Pride news 5/20/07

cruisestitch

Thanks for the update Pinkie!! I ams so glad everything has been rectified!

I will admit that I flushed a few tissues out of habit while on the Pride. We were lucky not to have to play Flushin' Roulette although I have experienced a ship-wide toilet malfunction on RCCI once - NOT FUN!!

I asked this question in my last post and no one answered it...maybe you don't know, but here it is again. I thought someone mentioned the Pride going into drydock soon. Anyone have any dates? Just curious as I'm on the Pride later this year. Perhaps I misunderstood all together.

Thanks!

Jane

I don't recall any posting of mine implying that the Pride's door was in the water; and the situation has seemed to be somewhat serious. In any case, here are today's e-mails from my friend aboard...

8 am this morning CST -- late afternoon in France......

When we left this morning there was a huge crane in place - obviously trying to manhandle the 20 ton door. All of us were excited because the crane was not in use and it appeared that the door was in place.

During lunch - the captain gave us an update - work is progressing and presently they are on the inside of the marina attempting to secure it with a hinge and bolt. He is hopeful that all work can be completed. The problem is that we are under a time frame due to the tides and lock. The latest we can leave this pm would be 9:30 - otherwise we will be here until tomorrow. So - we are all crossing our fingers and “tors” and hoping the work will be successful and that we can sail before the 9:30 pm deadline. The remaining question is - can the tenders be used in the future. Our trip through Scotland and Norway do require the use of tenders as we can not dock at some of these ports. The more important question is - Where are we going next? The schedule is all screwed up - the only thing we know for sure is that we have to be in London on May 26!!!!!

2 pm this afternoon CST -- 8 or 9 pm France time......

Our status as of 8:30 pm is - they are still welding and then the inspectors have to give us clearance before we can depart the shipyard. The Captain gave an update at 7 pm and said if everything goes well we may be able to sail away shortly after midnight. My gut feeling is that we will not leave until tomorrow. Divers still have to inspect the keel and give us clearance. So here we sit in the shipyard and are proud to say that we have experienced dry dock - I know of no passengers who have ever gone through this event.

In the event we do get away tonite our goal is to reach Rouen the day after tomorrow. Trust me there are very upset passengers but we are going with the flow - as long as we wake up on the right side of the grass there is no need to get in a tizzy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Am not sure if we will have email capabilities after we leave the shipyard - it seems to be a hit and miss but trust me we will keep you informed of our adventures.

Oh yea, life is good onboard our Seabourn Pride!!!!!!!!!!!

1. The tenders do not launch from the Marina, so tendering is not an issue. I have no idea where that came from...and it wasn't the captain or crew.

2. There was no "structural damage".

3. There was no need to lash the marina door to ship because there was a fear it was going to fall off.

4. MY information this morning was the the repair was already completed. Also, I am not sure how 9PM is a drop dead time for departure and then talk is of departing after midnight. Is the information from an email of yesterday??

The updates are appreciated, and I am not wanting to "shoot the messenger", but I am trying to make sure there is accurate information.

As for upset guests. I am sure there are quite a few. I don't know many that would like to spend part of their long planned holiday in a shipyard. (OK, I might, but that is another story.;) ) I am sure that Seabourn will take good care of them once the extent of the situation is determined.

1. The tenders do not launch from the Marina, so tendering is not an issue. I have no idea where that came from...and it wasn't the captain or crew.

We were unable to tender due to the fact that the tenders could not be accessed/removed from/through the Marina door. Many of us wondered why they didn't use one of the lifeboats instead.

2. There was no "structural damage".

You are correct, there was no structural damage.

3. There was no need to lash the marina door to ship because there was a fear it was going to fall off.

The door was not going to "fall off" but because it was not shut completely, there was possibility of taking on water through Marina door because of high seas and why we did not sail from Belle Ille that night.

4. MY information this morning was the the repair was already completed. Also, I am not sure how 9PM is a drop dead time for departure and then talk is of departing after midnight. Is the information from an email of yesterday??

The updates are appreciated, and I am not wanting to "shoot the messenger", but I am trying to make sure there is accurate information.

We were informed at lunch time that the latest sailing would be at 9:30pm since the lock close at 10pm. According to this evening's announcement at approx, 7pm by Capt. G-A, the repairs are essentially done however they will be welding the Marina door shut and we might be sailing about Midnight. After talking to tour and cruise sales manager, the thought was that somehow the locks would remain open in order for us to sail. Of course, this all depends on the tides as well.

