 day includes Acapulco and Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa, Mexico. This will be our 4th trip on princess ships.. Would you cruise on NCL or Diamond..

I was wondering if any one has been on the NCL Star and how they enjoyed there cruise.. Pictures would be great to see.

Thanks,
Michael

I was on the Star two years ago and my experiences were mostly positive. We were thinking about taking them on the repositioning cruise in September but waited too long.

So, we might sail on it again next year.

We are taking the transition cruise on the Star in Sepetember. We had first booked on the Princess Diamond but became concerned when we started reading that they might have to put the ship into dry dock to fix the damage it received in Victoria, when it hit the pier. Another factor was the kids program.
We are taking a 9 3/4 boy and a girl who will just have turned 11. They have their heart set on being in the same kids program. The ages did not break off right for us on the Diamond and when we called, we were told, that you cannot go into another age bracket. With the Star, they break the age at 9-12, so the kids will stay together.

Both ships are beautiful and I have read positive comments on both. Which ever one you decide, you will have a great trip.

We are thinking of taking the Star again, the beginning of March, for the Mexico trip. What I like is the extra day and the ports.

Carol

I haven't yet been on an NCL cruise, but have been on the Diamond's little sister, so I'll attempt to answer based on what I know. The Diamond will be a much larger ship offering 24 dining in the buffet, two extra-charge restuarants, and several dining rooms (some themed and some not, although you can get the same food in all of the restuarants from what I hear). Princess also offer fresh water pools that are open 24 hours.

From what I have gathered from the Star, it is a very nice ship and has a much better itinerary IMHO. In addition, the Star will be a much more relaxed cruise because of the freestyle concept. Whereas there are formal, semiformal, and casual nights on Princess, its always casual (with the others optional) on NCL. I've also gathered that the entertainment is better on NCL.

Personally, I LOVED Princess, but also like RCI very much. Princess does offer anytime dining, but it doesn't seem to quite compare to NCL's concept.

Hope this helps. Sorry I can't be more specific.

Itineray is much better on the Star, everything else goes to the Diamond though. I like PC dining better than Freestyle, but that is a matter of opinion... NCL Freestyle with all the dining options just takes up too much room on board. NCl is resort casual all the time which is a plus. I have not been on the Diamond, but have been on other Princess ships and they are great. I did the Star in Hawaii and didn't really think anything stood out about the ship. It has been completely redone since then, but there was no wow.

Hello, we are deciding on Mexican Riviera Princess Diamond or NCL Star. I just returned from Alaskan on the Sapphire(sis ship to Diamond). She is absolutely beautiful, everything stood out as wonderful(except alot of the buffet food) and we had a mini suite:) The rest of my family(6) has been on the Star quite a bit and really likes the ship(I think the casual dress etc helps)We have decided to do the Star because the itenary seems so much better. The prices are very comparable and you get 1 full extra day :) I do love the Sapphire though and if you decide on the Diamond, you will love her. Ck out the niteclubs in the daytime for great ocean/port views, uncrowded and really nice durng the daytime, espically since she is so new. Have fun. Liz

Remember .... A Diamond is Forever.... while a Star may twinkle in your eye it can not measure up to the pleasure of a Diamond Forever.... You will never regret a cruise on Princess.... Either way a cruise should be an experience of a life time.... ncl is no longer the ship line that they were two years ago... Since the Norway incident it appears that ncl is cutting back on expenses and food quality.... Just my opinion... have fun....

We had the same dilemma. Before we went on the Dawn Princess, I had already made up my mind to book on the Diamond. After being with Princess, it became a much tougher decision because, for me, there was nothing that set Princess apart from any other line. We had a great cruise, but there was nothing that made me absolutely have to cruise with them again. My decision was based on:

The Star has a better itinierary because it includes Acapulco and Zihua.
It is 8 night vs 7
I like the choice of restaurants better on the Star. Personal choice worked great, but there weren't the dining options, although the Diamond does have more.
Our service on NCL was by far the best of any cruise.(really?- yes!) We had better perks in our mini suite on NCL than a full suite on Princess.

