La Buena Vida?

teachnh

For those of you that have eaten there I have a few questions. What is on their menu? Is it safe to have a Margarita there? I love Margarita's, but don't want to make myself sick over it. How expensive is it there?

Thanks! I will be there in 11 days! Yipeee!

We just returned from Calica, spent Cinco de Mayo at La Buena Vida. The best fish tacos I have ever eaten! Grouper, I think. The salsa is fresh chopped, with a little heat. Yum!

The bill for our party of eight, which included meals and killer margaritas totaled less than $100, plus tip.

The view can't be beat...right on the beach.

If you are going with Eduardo and Bonnie, then you are in for a real treat! The day we spent in Calica with them was the best organized, most fun of any excursion I have every taken in the Western Caribbean. Ed and his driver, Theo, picked us up at the port right on schedule...took us to Tulum where we met up with his wife Bonnie, who measured us all for snorkel equipment including wet suits and vests for any who wanted them. Bonnie then arranged for a private guide take us through the ruins. Mosiah was very knowledgeable about the history of the Mayan culture and the ruins itself...educational and fun! And plenty of time to walk along the beach after the tour.

After the tour, we snorkeled in a cenote, passing into several caves and seeing sites that I never thought I would every see! Ed was a wonderful teacher, as a couple in the group of 8 had never snorkeled before, and at first were a little freaked out about snorkeling in the dark caves system. On the way out of the jungle, a puma wandered into the road in front of our van, much to the excitement of all of us!

After La Buena Vida, we all thought we had a full day, but then Ed insisted that we had enough time to snorkel in a private lagoon with lots of tropical fish on the way back to the ship. Unbelievable! The water was brackish, but crystal clear...and the fish! It was like snorkeling in an aquarium! Absolutely magical!

Whatever you do in Calica, Have a great time! We sure did, and can't wait to return!

Ruth

Ruth-

Thanks, I think you made my night. I am so excited to go. We are going through Edventures. We are seeing the ruins, doing some snorkeling, a few zips on the zipline then stopping at La Buena Vida. Killer margaritas?? I can't wait! :D

• 3 weeks later...

Teachnh,

I would like to hear how your trip went?

My family of 7 and I are going with Ed and Bonnie on June 21st in Calica. We would like to do everything, but we have to make a choice because we aren't in port long enough.

We would like to do the Tulum ruins, the cenotes, the turtle swim, the lagoon aquarium and the zip line. Anyone have any comments on which thing I should leave out? Which one can't we miss? Has anyone ziplined with Ed and Bonnie?

We are also going to enjoy lunch with them . You are recommending La Vida Buena. It sounds great. What about Blue Parrot with the swings..anyone want to comment?

Thanks for any advice and thoughts!

SunnyD

We went with eddie a couple of years ago and it was a wonderful day. We had intended to do lunch but after touring the ruins (boy was it hot there), we spent the rest of our time in the water. Do not miss any of the snorkeling opportunities.

Sorry I am just getting back to you now. We loved our day with Ed & his crew! My father's health hasn't been so great since his heart attack and they were very caring towards him. Tulum was very hot so they turned their van on so my dad could sit in the ac for a few minutes to cool down. We did the ruins of Tulum with a private guide. It was wonderful. A very beautiful spot. Then after we went to do the zipline. I thought this was just ok. It was fun but not very scenic and I would have loved it if the zip was higher. Still for the price it was a good time. We snorkled in Turtle Bay. It was incredible! We saw large turtles, a huge stingray, a few berracuda and many fish. That was my favorite part of the day. We finished the day at La Buena Vida for happy hour. The chicken nachos were great. The margarita was also good! :D

So, if I had one thing to cut out it would be the zipline. You will love your day!

Hey,

I would definately cut out the zipline!! We had a group of 13 that went and, yeah it was ok but we would of rather had more time for everything else. We had Eddie call La buena Vida before we got there so we didn't have to wait as long for our food. None of us got sick off of the food. Eddie is a regular there and everything is safe. We added in cliff jumping which was pretty cool and a swim at a private beach, it was beautiful!!! Sea turtles were awesome!!! Any questions let me know!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I would definately cut out the zip line, as it is very flat there. If you go to La Bueno Vida don't forget the guacamole. There are quite a few beach bars in Playa that have the swings. The Blue Parrot is a little overrated, and there are some local places that are better. If you walk down Calle 12 towards the Blue Parrot theres a great one on the left that I can't remember the name of, but I think it was El Pirita. Here are a few snorkeling pics of the turtles in Akumul. It was pretty cool snorkeling with all those turtles.

080-1.jpg.40854225c2bba21af1f90d63f38f9fdb.jpg

323461906_082retouched.jpg.8ba52fc4348f354480d20a363d7d7e75.jpg

I think this was La Bueno Vida . It stormed for about a half an hour while we were there. Just enough time to sit and have a Margarita and some guac.!

639127929_095retouched.jpg.51ef6798128858fd089eb893995aff40.jpg

We love the Buena Vida. Good food and good drinks great location. Go to Yal-ku lagoon for the best snorkeling in the Maya Riviera IOHO, and/or in Akumal Bay to see some sea turtles. Yal-ku is about 3/4 of a mile north of La Buena Vida and Akumal Bay is the same distance south.

As for cool beach bars (most with swings) we have a list of our favorites in Playa, Akumal, Uxpu-ha and Tulum (including La Buena Vida) on our blog:

http://playazone.wordpress.com/about/beach-clubs/

And for a real fun alternative to Zip lines try Hidden Worlds new Skycycle. We did it last week and were amazed. It's now one of our favorite tours. We have a report at:

http://playazone.wordpress.com/2007/06/29/skycycle-pedaling-through-paradise/

Tony and Cheri

Luna Blue Hotel and Garden

Archived