Yokohama port to train terminal for Tokyo

amusea

• 2 weeks later...
Hi. I am a Yokohama native, so I am happy to help you. Probably the easiest and most economical way is to walk from the pier to the "Nihon Odori" Station of the Minato Mirai Line, which is about a seven-minute walk from the pier. The path to the station is very clearly marked, but if you ever get lost, just grab someone on the street, and say slowly, "Where? Train? Nihon Odori Station?"

When you are on a Minato Mirai Line train, you have several options to go to Tokyo. You can stay on it (a train for Shibuya) until the end of the line, and you will be in one of the busiest and hippest areas of Tokyo (about 40 minutes' ride). Or you can transfer at Yokohama Station, which is the fourth stop from Nihon Odori, onto a JR Tokaido Line that takes you to Tokyo Station (about 25 minutes). You will be one short stop away from Yurakucho, which gets you into Ginza.

The bullet train is actually a tougher option. The Shin-Yokohama Station where the bullet trains pass through is about 25 minutes away from Nihon Odori of Minato Mirai Line, and you would have to make two transfers to get there. In addition, the segment between Shin-Yokohama and Tokyo is actually the slowest-running part of that bullet train line. In other words, you would not experience what the bullet train is most famous for (speed) by taking it from Shin-Yokohama to Tokyo.

If you have a particular part of Tokyo that you would like to visit, please let me know. I will give you the exact routing accordingly.

Thank you. I am travelling to the Hotel Century Tower Shibuya. Can you help?

• 4 months later...
Hi. I am a Yokohama native, so I am happy to help you. Probably the easiest and most economical way is to walk from the pier to the "Nihon Odori" Station of the Minato Mirai Line, which is about a seven-minute walk from the pier. The path to the station is very clearly marked, but if you ever get lost, just grab someone on the street, and say slowly, "Where? Train? Nihon Odori Station?"

When you are on a Minato Mirai Line train, you have several options to go to Tokyo. You can stay on it (a train for Shibuya) until the end of the line, and you will be in one of the busiest and hippest areas of Tokyo (about 40 minutes' ride). Or you can transfer at Yokohama Station, which is the fourth stop from Nihon Odori, onto a JR Tokaido Line that takes you to Tokyo Station (about 25 minutes). You will be one short stop away from Yurakucho, which gets you into Ginza.

The bullet train is actually a tougher option. The Shin-Yokohama Station where the bullet trains pass through is about 25 minutes away from Nihon Odori of Minato Mirai Line, and you would have to make two transfers to get there. In addition, the segment between Shin-Yokohama and Tokyo is actually the slowest-running part of that bullet train line. In other words, you would not experience what the bullet train is most famous for (speed) by taking it from Shin-Yokohama to Tokyo.

If you have a particular part of Tokyo that you would like to visit, please let me know. I will give you the exact routing accordingly.

We are disembarking in Yokohama and headed to an airbnb in Shinjuku - nishiwaseda - We will have all our luggage with us. What is it like taking luggage onto the Minato Mirai line? And in Yokohama Station if we transfer to the Tokyu-Toyoko line what is that like with a lot of luggage? Taxis seem quite expensive.

I would probably be inclined to say, "Sumimasen, Nihon Odori eki wa doko desu ka?" (the last two words run together to sound out "deska"), but then I'm trying to learn a bit of Japanese before we get there and use it once we arrive. :)

• 1 month later...

Some of these posts are old so I am repeating an inquiry.

I need to go from Yokohama Port to my Hotel in Shinjuku. My wife and I will be haling lots of luggage.

Given that we are hauling our luggage should we consider the trains from Yokohama Port to Tokyo?

How much is a Taxi and can they carry us and our luggage?

How much is luggage transport and how long will it take to deliver our luggage to our hotel (Keio Plaza)?

Thanks!

No need to worry about the older posts.

The situation is still the same.

1. Take a taxi from the cruise terminal to Yokohama Station (10 minutes; about US$15).

2. Take JR from Yokohama Station to Shinjuku Station (30 minutes; about US$5 per person).

3. Walk to take a taxi to your Shinjuku Hotel.

OR

1. Walk or taxi from the cruise terminal to Nihon-Odori station (3 blocks from the terminal).

2. Take Minato-Mirai line to Shibuya, where the train's name changes (but don't get off). Stay on the train to one of the 2 Shinjuku stations. Get off there and walk / taxi to your hotel. (Travel time 40 minutes, about US$6 per person.

OR

Take a taxi from the cruise terminal directly to your Shinjuku Hotel. Travel time is about one hour; fare is about US$200.

Luggage transport service is about US$10 per bag. The bags will normally be delivered to your hotel by noon the next day.

The luggage transfer desk is located inside the cruise terminal. Some cruise lines have the transfer forms available at the front desk onboard the ship.

