Forum Maintenance: Wednesday March 20 @5:00 am ET Read more... ×
Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Paticakes

Zuiderdam 8/7 Western Quick Review

Just back from the Zuiderdam 8/7. What a wonderful ship. We had a great time and no major complaints. A few minor ones but considering the overall vacation it was fantastic value for the money. Service was outstanding and would sail HAL again in a minute.

We didn't experience any of the negatives that I have heard expressed. A/c was great, toliets fine, very little vibration when we ate in the lower dining room for breakfast. The decor was ok but missed the grand elaborate atrium.

We had upper seating at 5:45 and I thought the upper dinning room was a little more elegant then the lower. We had table #1 for 4 by a window at the front of the dinning room. Our waiter was excellent and always available. He did tell us at the end of the cruise that he was a little hesitant to ask how everything was since they were limiting entrees to one per person. He said it was the first time they had done this. It was fine for us since we only wanted one and only heard one complaint from someone about this. We did have two desserts though!! Meals were outstanding although very little variety. If you like Salmon it was on the menu almost every night. We ate in the dinning room for dinner every night except once we ate in the Lido. That was good too and you still got waited on after you went through the line to place your dinner order. Once again....service was outstanding.

We didn't stop in Grand Cayman due to the hurricane but stayed at sea Wednesday and went to Nassau on Thursday. We had 7 days of perfect weather and only the drive back through Florida had some rain. We didn't even know there was a hurrican until they announced we weren't going to the Caymans. Everything was handled in such a professional manner, you hardly new there was a change.

Key West and Cozumel were great ports. Went on the Conch train in Key West and a city tour in Nassau. Half Moon Cay is paradise. Could have went there at least twice!!

Will be happy to answer any questions....Guess I better start booking my next cruise!!

Patti

:) Welcome Home

Glad you had a great cruise and will be sailing HAL again in the future.

Being able to order only 1 entree at dinner wouldn't bother us - that's all we ever ordered and sometimes we couldn't finish an entire meal if we wanted to save room for dessert.

hi:) thanks for the review.....will be sailing her for the first time next month...

I agree with KK.....I only order 1 entree anyway;) !

Glad you had such a good time!

Glad to hear you had wonderful cruise! We were worried about weather.

Now... do they really limit entrees??? :( Never heard of anything like this. My husband will be disappointed!

Sorry we never met shipboard. My DH was Mr. Zuiderdam. The only CC folks we ever ran in to was Ziggy7.

I also never found the CC log book in the library and I went multiple times.

I am not going to write a detailed review the ship or experience any time soon as I have promptly in the past because frankly, I am still struggling with the words. This was our our fourth HAL cruise and it was UNLIKE ANY OTHER.

I Rate the Zuiderdam VERY HIGH on entertainment, Oddessy, and decor was amusing.

But as a suite passenger...:confused:

This is a VERY DIFFERENT CRUISE! Whether the Suite beniefits are reduced on the whole line or just this ship I don't know. But it IS NOT A WHEELCHAIR FRIENDLY SHIP. Nor is it a cruising environment I will again expose my children to.

People with specific questions are welcome to e-mail me... but again, I am truely struggling with the words.:(

This was our our fourth HAL cruise and it was UNLIKE ANY OTHER.

This is a VERY DIFFERENT CRUISE! Whether the Suite beniefits are reduced on the whole line or just this ship I don't know. But it IS NOT A WHEELCHAIR FRIENDLY SHIP. Nor is it a cruising environment I will again expose my children to.

(

TylerRose, I know I am not alone with questions as to the very disturbing words above. PLEASE explain....very different cruise, suite benefits reduced, not wheelchair friendly, won't expose children again to this cruising environment??? I understand you may not want to do a complete review, but PLEASE give your reasons for the above statements. :eek:

Glad to hear you had wonderful cruise! We were worried about weather.

Now... do they really limit entrees??? :( Never heard of anything like this. My husband will be disappointed!

He's not the ONLY one! I would actually change cruise lines over this if I had a choice without penalty. Please tell me it was only because of the uncertainty of the route due to the storms.

Note: I do not encourage ordering more than one entree. I rarely do it. But the option to have the rack of lamb AND the grilled shrimp is - FOR ME - one of the top luxuries of cruising. Everyome has their own favorites. If they were to eliminate room service or shore excursions, that wouldn't bother me, but would surely bother many people.

Dining decadence is my cruise thing, and I have the physique to prove it! :D

Nor is it a cruising environment I will again expose my children to.

Are you talking about something inappropriate for children overall...or just for your children?

How old are your kids?

I keep hearing they are limiting entree's to one per person. When did they start this? Not that I order two, but once we did order two entree's, put the extra one in the middle of the table for everyone to try. Not complaining, but wondering. Is it on all ships they are doing this????

I keep hearing they are limiting entree's to one per person. When did they start this? Not that I order two, but once we did order two entree's, put the extra one in the middle of the table for everyone to try. Not complaining, but wondering. Is it on all ships they are doing this????

Definitely not! I remember us ordering several different entees on our RCCL cruise in may. Our waiter was more than happy to accomodate us.

When my DH couldn't decide what he wanted she even told him to pick something and if he didn't like order another entree.

I think if HAL will do this line will have hard time selling cruises...

People with specific questions are welcome to e-mail me... but again, I am truely struggling with the words.:(

Please, elaborate on those details without requiring every person whose curiosity you've piqued to email you...

We definitiely experienced the "limiting" of the entrees. We had one person in our party that wanted to try the food from two different entrees. The waiter said that they are not supposed to do that and discouraged it. The waiter did eventually bring the two different entrees but you could tell that this was not something they do much any more. Most of our party was just fine with a single entree.

TylerRose - please elaborate more.....it will be very helpful and very much appreciated among your fellow cruisers. Thank you in advance :).

Marie

Tyler Rose - I am very curious about your obvious disappointment in your "suite life" and I would really like to hear about your experience as we will be in a suite next month (our 2nd time with HAL, our first time on the Zuiderdam).

I know your experience had to be a difficult one to explain or you wouldn't be at such a loss for words but I'm certain everyone would like to hear what you have to say.

Deb

I posted a review for those who asked... lets leave this area for Patti.

Remember, we all have our own feelings about "OUR VACATION"... my opinions only relate to my experience that week on that ship in that destination.

Zuiderdam is beautiful, and I would recommend her to anyone looking for a change from Carnival or RC.