That is just my opinion- the Diamond looks great, and after a few HORRIBLE first reviews, seems to have gotten on track. I think you would be happy on either one. If you know you like Princees, stay with them, but for the itinerary and price, go with NCL. :)

[quote name='Traveler39'] ncl is no longer the ship line that they were two years ago... Since the Norway incident it appears that ncl is cutting back on expenses and food quality.... Just my opinion... have fun....[/QUOTE]

IMHO All cruise lines are cutting back on expenses. Because of competition, cruises today are cheaper then they were 20 years ago as cost to operate contiue to rise. They are counting us to spend a lot of money once we get on the ship. This is ALL the mainstream cruiselines not just NCL.

The incident with the Norway has not effected NCL. It was well documented on this board that the Norway was never a huge finiancial success for NCL. Some even speculated that it forced NCL to sell to Star.

Originally posted by karfest:
[QUOTE] Our service on NCL was by far the best of any cruise.(really?- yes!) [/QUOTE]
Sorry if we have you feeling defensive about saying you enjoyed your NCL cruise:o If you say your service was great on NCL, I believe you.

[quote name='cruisepeople']We are booked on a 7 Day Mexican Riviera 2/5/05on the Diamond Pricncess. We received a great price in the mail for the NCL Star for the same month for about 200.00 a person cheaper, and the itinerary was much better, it was 8 day includes Acapulco and Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa, Mexico. This will be our 4th trip on princess ships.. Would you cruise on NCL or Diamond..

I was wondering if any one has been on the NCL Star and how they enjoyed there cruise.. Pictures would be great to see.

Thanks,
Michael[/QUOTE]

Michael,

I'm making the same decision for the week before you are. I've been on the NCL Sun and enjoyed it as well as the Coral and Golden Princess. On the two Princess cruises I was on, they were more sedate than NCL. In fact, the Coral being 10 days was like a floating assisted living facility. I'm leaning toward NCL for Mexico. The pricing I've looked at for both are similar. Is the deal you received from NCL or a travel agent? Which you mind sharing more details if you can?

We cruised the Diamond to Alaska in May and it's beautiful and BIG! It was our very 1st cruise though so we had nothing to compare it to. We are cruising NCL Sea in March 2005 and I'm worried that I will be dissappointed that it's not at nice as the Diamond. I know we will have a super time though and you will too! (Reason for choosing NCL for our Carribean cruise was definately price! Far less than Princess.)

Have fun!
Jean

5/04 Diamond Princess~ Alaska
3/05 NCL Sea~ Carribean

[quote name='Jem4life']We cruised the Diamond to Alaska in May and it's beautiful and BIG! It was our very 1st cruise though so we had nothing to compare it to. We are cruising NCL Sea in March 2005 and I'm worried that I will be dissappointed that it's not at nice as the Diamond. I know we will have a super time though and you will too! (Reason for choosing NCL for our Carribean cruise was definately price! Far less than Princess.)

Have fun!
Jean

5/04 Diamond Princess~ Alaska
3/05 NCL Sea~ Carribean[/QUOTE]

Hello Jean,

Management of expectaions is very important to avoid any disappointment. On top of going on a smaller, older cruise ships from a large, brand spanking new one, you are alos comparing with your first cruising expereince and Alaska which is just amazing. So do research and know what you are getting into and the good time will follow!

Believe me... I've done the research! I've been on line day after day looking at reveiws, pictures etc. of the NCL Sea and I know we will have a super time! We are cruising with about 11 people and it will be impossible not to have a good time! Planning shore excursions to make the most of the time we have at ports, just planning on having fun with no huge expectations.

Yes, Alaska is awesome and I'm glad it was my 1st cruise. It was certianly my dream vacation! Nothin' like livin' your dream! Now I'm "hooked" and will most likely become a "cruise addict" like so many of you!

228 days to go!
Jean

[quote name='Jem4life']

Yes, Alaska is awesome and I'm glad it was my 1st cruise. It was certianly my dream vacation! Nothin' like livin' your dream! Now I'm "hooked" and will most likely become a "cruise addict" like so many of you!

228 days to go!
Jean[/QUOTE]

Welcome to the club.

Archived