Hello, BruceMuzz. The information you've posted here is so helpful. One question I haven't seen is the best to travel via train/subway to Asakusa. Our cruise on the Celebrity Millenium will end in Yokohama on September 24 and my husband and I hope to take a train/subway to our hotel in Asakusa (Gate Hotel Asakusa Kaminarimon) that morning (we will each have one large suitcase). Do you have a suggestion? Thank you so much!

Hello, BruceMuzz. The information you've posted here is so helpful. One question I haven't seen is the best to travel via train/subway to Asakusa. Our cruise on the Celebrity Millenium will end in Yokohama on September 24 and my husband and I hope to take a train/subway to our hotel in Asakusa (Gate Hotel Asakusa Kaminarimon) that morning (we will each have one large suitcase). Do you have a suggestion? Thank you so much!

This one is very easy.

From Osanbashi Cruise Terminal in Yokohama, walk or taxi to Nihon-Odori Station. It is about 3 blocks (downhill) from the cruise terminal. The Minato-Mirai Line, which you want, is the only train in that station. Purchase tickets to Shibuya (about ¥400). You want the train going in the Shibuya direction. Watch the overhead signs and wait for the Express or Semi-Express. The local train to Shibuya takes over one hour; the Express is 29 minutes.

Get off the Train at Shibuya station.

Shibuya is the Western terminus of the Ginza Line. Follow the signs to the Ginza Line, purchase tickets to Asakusa (about ¥360) and board the first train you find.

Stay on that train all the way to the end, which is Asakusa. Shibuya to Asakusa takes about 35 minutes.

The Yokohama cruise terminal is called Osanbashi.

Osanbashi Terminal to Narita Airport:

1. Taxi to any nearby major hotel in Yokohama and take the Narita Airport shuttle bus from there. The hotel concierge will have tickets and schedules.

2. Taxi to Yokohama Station (10 minutes / US20 ) and transfer to Narita Express train ( 2 hrs / US40 per person )

Osanbashi Terminal to Haneda Airport:

1. Taxi to any nearby major hotel in Yokohama and take the Haneda Airport shuttle bus from there. The hotel concierge will have tickets and schedules.

2. Taxi to Yokohama Station, take any JR train from there to Hamamatsucho Station in Tokyo, transfer to Tokyo Monorail, which goes directly to Haneda.

These are the easiest ones. There are many more that are a bit more complex and may require a bit of Japanese language.

I do not remember, but there may be airport shuttle buses available at the cruise terminal.

If you use Apps like Hyperdia or Rome2Rio, you will see many additional routes.

• 1 year later...

We have a question about getting from Osanbashi Pier to Shinjuku.

We've gotten a 7 day JR Rail Pass, and thought we would activate it in Yokohama, and use it to get in to Tokyo, and begin our week in Japan. I've noticed the "options" for getting in to Shinjuku on the train, can someone clarify which of those our JR Rail Pass will work on? :)

THANKS!

And for those who have used the suitcase courier service, did the suitcases get there that day / next day?

Again, thanks!

We have a question about getting from Osanbashi Pier to Shinjuku.

We've gotten a 7 day JR Rail Pass, and thought we would activate it in Yokohama, and use it to get in to Tokyo, and begin our week in Japan. I've noticed the "options" for getting in to Shinjuku on the train, can someone clarify which of those our JR Rail Pass will work on? :)

THANKS!

And for those who have used the suitcase courier service, did the suitcases get there that day / next day?

Again, thanks!

If you want to use the JR Pass to get from Yokohama to Shinjuku, you should take one of the many taxis from Osanbashi Terminal to Yokohama Station. At Yokohama Station you can activate your Pass at the "JR View" Office in the Station.

JR Rail pass will work on nearly any train from Japan Railways. You can google the trains and schedules.

From Yokohama you can choose from:

1. Narita Express from Yokohama to Shinjuku (with luggage storage at each end of the train, and free WIFI), which runs about every 30 minutes.

2. Any of the hundreds of regular JR Trains that go between Yokohama and Shinjuku every day. (without luggage storage and without free WIFI)

3. Shinkansen between Shin-Yokohama (a different station in Yokohama) and Shinjuku Station. These trains do not go as fast on this segment as they do on others; they have nearly zero luggage storage, are very comfortable, sometimes have free WIFI, and run hourly or so.

Takuhaibin (luggage forwarding) is very reliable. Depending on beginning and ending locations and times, most bags arrive the next morning - as promised. If you start the process early in the day and the destination is not too far away, there is a good chance to receive the bags the same evening.

If you start the process later in the day, and/or the destination is far away, you can expect to wait a bit longer.

THANK YOU!

We had seen the "nearby" train stations within walking distance, but I had the feeling they weren't JR Rail Stations, or would be unable to activate our rail passes, I have the feeling you just saved us a lot of frustration! :)

BruceMuzz this is amazing information and very helpful in planning. I had planned upon arrival to Osanbashi to send luggage to our hotel (Hilton by the Bay near DLR) using the luggage transport service at the port then hopping on a train to Disney. I have a question... How likely are we to receive our luggage that evening if dropping bags off early in the morning? Thank you!