Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sunny Beaches

Any Recommendations for the Roulottes?

Any recommendations for the roulottes? Ones that shouldn't be missed? Did you notice any names or do they even have names? I'm trying to figure out a good central meeting place for several of us to meet to have drinks or dinner before the cruise.

Thanks for your help! This board is a wealth of information and all you Cruise Critics are great!

hi there

i cant remember the name but red one in the centre that does pizza and crepes

the pizza was awesome and the oreo crepes were divine

have a great trip it is pure paradise

How late do they stay open? Do they accept U.S. dollars? And, did you try the Poisson Cru (spelling?)? What'dya think?

they open at 6 and are open until around 10 i think

sorry we did not try the poison cru as we both dont like seafood

i would imagine that they would take us dollars

Hello. I just returned from FP yesterday....we ate at a roulotte called "Chez Mamy" -- it is the last one on the strip on the right hand side as you walk from the ship to the end of the pier. She does have a sign. This roulotte is where alot of the ship's crew eat on a regular basis.

We tried it twice -- first time I had chicken chow mein and it was yummy. The second time I had the lemon chicken and it was really excellent. My husband had the beef chow mein twice. The prices are around 11.000 Francs per person so this was a real bargain after spending triple that on breakfast at the Sheraton.

I am not sure if they accept US dollars as we paid in francs. There is an ATM machine right across the main road from the ship if you just want to obtain some francs. There is also one at the airport. Just make sure your bank will authorize the withdrawals (mine cut me off and we had to use hubby's ATM card). The rate of exchange is much better at the ATM machine than it is at either the ship or hotels.

Have a great trip!

It's going to be 'hit or miss' with the roulettes and USD. Some take them, some don't. To be safe, I would exchange a small amount of money. nearly every place else preferred USD in Papeete when we were there.

Lovesyorkies - that was interesting. When we were there, the best exchange rate bar none was on the ship. However, they wouldn't buy back any CFP, so you had to be aware of that or be preared to change it back on land. And did you have a fabulous cruise? We were hoping to get back there next summer, but don't know if that will happen now because of the TP moving to Alaska. Guess we'll just have to play it by ear.

Charlie

Crepes with melted chocolate (or Nutella, I think) with huge chunks of pineapple with vanilla ice cream and whipped cream on top. :p I can still taste it. That was my dinner! I can't remember the name, but the truck had a big sign that said Crepes on it. Definitely not to be missed.

Hi Charlie/Spikesgirl

The ship and the Sheraton were both giving $0.80 to $1 USD. My bank gave me $0.86. That is almonst 10% higher.

Yes, we had a fabulous cruise! We are totally depressed to be home. We want to go back to do the Marquesas Islands itinerary and like you, I'm a little stressed about the TP going to Alaska. In fact, two different crew members told us that Princess was taking the ship out of there for good because of the high costs associated with docking and running from FP. I dont know if this is true but it sure stinks :mad:

Cathy

Lovesyorkies

Did you really mean 11,000 XPF pp (about US$125) or 1,100 XPF?

Does anybody know if the roulottes are there on Sunday?

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! We leave Thursday and can't wait!!

Cathy (lovesyorkies) - likewise, we have two only we refer to them as Yorkshire Terrorists!

Again, thank you all for the suggestions and dessert for dinner sounds like a great idea!