Guide To Florida Car Rental (Transfer To Port)

Acrossenger

Does anyone know how often Avis, or Hertz shuttle customers to the port on Sunday's?

All of the car rental companies share the same shuttle bus service from the airport to the port and vice a versa. Sitting next to you could be a renter from Thrifty, Dollar, Avis, Hertz etc. There's a couple of buses that continually run the route all day.

Most of the rental agents just print up the rental agreement as it is in the computer. Just so you know the 3700 is a avis employee code. Yes I have used it and I am a Hertz employee. The thing is none of the car rental have a badge or something that shows you are a employee. I jsut say I am a car shuttler. That is what I do at hertz 1 day a week. I have even asked how do you know if someone is really a employee and they always say there is know way to fine out other then call the area you are from. The other code is for Florida state employee. So I can get away with it because I have a Florida DL. But if you want any other code I have AAA or Cosco or Walmart or Sams club a bunch of unknown. With National I have codes that waive the under age of 25 fee. My son uses them all the time. But I can say me and my family and friends have never been asked for any ID. Like I say the just pull up the way it is in the computer. Know watch the stuff fly on what a bad guy I am. Save it for someone else. We have people do it all the time at hertz and we don't even care as long as we get our cars rented

Betcat,

Thanks very much for the codes. I was just reading on another board that a few people were asked for a signed letter from Avis stating that they were in fact Avis employees, and without them they were denied. Have you heard of this happening at MCO? That code gives such a great deal!!

Hi,

I am trying to do this:

Fly in/out of Fort Lauderdale and cruise out of Miami

Avis FLL (in terminal) -M6I (5 minutes / $7 cab ride to port)

Avis M6I-FLL

And I am getting a message that the M6I location is closed on Sunday after 1pm. We will be going straight from the airport to the port of Miami. (I know, I know... better to fly in the day before, but the price difference was way too much for a family of 4) Anyway, can I just drop the car off at this location or do they have to be open? Is there another location that would work?

Also, we are with a group of 15, any advice on rental cars for large parties?

Any advice is great,

Courtney

So I can Rent a car from FLL and drive to Miami and return it the next day to the Miami Airport and then get a shuttle to the port from there ??? If so this is way cheaper than a taxi or shuttle as there is 4 of us....Is this true ????

This information pertains to Avis only. I have no knowledge of any other car rental companies policies.

The corporate AWD-Avis Worldwide Discount number, was "blacklisted" because that number was issued to a specific corporation for its use ONLY, based upon a signed legal agreement between that company and Avis. Avis counter personnel should ask anyone using a corporate discount number for their employee identification. I do know this is not always done. But, if you are asked for the ID and cannot produce it you will be charged "rack rate".

Also if you are involved in an accident and you are fraudulently using a companies discount number, which is printed on your contract you have signed, there will be major insurance issues.

Association discounts, ie--AARP, USAA, AAA ect..or any other "partners" who have a contract with Avis are also subject to your membership ID to be shown at the counter. Coupons fall into this same category, you may be asked for the actual coupon or proof of your right to usage.

Avis employee rates are for Avis employees.

Hope this clears up any confusion. I sincerely hope anyone who "collects" Avis discount numbers only encourages people they do not like to use them.

So I can Rent a car from FLL and drive to Miami and return it the next day to the Miami Airport and then get a shuttle to the port from there ??? If so this is way cheaper than a taxi or shuttle as there is 4 of us....Is this true ????

I have done this twice with Thrifty in both directions, and had no problem. I signed up for Thrifty's blue chip program, it made picking up the car much faster as there is a special line.

Good Luck.

betcat......I am trying to rent a car at FLL and return it to the Hertz POM location and they keep telling me I can't return a car to this location and to select another location. I am looking to return the car on a Friday, would that be the issue? Thanks...

First is friends of Hertz employees 1736927. Then there is a hertz family code that is 1652960 it is a better one. Then a hertz retiree code 0208890. And no again to having a problem. Just to make sure I always have a reservation in 2 names. Like J doe and John Doe. So I have a back up. You don't need a credit card hold for a car and I never give any more information then just the name. I also make a reservation at another car company. Why you might ask. Because(and this happen every other day at our location) we don't have enought cars to cover our reservation and tell people sorry but not everyone return there cars today and we don't have a car for you. BULL! We just rented everything out. The only one we saved was for our gold card holder. It use to be they would hold cars for everyone, but now they tell us to get everything off the lot. Its all about have the numbers to show we have rented everything. The manager get a big bonus then. So because I have seen this with all car rental company cover your butt and make another reservation smoewhere else. One other BIG, BIG THING!!!!!!!!!! If you are renting at ORLANDO when you come off the freeway and need to fill up your car. There is only 1 gas station off the ramp. It sit across from Thrifty and Hertz. They also have a Wendys there. DO NOT FILL UP THERE. He keeps his price per gallon up about 1.00 to 1.25 HIGHER the down the road. Keep driving about 1/2 mile to 3/4 of a mile past him. There are 2 more stations on each side of the road. Then make a u-turn and return to the airport. He has been charging and makeing bir profits on gas for a few years now. When I was last in Orlando (2 month ago) his price was 4.29 for regular and down the street I got it for 3.09.

Some of Hertz car rental location are private owned. The company won't one way a car there because once it gets there they won't rent it back out. So the car sit there and can't make Hertz any money. I don't know if this is the case But I would bet it is. Up here in our area Gulfport/Bloxie airport location is a private. If they sent a oneway to our location Mobile airport, It might sit there for 3 or 4 weeks until they come get it or get it trucked back to there location.

betcat......I am trying to rent a car at FLL and return it to the Hertz POM location and they keep telling me I can't return a car to this location and to select another location. I am looking to return the car on a Friday, would that be the issue? Thanks...

