If you have 1 day in Bermuda you must do ......!

ALSEAU

Has anyone ever done the Segway Tour in Bermuda? If you have or know someone who did how did you/they like it? Is the tour and expense of $78 worth it?

Hi Al,

This is a link to a thread in the Bermuda/Ports of Call Forum: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=276554&highlight=segway

If you do a "Search this Forum" in the Bermuda Forum, using the word "Segway", a few more threads show up.

I have been to Bermuda 4 times and always love to spend some time at the Swizzle Inn to have some rum swizzle. The last time we were there was in 2005.

Since then, I heard that the Swizzle Inn has opened a 2nd location at 87 South Road in Warwick. The original one is on Blue Hole Hill in Bailey's Bay near the airport. I found the address for the 2nd one on their website http://www.swizzleinm.com The new location is closer to Hamilton

We are taking a cruise to Bermuda on the Journey in Oct and plan to visit the old and the new locations.

if there's 4 of you take a cab from St. George (about $10-15 last time we did it) -- its a fun place. Spend some time at the bar instead of just getting a table -- mid-afternoon is fine, I don't think it matters. (The Swizzle on the south shore is between Horseshoe and Warwick.) Horseshoe is great but with all the bigger ships in it gets very crowded, although in Sept it might not be that bad. Walk through the coves where there are lots of smaller beaches. Warwick Long Bay is absolutely beautiful and its just down the road. Heard they were putting facilities in but don't know if that's done yet or if it will strip it of its charm. The one actual excursion I actually wanted to do last year, and didn't get to, was the bike ride to the lighthouse and then 9 beaches. Dockyard/wharf will be crowded with the the mega ships docked over there. If you do the botanical gardens, John Smith's Bay is nearby -- mostly uncrowded and used by regulars. Depending on the number of people you have and how much traveling you actually plan on doing, consider the taxis as the buses do get crowded (you can get the number for cab co. and call them to pick you up if you're at an out of the way place). Have a great time!

i have only cruised to bermuda in june and never experienced any wind or bad weather. we found the dont stop the party carnival excursion to be very very good!! of course if the weather doesn't cooperate it can ruin a lot of excursions. i just think this is one excursion not to be missed.

Thanks pattycakes and corona5657,

It seems like a lot of people like the Swizzle Inn. Does that mean the drinks are cheap or just strong? Thanks for the tip about cabs most people have recommended the bus.

The Party Carnival excursion is about the only ship sponsor event that people have suggested. It seems they have really enjoyed it.

Do get a 3 day bus/ferry pass. We used ours a lot - loved the ferry rides, buses 10 and 11 from St George go to Hamilton and beyond. Bus #7 goes along the South Road returning from Dockyards...we took ferry from Hamilton to Dockyards then returned to ship by bus. This route lets you view many beaches, local areas and chat with locals. Last day took bus #7 from bus station in Hamilton (take bus near ship to bus station - just ask bus driver if he goes there - any bus) and got off at Horseshoe Bay. Go early and the beach is almost deserted. You can rent chairs or use beach towels. Walk around coves on right side of beach facing ocean or walk to opposite end of the beach for real privacy...few people go down that far even when the beach gets crowded. Got much more than our money's worth using the bus pass....

Okay I'm going out on a limb and say my absolute most favorite thing to do in Bermuda is rent a moped and just drive along the coastline stopping frequently to see all the magnificent views.... I know the cruise ships discourage you from renting mopeds and I'm not normally an adventurous person but this August will be my 6th cruise to Bermuda and we always rent them.

My DH was stationed on Bermuda while in the Navy in the late 70s and had a moped then, when we started cruising there, we just got them and it's always been fine. I don't enjoy driving them in the 'city' but along the countryside it's so beautiful and you don't get the chance to stop whenever you want in the busses, cabs or ferries.

Our favorite beach is Horseshoe Bay, mostly because of the facilities. We've gone to a few other beaches and seen better snorkeling (can't remember the names)

We've also done all the other things lilsted here, helmet dives, caves, climbed the lighthouse, swizzle inn, perfumery, gardens, it's all great. Bermuda is beautiful!!!

When we dock at St. George what do we need to take advantage of? Exactly what does that port give us an opportunity to do besides taking a bus to go somewhere else on the island?

