Liquor Police?

Pernilla

My husband drinks a particular brand of Scotch that is not usually sold on a ship. We usually bring a bottle in our luggage, and he drinks it only in our cabin. However, the "Know Before You go" booklet says that any liquor brought on board will be 'stored' for safe keeping and returned the night prior to debarking.

Do they honestly go around and collect bottles from your cabin?

You could call Ship's Services to see if you can buy his 'particular brand' in advance of boarding and it would be ready and waiting for you in your cabin when you board.

HAL permits us to bring wine and champagne aboard. No other liquor is permitted.

My husband drinks a particular brand of Scotch that is not usually sold on a ship. We usually bring a bottle in our luggage, and he drinks it only in our cabin. However, the "Know Before You go" booklet says that any liquor brought on board will be 'stored' for safe keeping and returned the night prior to debarking.

Never, never happen to us in all our cruising, and we have never hid it in our room. I think the room stewards have more to do then worry about what booze you have in your room. Bring you special Scotch, be happy.

Pernilla, your husband might want to place the bottle of scotch in the drawer underneath his underwear. I don't think that the cabin steward would be too interested in checking through these ... ;)

Donald.

How many of you have checked your hard liquor with no problems?? More important, have you ever had you checked liquor confiscated? On RCCL Monarch in Ensenada I brought on Brandy with no problem, but assume HAL may be stricter. Am I wrong?

How many of you have checked your hard liquor with no problems?? More important, have you ever had you checked liquor confiscated? On RCCL Monarch in Ensenada I brought on Brandy with no problem, but assume HAL may be stricter. Am I wrong?

I really don't feel that Hal is stricter then other cruiseline. Last time we sailed, several month ago, we took on several bottles of wine (which are allowed) and a bottle of Tequila, a special kind that I can only get down in Mexico. We just packed in our carry-ON's and they did not bother us at all.

I can tell you that it's been hit and miss on HAL as far as bringing liquor on board and having it confiscated. Now, we've never brought liquir on board at embarkation but we have done the dastardly deed in certain ports of call after purchasing Kahlua, Crema de Vie, Curacao Liqueur, three bottles of Wang Wang and the likes. They have been confiscated at times in return for a claim check but other times, the security guys have allowed us to take it to the cabin.

Regardless, if your hubby's got his heart and mind set on that special bottle of Scotch, put it in your checked luggage (wrapped tight) and put it in between his skivies once on board. Unless your room steward will go through your drawers to make a life-size mannequin (he won't) hubby's Scotch will be as safe as a new born Kangaroo baby in Mum's pouch!;)

Pack the bottle of scotch in your checked luggage and you will be fine. Your room steward will make sure you have plenty of ice and fresh glasses. I have never had a problem with keeping liquor in my room on any cruise in 20 years.

We have never bothered to put any kind of alcohol in our checked luggage. We pre-order from ship services. I would call ship services to see if they carry your DH;s brand pf scotch.

We have seen security take a couple of bottles from people's carry-on luggage. As said - it seems to be hit and miss.

We have seen in some of the Caribbean and Mexican ports a table set up inside the ship right at the security check point. A crew member is assigned to take any bottles and put the passengers name on it. Then they store it till the end of the cruise.

One time when we got back on the ship in St Thomas they had several boxes and dozens of bags of alcohol that they had taken from the passengers.

And all that liquor has to then be packed into people's suitcases to get it home since the airline rules banning carrying any liquids aboard.

You risk having all those liquor bottles breaking inside your suitcase, ruining your clothes and maybe other people's as well. If your liquor is dripping out of your bag, it can drip into other people's bags as well. :(

And all that liquor has to then be packed into people's suitcases to get it home since the airline rules banning carrying any liquids aboard.

You risk having all those liquor bottles breaking inside your suitcase, ruining your clothes and maybe other people's as well. If your liquor is dripping out of your bag, it can drip into other people's bags as well. :(

I usually purchase a $29.99USD 1-litre bottle of Grey Goose vodka in the ships' duty free shops (that brand would cost about $67.00USD in Vancouver, Canada!). Ever since the new airline rules came into effect, I've packed the bottle (wrapped and re-wrapped in three or four plastic bags) in my suitcase, insulated between layers of clothes. I've never had a breakage. Should there ever be a breakage, I think that the plastic bags would minimize the leakage.

