Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dms_cruisers04

Need help with Calica excursions for newbies

Part of our group this time are newbies and so they want to book their excursions through Carnival. They've narrowed it down to this four:

Biking to Caverns and Cenote Snorkel

Snorkel at Sea Turtle Sanctuary and Yal Ku Lagoon

Muyil Ruins and Jungle Exploration

Mayan Ruins of Tulum

Has anyone actually done any of these excursions through Carnival? Or has anyone been to any of these locations with private tour operators? They are still trying to decide what to do.

I have a little info on Tulum for them, but would like to know how Carnival's Tulum excursion is.

We were in Calica in May and I would recommend Xcaret. Wonderful park, and an amazing underground river to snorkel. Beautiful beaches, just an amazing place.

I was at Tulum in the 80s & it was a beautiful place. I can't comment on Carnival's tour though, sorry.

We had table-mates who went to Tulum through Carnival and really enjoyed it. (This wasn't from Calica, though.) We almost always take Carnival excursions. We realize it's more expensive but just prefer to do it that way.

(We took the Cancun City and Shoping Tour from Calica. Hmm...seems like we heard the most positive remarks about Xcaret, Tulum, and the Caverns & Underground Snorkel.)

My friend did the Mayan Ruins of Tulum thru Carnival last Tuesday while I was fishing. He said it was great and included a visit to a Flea market area. Food was available at Mr. Frosty or Freezy and he loved the fajitas. If he was to do it over he would have taken the tram from the parking area.

We did Tulum on a Carnival excursion from Cozumel in '05, and loved every minute of it. We'll be in Calica on Tuesday, and will be doing Tulum on our own with a rental car this time. I highly recommend getting there, however you choose to do it. It's truly breathtaking. :)

I just returned home from my cruise today. We didn't do any of the excursions you named, but did go to Xel Ha on our own. It was fantastic. We snorkeled in the aquarium. That's what we called it anyway. The water is so neat. The fresh water and salt water mixes and creates strange ripples in places and there are so many fish. You can go down the river and jump off cliffs. The park is very clean, and beautiful. We rented a car in advance from executive car rental and it was waiting on us in Calica when we got off the ship. It cost $57 total and held 5 people. You can get a van if needed. The park is $39 PP or all inclusive for $59. I think this place is great for kids and adults alike. Hope this helps. If you need any info, please feel free to contact me. sandrafaymarks@aol.com:)

Yal-Ku is a pretty unique snorkeling spot. I'm hoping to visit it independently during my October cruise stop in Calica.

Just print out the message boards on Edventures and have them read it. They are the best and you do not have to worry about it being a non-carnival excursion. They are very trust worthy! You will have the time of your life with them! Also sooo cheap! $60 pp for us including transportation. They were waiting for us right as we got off the ship and had us back in plenty of time.

Another vote for EDventures. One of the best all-around full day tours in the Caribbean we've ever experienced. Great people...we love Hector!