Mexican Riviera, your thoughts??

*KristenInCT*

To those of you who have sailed the Mexican Riviera, how did you like. Hubby and I are thinking of this itinerary for next fall. We have sailed the eastern, western, and southern Caribbean and are looking for a change. What are you thoughts as Carnival Pride will be doing this route. Thanks for any opinions.:)

The Pride is a magnificient ship. :) The link to my review and pictures is below. I enjoyed the trip to the Mexican Riviera, especially PV. There is a wonderful review done by Marklodi for the Pride and his first cruise. If you would like to see a copy (it was on the old board), I have it saved in word. E-mail me if you are interested.

If you are into snorkeling or diving the Carribean is the only way to go. Mazatlan is a dump, PV is nice once you get away from the port. The water is much colder in the Pacific. That is just one reporters opinion.

Very different atmospheres. West coast Mexico, mostly Mazatlan has a lot of poverty. It actually ranks as the worst port I have been at, so would look for itineraries w/o it. I think that Norwegian has the best itinerary in the Mex. Riveria... Aculpulco (2 am departure, Zihuatanejo, Puerto Vallarta, and Cabo.

There is plenty to do in all the ports. Snorkelling is not that great and you have deal with the west coast marine weather on the first and last days, but I like it.

As KKorman said It is cool the first and last sea days in the fall and winter months. I did it in January and it was cool. We are doing it again next month. Hope this time it will be warmer.I like to lay out in the sun on my sea days. In January this was too cool..

• 9 months later...

We are also from CT and are going on The Spirit from San Diego Oct 15th. The ports sound very exciting and I think the weather will be better leaving from San Diego. We did the Pride out of L.A. five years ago and had a very good time. I was wondering about excursions in Acapulco as we have to depart at 4 o'clock. I did not realize that we had such an early departure when I booked the cruise. Many of the activities are for the evening. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks I hope you find your cruise.

We are also from CT and are going on The Spirit from San Diego Oct. 15th. The ports sound very exciting and I think the weather will be better leaving from San Diego. We did the Pride out of L.A. five years ago and had a very good time. I was wondering about excursions in Acapulco as we have to depart at 4 o'clock. I did not realize that we had such an early departure when I booked the cruise. Many of the activities are for the evening. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks I hope you find your cruise.

• 1 year later...

We just returned from a 12/9 cruise to those ports. The divers excursion is very popular in Alcapulco. Ixtapa is a beautiful port. Our son and his girfriend did the horseback riding through the jungle and loved it, but the port is so beautiful and the venders a not pushy in Ixtapa so we just walked around and did a little shopping. We loved that port. In Manzanillo we took the turle excursion. It was great! Got to lrelease baby turtles into the sea, and went in a small boat through the mangroves and saw many different types of birds and a crocodile. Really enjoyed it.

To those of you who have sailed the Mexican Riviera, how did you like. Hubby and I are thinking of this itinerary for next fall.

Fall is Huricane season on the Mexican Riviera. I went Mid Sept 2005, and we were chased by the biggest hurricane of the season. It didn't wreck the cruise, other than we never made it to Puerto Vallarta. But that didn't ruin the cruise. It was a great cruise. We are cruising the Mexican Riviera again in May...

To those of you who have sailed the Mexican Riviera, how did you like. Hubby and I are thinking of this itinerary for next fall. We have sailed the eastern, western, and southern Caribbean and are looking for a change. What are you thoughts as Carnival Pride will be doing this route. Thanks for any opinions.:)

Did the MR three times in a row I liked it so much. The ports are filled with adventure and I never go on a cruise ship excursion.

Pride is a nice ship, see my review.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=5662

enjoy, u will love it.

The wack

Liberty 06

Sapphire Princess 06

Star 05

Pride 04

Zuerdidam 03

Sun 02

Destiny 01

Zaandam 00

Sea 99

Century 98

Leeward 97

Fantasy 96

Big Red 95

Triton 94

I have to say The Pride is the most beautiful ship I have been on. The cruise itself was great!!! The crew was very efficient and extremely friendly and the shows were great. However, having cruised many times in the Caribbean, I was sort of disappointed in the ports and the weather. We new ahead of time (thanks to these boards) to expect the first and last day to be cool but, it was still disappointed to only have one of the three sea days warm enough to lay out by the pool. So, when taking a Mexican Riviera cruise...just be prepared for "not-so-Caribbean" weather. Guess that's cause it ain't the Caribbean, huh???? LOL

If you are into snorkeling or diving the Carribean is the only way to go. Mazatlan is a dump, PV is nice once you get away from the port. The water is much colder in the Pacific. That is just one reporters opinion.

