To all the fat girls....

dreamer2

Well said, you can spend half the tme worrying about what other people think only to realise they haven't even noticed you.

Enjoy yourself, this isn't a practice.

Margaret

Margaret,

i am 6'1" tall and I learned a long time ago that I can either worry about not being 5'6" and a size 2 or go with it and have a hellava time. Honey,if you can't "Hide it, Decorate it"!!!!At 6'1" I have been a size 6 and I've been an 18 and you can make yourself miserable worrying about this and that but I have always been the same person inside. The pressure that we woman feel to comply with what someone else thinks we should ALL look like is too much. Women need to be nicer to each other and to let each other know that they are beautiful inside and out. I sometimes think a woman's worst enemy is other women brought on by the media,that we are all "Competing" with each other. Love ourselves,love each other. :D

I'm with you, I'm 6' and have huge "girls", and I used to weigh alot less than I do now. One of the best investments I've ever made is permanant makeup! I have eyebrows, and eyeliner, eventually I will get color on my lips, but for now, I just wear lipstick. I look like I'm wearing makeup, and I love not having to redo eye liner after swimming. If I want to go decorated, I put on mascara and a little blush. Yahoo...

There's no hiding giant basoooms, so I don't bother, just be confident, and as pretty as you can be, and enjoy being a girl...

enjoy your vacation, everybody else is worried about themselves anyway..

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, so i wear black on formal nights quite a bit.. but for heavens sake...wear colors, my color is PURPLE..nails, glasses, whatever... AND try everything on by yourself.. and ask how you feel i it.. My little secret.. I always find people fatter than I am..and they are wearing teeny-weeny bikinis with spillage.... My hips are pretty wide, so I wear tops that come over my hips...Ive been known to wear parrot and floral themed capris. Finally got fed up with my hair on formal nights and bought a wig. Oh, I am not in my mid-fifties..way, way over it.. Yes, a good fitting bra and try everything on because as I'm finding out a 2X in one mfg. is a 1X in another.. I've just ordere two huge floral caftans from Pennys... in much bigger sizes..but if i feel good...WHO THE HECK CARES.. I'M THE IMPORTANT ONE

• 2 months later...

The last open prejudice in America is against fat people. I've been fat and I've been thin. It's amazing how much NICER people are to thin people.:mad:

very, very true...I've been a wide range of sizes in my life as well and noticed the same thing as you

on a happier note--have fun on your cruise, no matter your size, and take lots of pics of your happy memories!

I am very heavy...I've found that I look best in pictures where I am wearing something dark on the bottom and more colorful on top...also, wearing interesting and noticeable jewelry, as well as paying particular attention to your hair styling, will draw attention away from your body and towards your smiling face! :)

• 2 weeks later...
very, very true...I've been a wide range of sizes in my life as well and noticed the same thing as you

on a happier note--have fun on your cruise, no matter your size, and take lots of pics of your happy memories!

I am very heavy...I've found that I look best in pictures where I am wearing something dark on the bottom and more colorful on top...also, wearing interesting and noticeable jewelry, as well as paying particular attention to your hair styling, will draw attention away from your body and towards your smiling face! :)

I've also been all sorts of sizes and agree with the "people are much nicer ..." comment. I call gaining weight "putting the kick-me sign back on."

Dreamer I identify with you! I am so paranoid usually about pictures that I am worried my family will never remember what I looked like!(hmm maybe GOOD thing) I am better on vacation though because I do feel better knowing none of these people will be seeing me again but then it comes to seeing the pictures we took LOTS of deleting goes on! I am always surprised to see that short fat redhead standing there. Who is she? I always FEEL prettier and skinner than those pictures show. That being sadi I can't say I ever let it ruin any vacation for me after all there IS a delete button.

I am the tall, fat redheaded white blob. While I love being a redhead - it certainly doesn't make me any more photogenic!

And as someone with I size 22 waist but size 18 hips and size 14 thighs (I know I am a complete anomoly!) - I'm not too proud to wear maternity pants -- better that they fit than I look like I'm wearing clown pants!

I know that we are very self conscious about pics. I'm right there. However, we need to remember that our kids and grandkids aren't going to see us like that in 20-30 years. They are going to say, "Oh, doesn't grandma look beautiful?"

We need to do all those little tricks and side turns, etc. and then smile pretty..............because we are..............

My husband and are I not thin, so we do alot of hug or hide pictures ( I hide behind him looking over his shoulder) but.... when went on our cruise last year there was one picture we took that I loved. At dinner when the ship was doing all the fancy back drops, we took a picture with the white back drop and we were laying on our belly's:p .... It was such a good picture I bought a bunch and sent them to relatives. We even use it for our wedding. just take lots of pictures like someone had mentioned you'll find some you really like.

