Vacation Hair!

I have curly hair so I usually get it cut about a week and a half before our cruise. It gives it time to "settle down", lol. It's usually at its best-looking about a week after I cut it.

I also have highlights so I'll probably get them freshened when I get the cut. I actually think the highlights are too bright (yes, I'm hashing this one out again) so I already talked to my stylist about it for next time. I'll be taking those foils out myself and rinsing it if he tries to leave them on too long again. :rolleyes:

I get mine a week before so that I have gotten used to doing it, but it's still fresh!

That was what I USED to do until may hair stylist cut it WAY too short! She'd been styling/highlighting my hair for 3.5 years, but she was stubborn about cutting it. 'I'm just going to trim the sides here, etc.' I continued to see her though, because she did good highlights, and was reasonably priced. Well, she ended up RUINING it one week before our cruise! I can't stand to look at our 2005 cruise photos. Fortunately, I found someone else I like. (A little more $, but she respects my wishes when I don't want much cut.)

Anyway, I now have mine done two weeks ahead. I'm sometimes paranoid though. LOL!

Quite awhile ago, there was a thread going on clip-on hair pieces/extensions... but I can't seem to find it.

Does anyone have links to reputable sites that sell these items for reasonable prices? I've done a google search for sites in general, but prefer to use sites that someone has dealt with and had good luck, etc.

I have very very thin, very fine, very straight hair and have difficulty styling it. I thought that if I pinned it back and then clipped in a hair piece I could have instant hairdo's for our upcoming cruise. Any type of curl I put into my hair does not last long and then add in the caribbean humidity factor...ugh...you get my drift. LOL.

I'm getting mine trimmed and highlighted 1.5-2 weeks before my wedding, which is 2-2.5 weeks before we cruise. My stylist said that will give my hair time to settle down but the highlights won't start growing out yet.

I get extremely natural-looking highlights so I'm not really too worried about it, though. In fact, I brought in a picture of myself when I was 3 years old and had these amazing highlights from playing out in the sun. I told her to replicate it, and I really like the way they look. I've had trouble before with getting blonde highlights (my hair is naturally a light brown) and having it look too harsh and stripe-y - which I don't prefer (on myself, at least). :D

I have curly hair so I usually get it cut about a week and a half before our cruise. It gives it time to "settle down", lol. It's usually at its best-looking about a week after I cut it.

I also have highlights so I'll probably get them freshened when I get the cut. I actually think the highlights are too bright (yes, I'm hashing this one out again) so I already talked to my stylist about it for next time. I'll be taking those foils out myself and rinsing it if he tries to leave them on too long again. :rolleyes:

I'd not advise this! If he's using bleach, you will end up with brassy red highlights if you don't allow them to process long enough (if you start out with brown or dark brown hair). Under processing bleach or color products can have disastrous results. Not as bad as overprocessing, but a correction will be needed.

Highlights can be done with color, not just bleach. Or, have him use finer sections. Or find a better colorist, the same person that cuts your hair does not have to be the one who colors it. Perhaps have hime do a "reverse" highlight, where you add some darker hair to too much lightened hair.

Have a consultation first, before they get started :)

i have a hairpiece that is an ABSOLUTE total match to my hair. no one can ever tell its fake because the match is so right on. the one i use is actually 2 pieces i put together. i've tried to find what i have on the internet but no luck.

basically its a like one of those 3 inch wide hair combs with two sections of hair coming out of it like antenna on bendable wire. you put your hair in a pony tail and tuck it under. then you put one piece/comb in the top of the ponytail and put antoher one up underneath locking them together. then you twist the hair around to cover everything up.

i buy mine at King of Prussia mall at a kiosk called Soho. i attached a picture. its not the best (i'm blowing bubbles in it), but you will get the idea.

bubbles133.jpg.a48f97945202777e9b636c63a7fc2adc.jpg

I'd not advise this! If he's using bleach, you will end up with brassy red highlights if you don't allow them to process long enough (if you start out with brown or dark brown hair). Under processing bleach or color products can have disastrous results. Not as bad as overprocessing, but a correction will be needed.

Highlights can be done with color, not just bleach. Or, have him use finer sections. Or find a better colorist, the same person that cuts your hair does not have to be the one who colors it. Perhaps have hime do a "reverse" highlight, where you add some darker hair to too much lightened hair.

