Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

localady

Prinsendam Cabin A196 and A197

Has anyone ever stayed in either of these cabins, A196 or A197 on the Prinsendam??????? These are 2 of the newer cabins in the back of the Promenade deck and my DH and I have booked one of them for our Prinsendam cruise.

I wondered if anyone had first hand experience with these cabins. Did you find a lack of privacy with the windows facing the back deck????:eek: Was the furniture configuration in these cabins ok???? I know these are newer cabins that HAL added after "inheriting" the ship.

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide!!!!!!:cool:

Okay posting this to the front page again in the hope someone can answer the question!!!:cool:

Saw your first message and hoped you would get an answer - we too are curious about these cabins!

Perhaps this will help get your query to the top of the heap and produce some answers - hope so, anyway

Thanks Trulli! I am really anxious to find someone who has sailed in these rooms to see if they enjoyed them!! Hopefully, someone will see the post who has had the opportunity to have cruised in one of them!!!:cool:

Has anyone ever stayed in either of these cabins, A196 or A197 on the Prinsendam??????? These are 2 of the newer cabins in the back of the Promenade deck and my DH and I have booked one of them for our Prinsendam cruise.

I wondered if anyone had first hand experience with these cabins. Did you find a lack of privacy with the windows facing the back deck????:eek: Was the furniture configuration in these cabins ok???? I know these are newer cabins that HAL added after "inheriting" the ship.

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide!!!!!!:cool:

Still no response(s) - Hellooo! Anybody out there?

For those of us thirsting for information on these cabins, there was an article about 'Best Cabins for your dollar' in the July 2003 Code Nast Traveler. In it they quote Cheryl Smiley, a cruise agent, as saying: "Cabins A196 and 197, located at the stern, are extra-large with oversized balconies - 36 additional square feet inside and 24 outside - but cost the same as the others in their category. They also open onto a huge deck with a whirlpool..."

Another point that may explain why these are different is that on what I presume was an original deck plan, still showing on Expedia's website, they are indicated as Cat. SS, not Cat. A, and the present Cat. SS cabins on that deck are shown as Cat.A! I guess HAL had a last minute change of plans when they added these 'lanai' cabins.

Hi Trulli-

Thanks for telling me about the Conde Nast information!! I also found that other cruise sites still had them listed as SS cabins, but I know I reserved it at an A cabin price! All of HAL's literature now shows them as A cabins and show the SS's in the middle (a horrible cabin location in my opinion, with no privacy at all!!:eek: ). Thanks again for the additional information!!!

Would still love to hear from someone who has sailed in either of these cabins!!!!:cool:

Don't get all excited, I haven't sailed in either of these cabins - but I am booked in A193 for 9-20-05. How do you know that A196 and A197 have windows facing that deck side, and not just a wall? Just curious because if it's a wall and not a window I might try to switch. I don't think I'd like windows there even for the larger size.

I believe there is because of this picture of the back of the Prinsendam. If you look closely you will find that there are windows to the right and behind the 2 SS suites. Hope this helps!

1893241001_prinsendam(2).jpg.e16f23ab47e5d057837f2e219f848a80.jpg

Thanks localady. Sure do look like windows - big ones at that! I think I'll stick with my A193. I really like the idea of having that deck area to ourselves though. I wonder how strictly enforced it is?

localady: well, after meeting with our local cruisin' "group" yesterday, we (my DW and I) are only ones who want to take the July 26, 2005 Prinsendam cruise--everyone else wants to go on the June 20, Westerdam sailing, a 10-day cruise. I know it would fun to sail with our "buds", but we really like the 14-day itinerary! So, we are primed to book it and I am really intrigued by those 2 cabins. I will let you know when and if we commit for "your" cruise! We have never been bothered by having a cabin on the aft end of the ship. I hope you receive some feedback on those cabins! Maybe see you on the Prinsendam!

Bill S-

That would be great!! We are really looking forward to the cruise because of the fact that we get to cruise the Kiel Canal in addition to the other wonderful port!. The Westerdam is of a size that it makes that impossible. I frankly enjoy the aft cabins, find that they are more stable that close to the bow. Also found that flights are more reasonable as it is roundtrip Amsterdam. Look forward to your decision. :cool:

Hi Localady--

We were on the Prin. in Europe in the summer of 2002. I made a point of going to look at the "new" cabins, and went out onto the private aft deck. My memory tells me that those are solid walls --can't believe I wouldn't have noticed if there were large windows on both sides of those 2 center cabins. Also, if you look at the Prinsendam deck plans in any of their catalogs, it is shown as a wall, with only the normal end of cabin glass doors on 196 and 7.

I looked at the picture that was posted and wondered if it could have been reflection from the glass patios of 198 and 199. Sorry I didn't look into those 2 end cabins-----my guess is that if you call HAL, they would be able to give you a definative answer.

Enjoy the lovely little Prinsendam. With luck, we, too, will be on this cruise.

