The Birth of Azamara Cruises: A Q&A With Dan Hanrahan

LauraS

Laura - we appreciate you taking the time to interview Mr. Hanrahan but none of your questions addressed specifics. With the exception of having to address the disasterous initial sailings it seems like he was given a lot of softball questions and gave the typical corporate weasel answers. Clearly, the reviews from CruiseCritic - even the positive ones, note that the food is no better than Celebrity. While most are saying the ship is (now) really beautiful and the service is great how does that constitute an experience that is a notch above Celebrity? I booked Journey based in large part on these promises from X:

• Food would be better than on Celebrity (Reality: Not true, per most reviewers who've sailed her)
  • Concierge Class amenities in every cabin (Reality: Not true, You can't order a full breakfast from room service as you can in ANY CC stateroom on Celebrity)
  • Butlers for every cabin (Reality: Not true)
  • Small Ship Experience (Reality: Now that we know we were lied to about the cabin sizes we are realizing that our stateroom will be smaller than our CC room on Infinity - I guess that IS a "small ship experience")
  • Expanded specialty dining experience (Reality: Yes, there are now two places where you can pay extra to dine with only one "no charge" night one a 14 night cruise).

I found Mr. Hanrahan's answers to be very vague and in most instances, without specifics (much like X's land-based customer service). I would have preferred some tangible examples of WHEN and HOW they were going to address deficiencies and why the onboard experience will be a notch below cruising in a CC stateroom on X's regular ships. If this is X's way of competing with Oceania then they are failing miserably.

Anyone who has read my many posts this week knows that we had a very good cruise and loved the smaller ship, country club casual experience. However, I must agree, for the most part, with Captain Cosmo. Mr. Hanrahan did not provide ANY new information and talked around rather than TO issues that have been raised in copious messages on CC. The non-benefits for Captain's Club members notably being one example. Frankly, except for getting an additional point towards Elite status, we saw no specific benefits to CC membership. Even the notorious coupon booklets were missing (not that I wanted one, but it would have been something tangible).

As I've said before, I do believe that plans and actions are moving in a positive direction, but I am disappointed in the lack of new information. I've written quite a lengthy letter to Dan Hanrahan, delineating the many positive experiences that we had onboard - most notably specifically naming employees who were exemplary in carrying out their positions - and identifying issues that need both immediate and ongoing attention. I will look for a response from him (or from those to whom he delegates a response) that includes details and specificity. If that occurs, I will share the response on this board.

Mr. Hanrahan's responses reminded me of an episode of M*A*S*H where a general was protesting the call for transparency in the military. "This is a press conference, boys. The last thing I came here to do was answer a bunch of questions!"

As one with an Azamara booking, thanks for taking the time to ask these questions. I see the responses as what you would expect from a CEO with one major exception. I think there is much more recognition of the fact mistakes were made and in this era of corporate bluff I applaud the honesty

• Administrators
Unfortunately, a somewhat disappointing "interview" given the buildup here on CC. At the same time, I fully recognize that CC is not a journalistic enterprise nor is it intended to be one.

Ouch! That "stung"...........

angrybee.jpg

Anyone who has read my many posts this week knows that we had a very good cruise and loved the smaller ship, country club casual experience. However, I must agree, for the most part, with Captain Cosmo. Mr. Hanrahan did not provide ANY new information and talked around rather than TO issues that have been raised in copious messages on CC. The non-benefits for Captain's Club members notably being one example. Frankly, except for getting an additional point towards Elite status, we saw no specific benefits to CC membership. Even the notorious coupon booklets were missing (not that I wanted one, but it would have been something tangible).

As I've said before, I do believe that plans and actions are moving in a positive direction, but I am disappointed in the lack of new information. I've written quite a lengthy letter to Dan Hanrahan, delineating the many positive experiences that we had onboard - most notably specifically naming employees who were exemplary in carrying out their positions - and identifying issues that need both immediate and ongoing attention. I will look for a response from him (or from those to whom he delegates a response) that includes details and specificity. If that occurs, I will share the response on this board.

you are so right-nothing special for CC members. We are booked 10/13, are Elite, and so what!! Am I going anyway, you bet. Guess that's why they won't give anything extra-I'm willing to go without any perks and so are others!

I have elite status with Celebrity and have sailed Oceania. They have some of the best food at sea at a price less than some of the Premium line and the specialty restaurants are free. If I get the same from this new line I will consider her. Otherwise not. I am waiting to see some reader review on this line prior to making a decision. Princess has three similar ships and does not charge an arm and a leg to travel on them. They are doing two world cruises in 09 on them. I am considering them.

Without further delay, here it is: A Q&A With Dan Hanrahan

Thanks to everyone who submitted questions!

Laura

Good article with a lot of info. But it sounds exactly like Oceania (right down to the smoking policy and upgrade restaurant). Why should I choose Azamara over Oceania for my next European cruise? Is their pricing different?

• 3 weeks later...

Captain Cosmos hit the nail dead center. All his questuions are mine. Hust to add another ,perhaps minor point, the website is slower than post office delivery. Hoe good can a cruise ship be with such poor marketing and planning. Some indication of a huge turn around must come from the company.

Archived