Restaurants between airport and Crowder

HOSKI

Could someone suggest good family (cheap) restaurants between the airport and LaQuinta Crowder? We enjoy southern fried chicken and seafood. Probably doing lunch between the two and dinner by the LaQuinta one day.

Hey Hoski. I have to run over to N.O. Tuesday, so I will make a special effort just for you, my friend. :) I'll drive down Crowder near LaQuinta, pen and pad at my side - and make a list, ok? (I won't be back till late Thursday, so will post either Thursday night or Friday morning.) I promise!

OK, I'm back. I drove down Crowder Blvd., passing LaQuinta just off I-10. Unfortunately, Crowder has very little to offer other than the usual fast food restaurants - Wendy's, Shoney's, etc. That entire area is so far removed from CBD, the Quarter, Warehouse and Garden Districts (where all the good, authentic, regional restaurants are, as most visitors are concentrated in those areas).

If y'all go past LaQuinta several blocks, you'll come to Lake Forrest Blvd., and there are more restaurants on Lake Forest, but they are similiar to what's on Crowder. Your best bet (in case I missed something) is to ask the front desk personnel. One of them might just know a GREAT little restaurant that I didn't see?

From the airport to the Crowder Blvd. Exit, it's the same situation. All the outlying areas are just not known for having the best restaurants. , because they're so scattered, and most visitors go to the other areas for real cajun cuisine. However, there are some really good neighborhood restaurants out by Lakefront and West End, but that's whole other areas.

But - don't despair. I'll tell you this.....I've mentioned Popeye's Chicken a coupla times. It's the BEST of the BEST fried chicken you'll find anywhere in the city! Popeye's originated in N.O. many years ago, and has hundreds of franchises now. By far, the best "southern fried chicken" you'll get anywhere. Ask any local. (Oh, and I would advise that you don't get the 'spicy', especially for your daughter. The 'mild' is just like my mama has cooked all my life.) The two best 'sides' are Red Beans 'n Rice and 'Dirty' Rice. If you get the mashed potatoes for your daughter, tell them not to put any gravy on it...it's spicy.

If you happen to see a "Copeland's" anywhere during your driving around, GO THERE! The same guy (Al Copeland) owns it as Popeye's, and the food is outstanding. He also owns "Wholly Macheral!", which is also very good.

Sorry I can't be more optimistic, Hoski - but I 'sho gave it my best try for you!:)

Cotton is absolutely right. Eastern New Orleans is a complete wasteland as far as restaurants go. Nothing but fast food and some pretty ordinary Asian places.

She mentioned West End. Getting there would be only about a 15 minute detour along the way from the airport. Ditto with the French Quarter. There are some inexpensive places to eat that I'm sure you would enjoy.

Either option would be preferable to trying to find decent food arounf Crowder.

I was in Myrtle Beach for a long weekend with DH. I've been going crazy lately and haven't got here much.

Thanks so much Cotton. I really appreciate it. I've been so out of it lately and thank you for the help.

Archived