I second that. The ONLY reason we sail this itinerary is because we live in LA & my DH won't fly.

I agree with Bama. Love the PRide, probably my fave ship so far, but the Mexican Riviera is my least fave itinerary. Weather not great, ports just ok. Didn't have a bad time, just not a great time. Wouldn't do it again unless we had an AMAZING deal on cruise AND air...

My first reaction is that it's a long way to come (I see your are from CT) for a bunch of dirty cities. I would say if you are flying across country, do Alaska or Hawaii.;)

At least on the Western Carib you have snorkeling, Mayan ruins, etc... Tours on the Mexican Riveria are not worth it. We have done it a few times, and now we get off the ship late, get back early, and just wander around town. We now just do Mexician Riveria for the ship and because it is convenient (we are on the west coast).:)

We took the Pride on 10Dec. It was cool and mostly cloudy for the first day and half. then the weather was fantastic..until the last day. Daytime temps while in PV, Matz, and Cabo were in the mid 80's...and very sunny. We had a great time! I had been to PV on one of those publicly owned gray ships with numbers on the hull previously, so we knew what to do, expect, etc in PV. I agree that Mazatlan is kind of dumpy. Definitely FIND something to do that port. I heard many rants and raves about Randie's Horserides or something, and for Mazatlan Frank. Plan something there. Cabo was fun, and leisurely like PV.... lots of shopping, eating, etc.

If diving/snorkeling are your thing, just do it. Its different than the Carrib, but I would not say its better or worse. The Carrib is clearer and warmer. That doesnt mean the carrib is better. Its a completely different habitat. To say " don't do it" would be like me saying dont snorkel in the carrib because its not the Great Barrier Reef. Again, the habitats are different and worth exploring, if that is your thing. I am sure the tacos in Jamaica suck.... but you cant get jerk chicken in Mexico...

The Pride is b-e-a-utiful. You will have a fantastic vacation if that is what you set out to do, and I'm certain you didnt pay to be miserable.

Enjoy! The ship is great, the crew is awesome! Make the ports work for YOU.

What a bummer! We are going on the Mex Riviera in Feb, and i was hoping for some warm sunning weather. hopefully i'll be able to come back and tell you all these comments were wrong, but thank you for the heads up!

Jerseygirl, you will not be disappointed. The weather during the winter is awesome, temps in the 80s with sunshine every day. Sounds like some of the above posters may have cruised during the summer or fall months, where the weather is hit and miss, the same way it is in the Caribbean. In the winter on this coast, though, you can almost bet your house on sunshine.

Plus, in February, you'll probably get to see whales!

We took the Pride on 10Dec. It was cool and mostly cloudy for the first day and half. then the weather was fantastic..until the last day. Daytime temps while in PV, Matz, and Cabo were in the mid 80's...and very sunny. We had a great time! I had been to PV on one of those publicly owned gray ships with numbers on the hull previously, so we knew what to do, expect, etc in PV. I agree that Mazatlan is kind of dumpy. Definitely FIND something to do that port. I heard many rants and raves about Randie's Horserides or something, and for Mazatlan Frank. Plan something there. Cabo was fun, and leisurely like PV.... lots of shopping, eating, etc.

If diving/snorkeling are your thing, just do it. Its different than the Carrib, but I would not say its better or worse. The Carrib is clearer and warmer. That doesnt mean the carrib is better. Its a completely different habitat. To say " don't do it" would be like me saying dont snorkel in the carrib because its not the Great Barrier Reef. Again, the habitats are different and worth exploring, if that is your thing. I am sure the tacos in Jamaica suck.... but you cant get jerk chicken in Mexico...