Will try to keep you all posted as we hear news. As it is we will be heading toward our next to last port, Rouen, France tomorrow.

Correct, they are veeeery slow. And sometimes noisy.

This is why The Company looks into hire a local tender sometimes, Which Im sure many of You have already experienced. This will happen if the ship's own tenders are out of action, or a local rule demands local tenders (like in the Amazon, Capri, Santorini, etc).

The Lifeboats are like corks in the water. 100% safe of course, but hard to manouver in wind and currents. So they will be last resort.

rgds

Sailor

xcrew (or others familiar with behind the scenes safety),

What would the ship's plan be for evacuation of those still aboard if there were a problem while one or more lifeboats were being used as tenders?

I'm sure that's never happened (and I'm not an alarmist;) ), but I am curious about the procedure.

johnny

My error. "The tenders do not need to launch from the Marina"; thinking of the lifeboat option. I wrote too fast and was not clear enough. Sorry.

See, it is not that difficult to admit one's error. And, I might add, there needn't be offense or a string of posts trying to defend oneself or the error.

Marja,

We are all very happy the beautiful white Pride Castle is "fit and well" today! Sailing right along and will be on schedule for London,

May 26th. As I was told the Pride will be totally "up lifted" in Dry Dock~~~Yipppeee Our Older Sister needs a few repairs and perhaps a 'lit "face lifting!": (I know I could sure use one)

As to your post, "it was NOT offensive in the least."~~~ I think of attitude and a sense of humor as KING ;) These days, we all need to keep our humor very close to us~~~

Weather is West Texas~~COLD and rainy! We've had 5 "s of rain at the ranch. Most unusal for May in West Texas,

Hope all is well with you and Rene~~

I send Hug's across the Pond.:)

Should a lifeboat be used as a tender which has never happened for a long time, there is more than enough space for life saving duties in the remaining crafts that are available. Each lifeboat takes 90 persons and there are also 9 liferafts which can accomodate 50 persons each. Hope this helps.:)

xcrew (or others familiar with behind the scenes safety),

What would the ship's plan be for evacuation of those still aboard if there were a problem while one or more lifeboats were being used as tenders?

I'm sure that's never happened (and I'm not an alarmist;) ), but I am curious about the procedure.

johnny

Last night at the Farewell Cocktail party, Capt. G-A informed us that the reason lifeboats could not be used was that (1) they are awfully hard to get in and out of; and (2) if something should happen the lifeboats need to remain on the ship. This, of course, would make for more paperwork and as he said he has enough paperwork from what has happened already :)

The Marina door is welded shut with the tenders inside. The ship will use local port tender services when able and possibly dock at a nearby port that has a pier/dock in case local tender services cannot be used.

We are traveling this morning up to Rouen and will arrive about mid-day. The currents were not with us yesterday thus making our arrival late. We will be staying in Rouen until Friday morning and then begin our cruise across the English Channel.

Hope this brings you all up to speed.

Lisa :)

I caught a few shots of Pride yesterday as she was passing. She went by at about 7.10pm, which meant she left a little before seven from Tower Bridge Upper berth. Here's the link to the photos (on a miserable London evening I'm afraid):

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/559198892tZtlzi

Happy and uneventful sailing to all onboard.

Phil

ERIC!:eek: Do you know, I was thinking about you the other day when I was checking through the many email addresses I have on file and had it in mind to drop you a line. No, honest.

I hope that all is well with you. Pride certainly looked a great sight as she cruised down the Thames. I don't like not being on ANY cruise ship I see if I'm not cruising. Maybe Seabourn one day.:cool:

Take it easy.

Phil

Should a lifeboat be used as a tender which has never happened for a long time, there is more than enough space for life saving duties in the remaining crafts that are available. Each lifeboat takes 90 persons and there are also 9 liferafts which can accomodate 50 persons each. Hope this helps.:)

This is correct (almost).

It is an International requirement that all cruise ships should have an overcapacity in regards to survival crafts.

This is in case the ship is listing to one side, and launching could be a problem from from on of the ship's sides.

The Seabourn ships carry 4 x 90 (life boats) and 9 x 25 (rafts).

If a lifeboat is unavailable, it normally means that less people is onboard as well.

rgds

Sailor

Archived