Need help. Spirit sailing June 17th

sam0828

We booked our AC cabin back in March. We paid almost $5K for (myself, husband and 7 year old daughter). I just checked the prices again and it seems that the price for this cabin has dropped by over $1800. 2 questions. First, why would this happen? Second, am I able to cancel and re-book? Is there anything I can do? That is a huge amount of money.

Thanks in advance

Not a lot you can do. First, it happens because if the ship still has available cabins, the cruise line will discount them this close to sailing in order to fill the ship. Second, you cannot cancel and rebook because you're past final payment (i.e., you're in the penalty period). The best you can do is contact your TA (or NCL if you booked directly) and plead your case, asking for an onboard credit if possible.

By booking early at the higher price, you guaranteed yourself the category (and perhaps the specific cabin) as well as the sailing that you wanted. Sometimes, the higher price is the premium you pay for that guarantee. If you had waited for a lower price, the category and sailing could just as easily have sold out.

Not a lot you can do. First, it happens because if the ship still has available cabins, the cruise line will discount them this close to sailing in order to fill the ship. Second, you cannot cancel and rebook because you're past final payment (i.e., you're in the penalty period). The best you can do is contact your TA (or NCL if you booked directly) and plead your case, asking for an onboard credit if possible.

By booking early at the higher price, you guaranteed yourself the category (and perhaps the specific cabin) as well as the sailing that you wanted. Sometimes, the higher price is the premium you pay for that guarantee. If you had waited for a lower price, the category and sailing could just as easily have sold out.

So before final payment you can cancel without penalty? I have a deposit on a cruise but now I'm thinking about changing categories. I booked an AE and have a quote to move up to an AD (Sun) for only $100 more per person. We loved the AD last time so I think it's worth the extra money. I may cancel and rebook. :)

So before final payment you can cancel without penalty?

Yes, as far as the cruise line is concerned. However, some TAs impose a cancellation fee, so you need to inquire about that.

Yes, as far as the cruise line is concerned. However, some TAs impose a cancellation fee, so you need to inquire about that.

Thanks for the reply. I booked directly with NCL so I guess I'm okay there. I just looked and the OBC is $70 more with the AD so it's really only $330 more to move up to the Penthouse. I think my decision is probably made. :)

sam0828~ Why not try calling NCL and seeing if they will issue some onboard credits or better yet, move you up to an AB suite~ Doesn't hurt to try! By the way, we have a roll call for the 6/17 sailing, and you are welcome to join us at our Meet & Greet! Please check out the Pearl's roll call for 6/17...I think we have a great group! ~Debbi

Sorry, I went back and read your post...thought you were on the Pearl...The Spirit is an awesome ship though (we have sailed her twice)...and you should still call NCL to see if an upgrade is possible! ;)

The people who book at the last minute sometimes get great deals, but sometimes they also get nothing or only lousy cabins to choose from.

It's great for people who have open schedules, and can continually check out what's available week after week, then jump in on the good ones.

It's great for people who have open schedules, and can continually check out what's available week after week, then jump in on the good ones.

That's the way I want to cruise when I retire! Does my generation ever get to retire? :confused:;):)

I am booked on the Spirit for June 23. We booked through Delta.com within the 45 day cancellation period. The prices have dropped so I contacted Delta to inquire about a reimbursement for the difference. Only $70 in total so while not a huge sum of money still worth a shot. We booked cat. H guarantee. We were assigned to HH. NCL would not refund given it was 19 days until sailing. However, the customer service person was able to convince NCL to give us an additional upgrade. We are now in CC. Basically we went from deck 4 to deck 8.

It is worth it to inquire, the worst they can do is say no.

Archived