It may also be that the port location is only a counter (they don't actually have cars there) and they shuttle you to a location somewhere near the port to get cars. In turn, that's where you would need to return any car if you were doing a one-way rental. I don't know POM myself, but I found this to be the case with Tampa. The full-service Hertz for Tampa port is at a hotel down the street. Same with Dollar - they serve the port of Tampa but the physical location is down the street. So when you pick the return location, you have to pick the one that they shuttle to/from, not actually the port location (which again may just be a service counter).

Some of Hertz car rental location are private owned. The company won't one way a car there because once it gets there they won't rent it back out. So the car sit there and can't make Hertz any money. I don't know if this is the case But I would bet it is. Up here in our area Gulfport/Bloxie airport location is a private. If they sent a oneway to our location Mobile airport, It might sit there for 3 or 4 weeks until they come get it or get it trucked back to there location.

My question is, if the Hertz rental location is privately owned how can I get the best deal if I can't book it on line? We are staying at the Yankee Clipper and the concierge (sp)handles the car rentals. Is there a way of making a reservation on line for pick up at these private locations?

Curlyd the private location most of the times won't give you a deal. Point in case. Most location I can get a full size car for 12,00$ dollars a day. Last month I was going to fly into Coos bay Or. The Hertz Location at the airport was going to rent me a small car for 68.00$ dollars a day. I called them up and they informed me they were a private location and do not give employee discount. So I flew into Eugene, Or. and got a Hummer for 48.00$ dollars a day. 20.00$ dollars a day cheaper then the Ford Focus I would of got at Coos Bay! Yes I had a extra 100 miles to drive but at Eugene the full size would have been 12.00$ dollars. Over the 3 day rental that was a big price saving.

And Metfan there is no counter at the Port of Miami. It is a HLE location 3/4 of a mile at a Hotel and yes they do have cars there. Any size you make a reservation for. They do pick you up and drop you off at the port. With the parking rate the port charges no rental car company can afford to have a rental place at the port.

Curlyd the private location most of the times won't give you a deal. Point in case. Most location I can get a full size car for 12,00$ dollars a day. Last month I was going to fly into Coos bay Or. The Hertz Location at the airport was going to rent me a small car for 68.00$ dollars a day. I called them up and they informed me they were a private location and do not give employee discount. So I flew into Eugene, Or. and got a Hummer for 48.00$ dollars a day. 20.00$ dollars a day cheaper then the Ford Focus I would of got at Coos Bay! Yes I had a extra 100 miles to drive but at Eugene the full size would have been 12.00$ dollars. Over the 3 day rental that was a big price saving.

Betcat, Thanks for the info. I think we might just decide to use the Trolley, Water Taxi and regular Taxi's to get around. I could get a deal at the airport but then I would be paying for parking at the hotel anyway and would still have to get the car back to the airport. Much too much work for me to do while on vacation.

I just used discount code A153700 to reserve a mini van from Avis at FLL for after our cruise. This was a code noted in a post several pages back. It was only $34 when the cheapest I could find with any other code was well over $100. We are dropping off at PBI, if that makes any difference.

Can someone let me know why this code gets such a great discount. Am I going to have any hassle at the rental counter using this code. Anything else I should know. I would rather find out now if there is going to be problems and make other arrangements than find out when we get off the ship.

Thanks

As I posted above these codes are not available for use if you are not intitled.

AWD #A153700 is the Avis employee discount number. You will most likely be asked for your Avis employee badge and the required letter from your supervisor stating you are in good standing. I know sometimes people get away with using these codes but I would not take the chance.

I work for Hertz and know other employee at Avis and National. We all work in the same area. First none of us have Employee Badges. Next(and I have asked) We don't get a letter from our boss saying that we are in good standing. The counter people ask you for your reservation number or Last name. Then they pull up your reservation, and get your DL and credit card. Most of them don't have all the codes in there head. And the computer just has the code in it. They just type up your rental and just try to get you to buy one of the extras. They can make extra money buy getting you to buy the LDW, or fuel option, or a upgrade. They(if they even know) could care less if you work there. Now once in a while you will get someone that will, but in 3 years of renting as a employee it has only happen once. And I rent 3 or 4 times a month. But I always have a backup rental somewhere else. You don't have to give them a Credit Card number for a reservation. So just have a backup rental somewhere else. My main reason to have a backup reservation is that just because you have a reservation does not mean we will have a car for you. There are many of days we have 210 reservation and only 165 cars being returned that day. So unless we get a few extra back 45 people will not be getting a car. IT HAPPEN JUST LIKE OVER BOOKING IN THE AIRLINES!!! So cover your rear and always have a backup plan, or just get mad at the counter.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a reservation picking up at PC with Avis using the A153700 code and was concerned about this as well. So on advice from Shirley Nelson Brown, I called the local agency and spoke w/ the manager (a lovely woman, BTW). She checked her computer, pulled up my ressie and I gave her my code. Her response...yes, you're fine, the computer took it without any trouble, you'll be fine. Never asked if I was an employee, told me to make sure I had my ID, nothing. Just that the computer accepted it.

I happen to have a back up w/ Thrifty but was hoping to avoid the drop fee now in place. I have one w/ Thrifty out of MCO but don't have any other options, as I need a minivan and either no one has them available or the prices are very high. So I'll suffer the add'l cost and take Thrifty (even with the drop fee, it's still relatively reasonable) and we'll do Avis back. If there is a problem, I'll walk over to Thrifty and take theirs.

If anyone uses the code in the next couple of weeks, can you report back?

Archived