When we dock at St. George what do we need to take advantage of? Exactly what does that port give us an opportunity to do besides taking a bus to go somewhere else on the island?

If you enjoy walking, it's a great place to explore on foot.

A walk to Fort St. Catherine and Tobacco Bay (good snorkelling) are worthwhile, as well as a self guided walking tour:

Tour:http://www.frommers.com/destinations/bermuda/0091020034.html

Map: http://www.frommers.com/images/destinations/maps/jpg-2006/91_walkingtour2:historicst.georgetown.jpg

We also enjoyed taking the bus to St. David's Lighthouse....it's an interesting bus ride there and back, the views from the lighthouse are spectacular, and the lighthouse itself is interesting to see: http://www.cyberlights.com/lh/bermuda/stdavids.htm

Take a walk around the town - visitors center in Cafe Latte has free maps. Ask for directions to walk to the fort near the entrance to the Cut (it's about a mile through a nice (hilly) residential area). Very quiet neighborhood...good picture taking spot. Continue on down the road about 1/4 mile to Alexandra Battery Park and pick up sea glass from the beach, wall and cave (best if it's low tide). Also Tabacco Bay has good snorkeling (we didn't get there - it's on our list for the next trip :). We really enjoyed St. George more than Hamilton. Also can take a bus to Hamilton (#10 or #11) get off at the ferry dock and take ferry that goes to Dockyards then back to St. George. We did this just to look around - did not get off at Dockyards and went back another day.

Take bus to right of ship in front of pink building to bus station - just ask the driver if he is going there. Then transfer to Bus #7 and ask driver to let you off at Horseshoe Bay. Walk down path to beach. Return bus is directly across the street from where you got off going. You can pay $1 for a shuttle to take you back up to the bus stop or walk up the hill. A taxi from the beach to the ship was $17.

Thanks Sheila,

You have been a wealth of information. I plan on buying a three day bus/ferry pass. I thought since we are in port St. George for one day we would just explore that area by foot on Monday. Than Tuesday in Hamilton we would get our passes and travel the island and it's beaches saving some of the walking around in Hamilton for Thursday. A lot of people have provided some good input on this board. Thanks again!

If the waters are to rough to dock at St. George does that cause any problem other than being docked in Hamilton an extra day? Does it have an impact of any significance of where we will dock in Hamilton? Finally is it ever to rough to dock in Hamilton? If so does anyone know what plan B would be?:eek:

The reason I ask is that a year ago we sailed the Zenith's reposition cruise and we were supposed to spend two days in Bermuda. When we got there the Captain announced that there were 30 miles an hour winds and the port authorities would not let us dock. With the next days weather being predicted pretty much the same he turned the ship south to our next port-of-call.:confused:

If the waters are to rough to dock at St. George does that cause any problem other than being docked in Hamilton an extra day? Does it have an impact of any significance of where we will dock in Hamilton? Finally is it ever to rough to dock in Hamilton? If so does anyone know what plan B would be?:eek:

The answer to your first two questions is "yes". I don't know the answer to the third question. For details on what can happen, see my thread titled Empress of the Seas misses St. George's. All in all, our solution was better than leaving a day early, but it had its problems.

Theron

On Tuesday night there is a street fair at St. George from 6:30PM to 9:30PM. Since we are docked in Hamilton on Tuesday is it worth a trip from Hamilton to St. George to see it? If so how late does the last bus and/or ferry leave St. George to go back to Hamilton?

On Tuesday night there is a street fair at St. George from 6:30PM to 9:30PM. Since we are docked in Hamilton on Tuesday is it worth a trip from Hamilton to St. George to see it? If so how late does the last bus and/or ferry leave St. George to go back to Hamilton?

No, it is not worth it. There will be a street fair in Hamilton on Wednesday night which is much the same but is bigger than the one in St. George.

On Tues. night we have a choice of the ferry to Dockyard for the festival or the bus to St. Georges. We thought it would be more fun to do the ferry in the evening, and the Dockyard festival rather than riding the bus. Any opinions?:confused:

We will then move on the Empress to St Georges on Wed. morning, so if we want to see the fun in Hamilton for Festival, we would have to do the bus route.

The last 2 times Dh and I were in Bermuda, we had the reversed route, ( st. G 1st, then H. 2nd)/ This itinary isn't as convenient. But we will love being in Bermuda as long as we have decent weather!

Archived