Ok girls, I need some advice on how to get some great family shots. I am bad about not getting in any of the shots because of being overweight. Enough is enough, I'm going to be in some pictures during MY cruise so I need some help. Give me some tips on hiding the fat. The top is the worst problem...big boobs which make you look even heavier than you actually are. Help please!

OK, here is my little secret (maybe it's someone else's, too, but I admit I didn't get through all of the posts).

When the photographer says SMILE, push your tongue flat against the roof of your mouth/throat. This makes any hint of a slightly saggy/double chin look a lot better. Downside is that you can't actually breathe, but for the quick click of the shutter, you'll survive. Practice in front of a mirror!

• 4 weeks later...
Ok girls, I need some advice on how to get some great family shots. I am bad about not getting in any of the shots because of being overweight. Enough is enough, I'm going to be in some pictures during MY cruise so I need some help. Give me some tips on hiding the fat. The top is the worst problem...big boobs which make you look even heavier than you actually are. Help please!

Who cares . Love yourself just like you are. When your 80 you'll wish you had been in all the photos of every memorable moment.

Now a trick my daughter taught me for my double chin- tilt your head down slightly then smile!!!!

Okay.. lets get over this body image crap!!!! Yesterday this 73 year old 1x-2X lady bought LIME GREEN PANTS..AND SHORTS. (no the shorts arent lime green, but a few of the tops are..lol).no, not short, shorts, but shorts. Dont know if this makes any impact into all of you but.. my only sister died a terrible death of breast cancer and on her death bed was eating DIET YOGURT AND DIET FOODS...WE are what we are... What you may need is to go to be fitted for a proper size bra and if you have to wear a size bigger size in a jersey..DO IT..and you wont bulge on top and feel self conscious.. Yes, while shopping for the shorts I tried on two different sizes, some 22 and some 24.. and I bought the ones that looked the best..NOT BAGGY.. If you have shop that sells Sag Harbor(wonder if they are on the net) and you can get to a Lane Bryant..and a lingerie store like Lady Grace that measures and fits you..DO IT.. for heavens sakes..AND put a smile on your face..

Remember this:

1) No one pays your bills but you.

2) People tend to think a situation is far worse than it really is.

3) Most people tend to think with their emotions instead of logic.

That being said, enjoy life and be you. Life is too short to be worried about what other people think (and 2/3 of the time, people imagine a worst-case scenario and are wrong about what everyone else truly thinks anyway).

So, get in that picture!!

• 2 weeks later...

:) Do a sideways shot, but not fully sideways. Choose your best side, believe it or not everyone has one. Take some photos at home and pick your side. Wear clothes that you fully feel comfortable, confident, and sexy in. DONT BE SHY! Put your right foot a little bit in front, lean a little back (meaning arch your back; but not too much!), and make sure most of your weight is on the back foot.

This is what many fashion photographers recommend and it does work!

:)

Here's a few more hints...first of all, darker prints can sometimes be better than solids because it camouflages any rolls and bulges. also when someone is taking your pic, have them stand a bit above you like on stairs. Then stand like everyone was mentioning (one leg in front, etc.)

Black, Black, Black.

quote]

Wrong, wrong ,wrong! Why should us big girls not show ourselves to be bright vivacius people that we are.

Lets turn peoples idea of size around. Yes, it would be nice to be more shapely but while black has its place go for it and have a little fun with your clothes.

I was thrilled to bits when on QE2 it was the red, white & blue night to find in the extra large section of TKMax a fab long, low cut with a touch of diamante evening dress.

In the lift going for dinner a fellow traveller said I love your dress. I wouldn't have even been noticed in something dull and boring.

Go for it girls and steel the show.

Margaret

You've got the right attititude!

Dreamer2...I say forget about the poses, how to tilt your chin, how to dress..etc. Get in those family pics, feel fabulous and show off your shapely bod!!

• 1 month later...

I agree with a lot of what everyone else is saying:

~ Turn to the side but twist your waist towards the camera

~ Keep your chin up

~ Wear black

~ Wear a V-neck

~ Pull your shoulders back

~ Try not to press your arms flat against your sides

And most important..... be proud of yourself and dont let others impressions keep you down! Be happy and thankful you're on a great vacation and soak up every minute of it. Sometimes I've learned that I ruined my vacations by trying to take the perfect pictures wearing the perfect clothes and realized that my whole trip was seen from behind the viewfinder. :-D

Archived