A 1-litre bottle full of liquor weighs five or six pounds, which means that I can bring only 44 pounds of clothes and toiletries when I begin a cruise, because the maximim weight that I am allowed on my airline flights is 50 pounds. I understand that Americans are allowed 70 pounds on their domestic flights. I always bring a suit for the formal nights, but had to discontinue bringing a dinner jacket, not through a desire to be "arrogant" or to "flout the rules."

Donald.

My understanding is that almost all U.S. carriers limit our allotment to 50 pounds. For a while, Jet Blue permitted 70 pounds but they have reduced their limit.

For most domestic flights, so far, we are permitted to check two bags per person. The clock is ticking on that though. It's a matter of time until we will pay to check any luggage.

No, but when you come onboard, your carryon luggage will be X-rayed ... just like in an airport. Theoretically, they will snatch it from you then.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I have seen them remove and confiscate bottles of liquor from carryon bags. If they find it in your carryon, they will hold it and return it to you the last night of the cruise.

They have made their rules well known. Only Wine and champagne are permitted to be brought aboard by guests.

I think the point is to consume it during the cruise. If so, there hopefully wouldn't be any liquor to cart home.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I can tell you that it's been hit and miss on HAL as far as bringing liquor on board and having it confiscated. Now, we've never brought liquir on board at embarkation but we have done the dastardly deed in certain ports of call

I can't recall which port it was, but on my Veendam TransAtlantic, one of our ports had an entire shopping area INSIDE of the port building. You go through security BEFORE you get to that shopping area. One of the stores in there (there were many) was a duty-free liquor shop. People were buying stuff left and right ... because there was no additional security scanning to go through when boarding the ship. The security scan was done at the entrance to the port ... BEFORE you would hit this mall area.

So, if you bought liquor in this mall, you could just take an added step and buy a large plastic shopping bag (handily sold in the store right next to the liquor one) and walk your bottles right onboard. Since there was no additional security screening onboard the ship, and the bottles were concealed nicely in the large shopping bag, who's to know?

Many, many people were doing just that and I saw no one being stopped by HAL personnel.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I think the point is to consume it during the cruise. If so, there hopefully wouldn't be any liquor to cart home.

Blue skies ...

--rita

MY point is that liquor which has been confiscated either upon initial embarkation or when reboarding in ports, canot be consumed while aboard. Therefore, liquor that is returned at the end of the cruise must be carted home.

If they don't have it, they can't be drinking it throughtout the cruise.

I

So, if you bought liquor in this mall, you could just take an added step and buy a large plastic shopping bag (handily sold in the store right next to the liquor one) and walk your bottles right onboard. Since there was no additional security screening onboard the ship, and the bottles were concealed nicely in the large shopping bag, who's to know?

Many, many people were doing just that and I saw no one being stopped by HAL personnel.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Did You? :D

On our Trans-Atlantic Westerdam cruise, in one of the ports I purchased a bottle of Brandy as a gift..HAL confiscated it when I re-boarded & returned it to me the last night..

We occasionally purchase liquor in St. Thomas or O.B. & if packed properly there is no danger of breakage..Most people know this..Packed it in double 2 Gallon Zip lock bag & some bubble wrap & placed it in between clothes..We've also flown with liquor in our luggage, wrapped the same way, & never had a problem.. :) Betty

We had several bottles of wine wine in a carry on. If they xray the carry ons, how did they know we had wine and not hard liquor?

The security guys know the difference between wine and the hard stuff. They usually take a peek inside the bag either before or after it goes in the machine

I can't recall which port it was, but on my Veendam TransAtlantic, one of our ports had an entire shopping area INSIDE of the port building. You go through security BEFORE you get to that shopping area. One of the stores in there (there were many) was a duty-free liquor shop. People were buying stuff left and right ... because there was no additional security scanning to go through when boarding the ship. The security scan was done at the entrance to the port ... BEFORE you would hit this mall area.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Sounds like the infamous flaw in the system to me;) ! Good for you and your fellow pax!

Archived