Janet

Janet-

Thanks for the information!!! Hope you are able to take the cruise too, it would be an awful lot of fun to have other CCer's on board, and possibly a way to tour St. Pete's without having to take the Ship's shore excursions! Hope you are able to sign on!:cool:

OK localady, you have company on this cruise! I spoke to our agency this morning and they are going to book it for DW and I. Looking forward to a great itineary, a relaxing cruise experience and meeting you, hopefully, Janet, and others on-board! :) :) :) :)

Great to hear BillS! We look forward to meeting you and your DW! :D This is something for you all to look forward to in light of your recent lose and cancelled cruise. Tell me, whatr kind of room did you book? Wondered if you would be on the Promenade with us, the private back deck looks so nice! :cool:

I'm maybe way off base here but I'd think that any windows looking out on the open deck space would be glazed as are Lower Prom deck cabins - you can see out but people can't see in ......there's a caution to that - when your cabin lights are on, your drapes should be drawn.

Looking at the deck plan, seems that there are areas designated as 'public'. Appears too that the 10 cabins in that location have access to the whirlpool and deck area and I've venture to suggest that there's nothing to hinder others from wandering through. I wonder just how 'private' the deck space for 198 and 199 SS cabins is.

localady: well, we are going to be neighbors, almost . . . . we have booked A197 on the port side across from your cabin. Looks like an interesting cabin and a great value. . . .we hope! Maybe someone who has sailed in one of those cabins can provide us with some "inside" info!

localady: correction-in a calmer moment I realized that we are on the starboard side-sorry for any confusion. Also, we asked for eary seating. How about you?

We are on the Prinsendam this Christmas for their 16 nt Holiday cruise. Here is what I have learned about those Promenade deck rooms. These rooms were all added when HAL acquired this ship. Apparently, HAL can't make up their minds on the categories available. They now have CAT AA, A, & SS.

We are in a AA193. When we booked this cruise HAL offered us an upgrade to CAT A but unfortunately Cabin A196&197 were already booked, so due to the fact that the AA cabins on the Prom deck are larger than the A's on the other decks, we opted to book the AA Cat. These cabins on the Promenade deck are all a bit larger both inside and on the verandas and none of these cabins have walk-in closets (more like what the othere HAL ships have, a row of closets inside the door of the cabin). I was told that HAL tries to restrict the hot tub and chaises to only the passengers on that deck. I will post a full review sometime in early January. Hope you enjoy your trip. We are looking forward to this cruise very much.

PS I found out yesterday that A197 on my cruise was now available. I had been wait listed for one of these 2 cabins. However, HAL wanted $1100 additional to change our cabin. In spite of the fact that we were offered a CAT A for free when we booked back in March. Seems a little cheap to me that HAL won't move us, but there is no way I would pay an additional $1100 for this. GLTA

HELENP- How very strange in that the AA cabins on our cruise (7/26/05 Baltic)actually cost more than the A cabins the last time I looked. :confused: Will look forward to your review!:)

BillS- Excellent to hear!!! I think it will be a great deal of fun having the larger veranda and our "private veranda" in the back of the Prom deck!!:D Great to hear you have booked A197, you are right, we will be on the Port side in A196! Look forward to meeting you and DW!!!!:cool:

P.S. We are scheduled for an early seating also, so that we can enjoy the long twilight hours after on the veranda or in the hottub!

helenp: THANKS for the interesting post about the Promenade deck cabins! We like the convenience to the dining room and to the lounges, etc on that deck.

localady: yep, we are looking forward to this especially since we had to also cancel our November Hawaii cruise-related to DW's family situation, but we cancelled prior to final payment date (next weeK), so no "penalty". Unless we can find a quick repositioning cruise along the west coast next spring or a very early Alaska cruise next May, it looks like the Baltic trip will be our next cruise-wow 11 months away-arrgghh! I will try to email you about other details and plans, questions, etc, using your profile.. . . . . . . well that didn't work. If you want to email me, use: w4hmv@aol.com and use "CC" or "CruiseCritic" or something similar in the subject line. Thanks!

helen - we are in that exact cabin later next year!! I hope you'll take lots of photos of it which if you don't want to post for all to see, I hope you might e-mail me. I hope you have a great cruise and if you learn any additional information about this cabin before you leave, please post and let us know!

We are on the Prinsendam this Christmas for their 16 nt Holiday cruise. Here is what I have learned about those Promenade deck rooms. These rooms were all added when HAL acquired this ship. Apparently, HAL can't make up their minds on the categories available. They now have CAT AA, A, & SS.

We are in a AA193. When we booked this cruise HAL offered us an upgrade to CAT A but unfortunately Cabin A196&197 were already booked, so due to the fact that the AA cabins on the Prom deck are larger than the A's on the other decks, we opted to book the AA Cat. These cabins on the Promenade deck are all a bit larger both inside and on the verandas and none of these cabins have walk-in closets (more like what the othere HAL ships have, a row of closets inside the door of the cabin). I was told that HAL tries to restrict the hot tub and chaises to only the passengers on that deck. I will post a full review sometime in early January. Hope you enjoy your trip. We are looking forward to this cruise very much.PS I found out yesterday that A197 on my cruise was now available. I had been wait listed for one of these 2 cabins. However, HAL wanted $1100 additional to change our cabin. In spite of the fact that we were offered a CAT A for free when we booked back in March. Seems a little cheap to me that HAL won't move us, but there is no way I would pay an additional $1100 for this. G

Helen, my husband and I are on this Holiday cruise in cabin A169. We are looking forward to this cruise, mabe we will meet.

Lorrie

SHMABBIES - Can you tell me if your cabin was an A or AA? Just curious.

It seems like HAL doesn't know if they charge more for the AA or A Cat on the Prinsendam. Anyone who has info on this please post.