The LAFFNVEGAS "LIVE" from the MS Noordam Up To Alaska Thread

LAFFNVEGAS

Tom and Lisa ... I'm so excited for you both. You are going to love the NOORDAM. She is a beautiful ship. We will be going back on her in September for a Seattle to NYC cruise.

Can't wait to read your reports!!!

By the way, when you have a chance, can you tell us the exact address of the port in Seattle where the HAL ships dock. This will help us for our September trip. Thanks!

Lisa, I guess you really are the godmother of the Oosterdam, thats what I call special attention for one so loyal. You didn't tell us what you had for lunch?

I guess you must be feeling rather tired by now, so off to bed early and onwards to Alaska, my god, am I envious :D

Val

Lisa, I'm so excited for you - but I've missed everything today due to a long day in court. I missed your departure to Seattle and of course, the Banner Wave from the Oosterdam. I'll check the threads to see the pictures. I hope you have a great trip - I'm looking forward to your reports; they're always so full of information for those of us who haven't been on the ship before. Have a wonderful time both in Seattle and onboard the Noordam!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Gerry

It all sounds wonderful, Lisa.

Happy you had such a great day. It's always such a treat to 'visit' a ship....but so painful to leave.

Enjoy the beautiful Noordam.....she's a VERY special ship. :)

Good Evening One and ALL:) It has certainly been one full day but one excellent FULL day;)

We dined at Shuckers here at the Olympic Fairmont and I will say that it was very good. Yes it is pub style in looks but the menu was definitely excellent seafood. I had Seared Red River Sockeye Salmon which was absolutely wonderful along with it was a Crab Mac and cheese. Yes I said macoroni and cheese. Let me say this was so good. This was baked with 4 cheeses and crab and so wonderful. Of course the salmon was excellent. Tom had a NY Steak and said it was one of the best NYs he has had. The we had a bottle of Gloria Ferrer Brut which had come recommended by Dave aka dakrewser. It too was very good:D Then of course we could not walk away without dessert, didn't I mention that it was "Let the Vacation Begin" time. Tom had this monster chocolate cake and ice cream. I was shocked at the size of this cake, then I had this really good Key Lime Pie. Then after eating and drinking and eating more we waddled back to our room.:o I am so stuffed, I have got to pace myself I still have 7 days on the Noordam.

I have spoke with hawgwildterry and we will be meeting up with him tomorrow morning for breakfast and he will take us to the pier afterwards.

I feel we have gotten really lucky with the weather today, it really turned out quite nice and tomorrow looks to be more of the same. I thnk we may even have good weather the rest of the week.

I am very close to caling it a day, we have been up over 17 hours now and my eyes are burning. Of course it doesn't help that I wore my contacts today and had not worn them since our March cruise.

Tomorrow is the BIG Day that Tom and I finally get to see and go on board the Beautiful MS Noordam, I am sure she will be great but the Oosterdam is definitely tops in my book.

Signing off from the Olympic Fairmont in beautiful downtown Seattle.

Thanks so much for the recap of your day. It sounds like you had a fabulous time and I'm going to dream of crab mac & cheese tonight!! My fingers are crossed that you will have great weather, smooth seas and a great vacation.

Tomorrow is the BIG Day that Tom and I finally get to see and go on board the Beautiful MS Noordam, I am sure she will be great but the Oosterdam is definitely tops in my book

;) I'm sure James had to practically drag you off of her today!

I am really loving following your trip! We arrive in Seattle on the 7th for our July 8 cruise on the Noordam and also staying at the Fairmont. I've noted your dinner venue and review as well - thank you!

I've also cruised on the Oosterdam and loved it, and am looking forward to your comments and comparisons. Are you in an SA suite on the Noordam?

Enjoy your cruise and thank you for taking time to write these reports!!

Moriah

Good Morning Fellow HAL Cruisers:) We are ready for the day. Actually Tom and I both woke early and could not get back to sleep mostly because the bed was not what we are use to (Not being a HAL Mariner Dream mattress;) ) It was a bit hard yet the springs were too bouncy. One thing really great about this hotel room is the shower, it is really great. The amentites are very nice as well and the room is extremely quiet. The personal touch of always calling you by name is very nice as well as when you request wake up call they will also call you back a 2nd time. Gotta have that snooze alarm, although I really did not need it this morning.

We are more than ready to get our first look at the Noordam:D I am so looking forward to this week ahead, the weather forecasts are looking better everyday.

Signing off from the Olympic Fairmont in downtown Seattle and soon to be on the Noordam:)

It seems you had a good start already with your lunch on Oosterdam.

We are looking forward again to your daily reports.

Have a great cruise.

I met Lisa and Tom this morning at the Olympic Fairmont Hotel. This was my first time meeting them in person and they are two of the nicest people. After breakfast I drove them to the Noordam and we said our goodbyes.

One of the Princess ships was also at Pier 30 and she was nose to nose with the Noordam. What got my attention when both ships came into view was how classy the Noordam looked compared to the all white Princess ship. The paint scheme of the HAL ships just exudes class…..at least that is my personal viewpoint.

Have a great cruise Lisa and Tom and try not to rub it in too much as how good of a time you are having.

The photo on the left is Lisa and Tom. The photo on the right is of Lisa and myself. Both photos taken in the foyer of the Olympic Fairmont.

jse_Lisa_and_Tom.jpg.8daa840c747d169f6ddd41590c0a6a73.jpg

jse_Lisa_and_Terry.jpg.0cb1d58f35be57d47ed4f32fc75dc67f.jpg

I agree. After reading the review section, the reviews are so mixed. I agree opinions are subjective, but the extremes are so hard to read.

I almost always learn more about the people writing the review than I do the particular ship or sailing. No two people have the same cruise experience and so much is colored by our individual expectations, bias, preference and perception to render almost all reviews useless.

The old Noordam had a lot of problems during her last few years, while she sailed some marvelous intineraries, at rock bottom prices. It was always something and made for good reading in a warped way.

I took my chances. I fully expected the absolute worst sailing experience but the price was right. And despite what so many reviewers said, my air conditioning and plumbing worked, I did not notice a stench, the service was wonderful and the food just fine. I think it cost me about $55 a day for this particuar sail. It was fabulous.

The Noordam is visible from the Sun Princess bridge cam now. Go to www.Kroooz-cam.com and click on Princess and then Sun Princess and you see the bow of the Noordam--looks a bit windy today. Is anyone taking wave photos today of Tom and Lisa?

Peggy,

That link doesn't take me to the Princess cam...:( A small "k" Maybe?

Ok...I got there through a link I had in my saved places.....but I don't know if Lisa is planning a wave or not.

Archived