Guide To Florida Car Rental (Transfer To Port)

Acrossenger

I used the code C031529 for Avis for 8/2008 and it took! Just wondering if anyone can use this code, or will I need some sort of ID? I also used a different code and the price of a premium car at MCO was $29.00- when I went back to the list, it was for Avis emp. disc. and I'm sure you need to have an ID with that one or do you?

Ok, I am about ready to make a reservation for car rental at FLL for 2 days. I have done research regarding the companies and shuttles. I have read (skimmed most) messages and the codes seem good, but..... can we hear from some folks who have actually picked up a car using one of these codes. Is there ever any ID requested for the codes? I don't want to look foolish if I have no connection to a particular code (company or whatever) I figues I might then have to pay bigger bucks just to get a car.

Just returned from MIA, used alamo just as a side note, Alamo charges an understay fee of $15. This means if you bring the rental back early they charge you $15 extra. When I got off the ship I went to the line, after going to the line the employee told me go to the kiosk which I found kind of rude and took longer then it would have taken for a human to do it.

Just make sure you don't return your vehicle to early at Alamo, and be ready to use a computer kiosk at MIA alamo.

We've had exceptional service from the Thrifty off airport location in Ft Lauderdale at 2400 Miami Road (right at the entrance to Port Everglades). (877) 283-0898.

A few trips back my wife left her jewelry bag in the car and we didn't discover it until we were onboard unpacking. I don't even want to imagine what that trip would have been like with her w/o her jewelry. Called Thrifty and the cleaners had found it and it was waiting for us at the counter.

Last trip we used the new rental car garage deal where all the agencies have their offices now at the airport. Surly service and they didn't have the minivan we had reserved. They offered a full size van or one of the new Jeep Commanders, neither of which worked all that well for my wife who is 5ft2. We took the full size van, drove immediately to the Miami Road location, and in 10 min they had us in a minivan and had moved all of our luggage for us from the full size to the mini.

They will shuttle you to area hotels and back and forth to the ships and just in general will go out of their way to see that you have a positive experience. I can't say enough good things about them.

After this last experience in the new garage with all the agencies, we will simply reserve our car thru the Miami Road location and catch a quick cab from the airport to them as we know we will be taken care of properly.

One last item that no one has mentioned, is that it's a good idea to sign up as a member of the frequent renter club of any rental company that you think you might be using on a regular basis. It generally doesn't cost anything and at least with Thrifty, they have a separate line for those customers. Typically only 2 or 3 of you in that line while there are 10 or more in the regular line.

Im agree with fun@C. I just checked AVIS for 3/2008 using the C031529 for a minivan and it took. What a fab rate!!! SOO husband says there must be a catch. When we show what ID are they going to ask for that WE dont have? Price just seems to good to be true.

Our group of 6 is flying into FLL on a Saturday and will rent a van, spend the night someplace between Fll and the port of Miami (any suggestions for a group of 6 that will not cost a small fortune?) Sunday morning drive to port for NCL cruise and drop of group while dh and son returns rental van to M6I. They will then take cab back to port and catch up with us.

After cruise returning to Port on a sunday: dh and son will take cab to M6I to pick up rental van( would a 9:00 a.m pick up be ok for pick up) return to port and pick up rest of group. Drive to FLL and return van. Have a 12:50 p.m flight out of FLL.

total will run us around $200 for our group of 6

I figure with our own van rental we wont have near the problems of shuttle waiting. :)

Does this sound ok or should be just spend the extra and do the ride share shuttle and spend about $250 for our group of 6. Down side to shuttle is that they require you to pre pay and dh says NO way.

Im agree with fun@C. I just checked AVIS for 3/2008 using the C031529 for a minivan and it took. What a fab rate!!! SOO husband says there must be a catch. When we show what ID are they going to ask for that WE dont have? Price just seems to good to be true.

. QUOTE]

That is why I asked the question a few posts back regarding what happened if anything when people actually got their car. Did anyone have to show some sort of connection to the code? So many people say wow, good deal upon reserving, but I can't find any comments from after the fact. Anyone??

. QUOTE]

That is why I asked the question a few posts back regarding what happened if anything when people actually got their car. Did anyone have to show some sort of connection to the code? So many people say wow, good deal upon reserving, but I can't find any comments from after the fact. Anyone??

I have used the AVIS discount codes in the past on rentals in both FLL and MCO... have NEVER beed asked to supply any ID other than my drivers license and CC for the rental.

Joe

Thanks for the info Joe:)

To take it a step further, in MCO we used the same code on three different cars with three different drivers (total of 12 people). Our original plan was to get two vans, BUT, be found that we were getting a better deal on three cars than two vans. Nobody at Avis said a word when we picked them up. Something else to consider if you have a group! :) Joe

I haven't seen this particular question asked or answered. ( Please excuse my lack of traveling savvy):o

We are flying in Friday Oct. 19th. Staying at the Renaissance Hotel. Friday and Saturday night. We want to use Friday as a day to explore Ft. Lauderdale and then rent a car Saturday to maybe see Mami.

We also want to use the car Sunday to take our luggage to the port. I notice that most rates assume you are renting at the airport.

My question is this. Would we have take a cab back to the airport Saturday to pick up the car? Then return the car to the airport and take a cab back Sunday ?:confused:

My question is this. Would we have take a cab back to the airport Saturday to pick up the car? Then return the car to the airport and take a cab back Sunday ?:confused:

There's a Budget Car Rental office next to the Rennaissance Hotel in the Quay Shopping Center, 1515 SE 17Th Street Causeway, Ft Lauderdale . You can pick your car up there and return it there the next day, they would shuttle you to the cruise terminal after you drop off your car.

The reason we are going with a van is because we have 6 people. We have not been able to find a shuttle service at a good rate. So we are going with the van from Avis.

1st rental: we will pick up late on a sat night at the FLL airport and then return it to Avis M6I on Sunday morning. with code and all fees $88.11

2nd rental: pick up at M6I on sunday morning after cruise and return to FLL airport. with code and all fees $66.95

With figure it will cost us in total about $15 to top off the tank.

If anyone has any other idea that might be a better deal for a group of 6 please DO tell.

If anyone has any other idea that might be a better deal for a group of 6 please DO tell.

Looks like the plan you have is a good one. Just for the heck of it, give Sun and Moon Express a call at 754 581 6264 . See if they can do it for less then the $170.06 you've calculated the cost to be.

http://*****/

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this has been asked, so sorry if it has but I didn't see it in this post.

When I looked at renting a car from Alamo their website says they have a Port of Miaimi rental office. Has anyone used this and is it within walking distance of the ships or is there a shuttle?

Seems like I remember using a Port rental site a few years back, and it was very convenient.

Thanks for any help.

Elaine

Alamo's POM rental office is at the Airport. The price is usually slightly different than renting from MIA. (less)

But I read somewhere else recently that Alamo has discontinued their shuttle. Don't know if poster was correct or not. So check.

I just checked the Thrifty Rental car website and it is now showing a drop-off fee both ways from Orlando Airport to Cape Canaveral of $30 each way. I reserved two days ago and am locked in (I suppose) without being charged the drop-off fee.

I just checked the Thrifty Rental car website and it is now showing a drop-off fee both ways from Orlando Airport to Cape Canaveral of $30 each way. I reserved two days ago and am locked in (I suppose) without being charged the drop-off fee.

Interesting. Just for the heck of it I put in a rental from Orlando Airport to Ft Lauderdale Airport and there's no drop off fee. I changed it to Miami and the drop off fee is $99. Very unusual. :confused:

Archived