The Pride is b-e-a-utiful. You will have a fantastic vacation if that is what you set out to do, and I'm certain you didnt pay to be miserable.

Enjoy! The ship is great, the crew is awesome! Make the ports work for YOU.

Sharkin, that is some of the best advice I've seen on these boards. Right on the money. Don't bemoan the things that are different from other places you've been, embrace the differences, and truly experience an amazing and different world from the East coast ports. There is a whole world out there to explore, and everywhere has it's own special things to offer you, if you want to see them.

Most of all, either on an excursion or on your own, leave the Hard Rock Cafe and Hooters far behind and truly experience these towns as much as you can in one day. There is so much to do and see. That is the way to enjoy a Mexican Riviera cruise.

These ports are full of culture, exciting excursions, amazing dining opportunities, whales and dolphins, and a taste of what Mexico is really about. If you've done the Caribbean, why not try something different? The cruise can be as magical or as mundane as you make it. The opportunity is there, but the choice is yours.

We just returned from a cruise to the Mexican Riviera on the Norwegian Star. We have done all the Carribean, Bahama and Bernuda cruises. I strongly agree with Johann and Sandra - enjoy the differences. We found the weather perfect, the cities beautiful and the people friendly.

In Acalpulco we did the tour with Rosie. It was awesome. In Ixtapa we did a beach day at Las Gatas. Great beach and lunch and drinks. At PV, we did the couples massage and lunch at Pipi's - a very unique, fun experience. In Cabo, we did a 4 hour sail/snorkel tour with PezGatos. This was the best snorkeling tour ever - we chased whales, snorkeled, a great light lunch, swam at Lover's Beach, watched the stinky sea lions and enjoyed the open bar. A very well-run and enjoyable trip.

We loved the Star and the itinerary. The Mex Riv is high on our list to do again but we have several other itineraries to try first.

We have done the Mex Riv twice and doing again from SF in Feb. There is plenty to do in the ports and things to see. You can learn a little about the Mexican culture, see some of the sights, ride horse with Randi's Happy Horses on Stone Island in Mazatlan, or take a van tour with Maz Frank. It has nice beaches to lay and enjoy, which isn't our thing. Haven't done Carribean yet because of the long flts to get to Miami or where ever to leave from and since we don't lie on the beaches or just snorkel, we haven't figured out best places to see for other things there. Enjoy the West Coast Mex Riv.

back for our second time to MR this time picking up two of the ports we missed because of ship probs...so Ixpata and Aca....

Matzalan go ride horses with randi....what an experience on the beach if you have never done before...and randi is so entertaining and her staff are great and what a STEP BACK into the old days on STONE ISLAND but very educational and interesting and definitely not a typical mexican tour

in PV go swim with the dolphins (hubby did off ship and lots cheaper) and really was a once in a lifetime experience to be that up close and personal with them...i am THINKING of doing it this go-around...

in CABO make sure to see LANDs END and stop and sun on LOVERs beach

my stop this time i did the town and shopping i just want to see a bit more of the city and relax on the beach....ALWAYs have to have just a BEACH stop specially if you dont come from an area where you can get to a beach..i live in the mts in utah...no OCEANs here

not sure what we will do in Ixpata but in Aca hubby wants to fish....he did that in Manzanillo last time (off ship) and he and his buddy had a great time out longer and caught more fish and less to a boat then when you go with the ship....

i think alot of times people do the cruises twice or more just cos they cant get it all in the first time and there really is alot you can do ...just

do some research...check out the posts....ask questions....the people here are ALWAYS willing to provide information and HELP YA OUT!!!

HOPE YOU HAVE A GREAT CRUISE and ENJOY THE PORTS!!

At PV, we did the couples massage and lunch at Pipi's - a very unique, fun experience. In Cabo, we did a 4 hour sail/snorkel tour with PezGatos. This was the best snorkeling tour ever - we chased whales, snorkeled, a great light lunch, swam at Lover's Beach, watched the stinky sea lions and enjoyed the open bar. A very well-run and enjoyable trip..

Hello CarolRick.....we'll be going to both Cabo & PV in April....can you give me more information about Pipi's? is this a hotel? is there a website? same questions for PezGatos...thanks for sharing your wonderful experiences :)

Archived