Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

smarks

car rental

Has anyone rented a car in Calica? How much and who should I rent from? I plan on taking family of 5 to Xel Ha, and maybe go by Tulum just for photo opt. I hear that a cab is $40 each way. So maybe renting a car would be the better way to go. Any suggestions? Thanks for the info in advance. This board is the best.:)

did you figure out how you will travel to xelha from calica? we plan to go to xelha also and $40 per person each way sounds extreme. any info would help.

thanks

ps its almost monday...

the drive is easy, we rented jeeps at the dock through executive, email them for reservations and/or pricing. It was quite reasonable and unlike on another post are jeeps were nice. we kept it open so we could experience the outdoors but they were airconditioned if that is your thing.

The highways were fine and we saw very little traffic. Stopped at a gas station on way back and they still filled your car and washed your windows. i would not hesitate renting a car or driving there again,

I did not rent a car when ported in Calica, but would not hesitate to rent in the future. As others posted, the driving appeared easy, light trafic, good main roads, etc. Executive was the only car rental on the dock.

As an aside, after spending a day there, I cannot understand why more ships do not go threre, but then that may ruin that area. It was great.

Highway 307 is a very easy highway to drive. The key to keep in mind is to move right whenever a crazy taxi flashes its lights and tries to pass you. The hi8ghway itself is in good shape, and its easy to find the main places you would be going to.

I'm renting from Executive for my upcoming Inspiration trip to Calica. Make a reservation on their site for Playa del Carmen, then email them with your confirmation number asking them to move the pick-up location to the Calica pier. They are very friendly and helpful. They have cars for as low as $10 per day plus $11 per day for the required liability insurance. Most credit cards will cover CDW and LDW, so don't get ripped off by buying those coverages if you don't need them. Check with your credit card issurer to be sure.

And when making a left hande turn, move to the right (instead of stopping as we do), then turn left across the drive lane and oncoming traffic. But if you happen to have a turn lane in the middle, then use that.

Hi swampland07, I just returned from our cruise today. I rented my car from executive for $57.00 total. I chose a nice dodge that would hold 5 plus luggage. All of us had snorkeling equipment. The car was like new. The roads are great and it is easy to get to Xel Ha. The highway is well marked. It took about 30 mins. to get there. The car was waiting when we got off the ship, no problems, just don't try to use a Discover Card. Parking at Xel Ha is free and entrance fee is $39 or $59 all inclusive. I think you can save a few bucks if you buy online. You are going to love this place, it is fantastic for adults and kids alike. Have fun. If you need more info, just ask. Happy sailing.:)

Were there any good places to rent scooters we were in bahamas last year and it was a zoo people get crazy around money.

...Most credit cards will cover CDW and LDW, so don't get ripped off by buying those coverages if you don't need them. Check with your credit card issurer to be sure.

Do check. In fact, very few credit card issuers in the U.S. provide rental insurance in Mexico, because Mexican law does not recognize U.S. insurance. If you have an accident, you will be held until you pay for damages if you are uninsured. Buy the insurance!