Have a consultation first, before they get started :)

That is so weird that you told me this. I just talked to someone who told me the same thing. I guess I'll have to find another colorist. I would have gone from the frying pan into the fire, lol. He does a fantastic job cutting my hair, though.

God, I hate looking for someone new. :rolleyes:

Cruzfan, I thought we settled this issue a few weeks ago? LEAVE YOUR HAIR ALONE!! :D

BobK/Orlando

PS- I like those Guess shoes you posted elsewhere. Great shoes!

I AM leaving it alone. LOL. I'm just preparing for next time I get the highlights freshened up. :D

Thanks for the compliment on the shoes. I love 'em. :D

Quite awhile ago, there was a thread going on clip-on hair pieces/extensions... but I can't seem to find it.

Does anyone have links to reputable sites that sell these items for reasonable prices? I've done a google search for sites in general, but prefer to use sites that someone has dealt with and had good luck, etc.

I have very very thin, very fine, very straight hair and have difficulty styling it. I thought that if I pinned it back and then clipped in a hair piece I could have instant hairdo's for our upcoming cruise. Any type of curl I put into my hair does not last long and then add in the caribbean humidity factor...ugh...you get my drift. LOL.

Hope I'm not too late, but the Jessica Simpson extensions are really good. My best friend has them and you can't even tell when she wears them.

http://www.hairextensions.com

I can't find any pictures with her when she has them in, but you really can't tell I promise.

Edit: Just realized that it's $85 per clip, but she said it was worth it compared to getting real extensions put in which cost $900 around here if not more.

Puglvr- Not sure where you live, but you should be able to find them pretty cheap at a Beauty Supply or Wig Shop- not your local Sally's. These 2 places typically cater to ethnic woman and our owned by Asians, but carry hair in every color and hair type (to give you an idea of where to look for one near you). You can get a bun or ponytail for about 8-12 dollars, depending on the length, they also carry the clip in extensions for WAY Less then the J. Simpson brand, of course it's not authentic hair, so you can't use heat on them. If your hair is super fine or thin, the "clip ins" might not be the right choice for you- the 'clip' needs to have something to 'grip' on to. Also, if you can't find the exact color to match your current hair color, you can pick an 'extension' color that you like and dye your real hair that color, so you get a perfect match.

I get a cut about two weeks pre-cruise. Depends on the highlights. I have a medium to dark brown hair, and the older I get the darker it gets. I started adding dark golden highlights (not chunky - very subtle) a couple of years ago. Last time, I added some strawberry-blonde highlights, and I really liked it and am adding more tomorrow evening. When I get my cut in late August (cruising mid-Sept), I will decide if I will add more of the Apricot Glaze (don't know brand) or stick with the lighter. I really like the dimension with the two highlight colors and my natural color. My highlights are so subtle that most of my co-workers will know something looks different the day after but cannot figure out what it is.

That is so weird that you told me this. I just talked to someone who told me the same thing. I guess I'll have to find another colorist. I would have gone from the frying pan into the fire, lol. He does a fantastic job cutting my hair, though.

God, I hate looking for someone new. :rolleyes:

If you thought the highlights too bright and it already processed, your colorist can put a colored toner on when they do the glossing at the end. I've had highlights come up too quickly. Depending where I am in my monthly cycle, I can be very hard to lighten at the roots. My colorist will also remove the lower foils from the grown out longer layers and leave the scalp foils in. She does low lights as well if I want to tone it down for the winter. The lowlight color won't remain indefinitely, but it helps blend in the additional growing out highlights I have done in the summer. A good colorist is the key. I go a long while between haircuts and she's shown me how to trim my ends so that I can afford the foiling. I have fine hair and I need someone who is an expert so I can make the most of what I've got! lol!

I bought the same hair as KateHarper (same colour even), also at a kiosk in a Tampa mall. I forget which mall it was, but I'm thinking International?? Anyway, the girls there just totally pounced on me and matched it up in no time. BEST $20 I've ever spent and I had so many compliments on it. Just make a ponytail and wrap the hair around. Amazing.

nice! hope you enjoy your hair!

my hair is naturally wavy and curly underneath and sometimes looks GREAT with the humidity in the carribean (it really creates good curls for me) but it looks like crap when i try to pull it up all natural. so for convenience, i pull my hair up almost everyday on my cruise and throw that hair piece in. its GREAT!

i have a fantastic hair depot nearby that sells EVERY KIND OF HAIR imaginable. most of the hairpieces are inexpensive. i like the ponytails that i have drawstring. they stay on nice and tight

Archived