Sunny Liston's Tours

cot427

Sonny's wife told us earlier this month that there is an admission fee per person for Megan's Bay as well as a fee for taxi drivers to exit the park. I guess that is why he is more hesitant to go there and charges more if he does. We went to Sapphire and it was beautiful, but I would like to go to Megan's when we get down there again.

I was told by Sunny that Megan's Bay is no problem, but that it would be an additional $5 (for the group, not per person) for the trip back to the ship. Not sure why this is, but it is what it is...

That's weird because when we went with Sunny last month, the people who wanted to be dropped off at Megan's Bay paid a $4 entrance fee to the attendant at the beach, nothing additional to Sunny.

We just got back from our cruise and Sonny was wonderful...take his advice and go to Sapphire....Several of us wanted to go to Coki at first, so he drove us by there...and it was crowded as hell.....some friends told us Megans Bay was even worse...but Sapphire was wonderful....plenty of room...beautiful water...etc....

The tour was great, the view wonderful...Sonny was fun and informative....but if I ever hear that song again I think I'll snap....lol

Ok, so I have two questions. We are booked with Sunny for the tour...

What about lunch? Is there a place to grab something quick or do most people wait until the beach to get something to eat?

One of the girls in our group may need to take her wheelchair along... long story short, she is doubling up on physical therapy and can now walk for short distances, but not for extended periods of time or distance. Anyone have experience with taking a wheelchair on the tour, or should we have her take her crutches instead?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Jenn

Ok, so I have two questions. We are booked with Sunny for the tour...

What about lunch? Is there a place to grab something quick or do most people wait until the beach to get something to eat?

One of the girls in our group may need to take her wheelchair along... long story short, she is doubling up on physical therapy and can now walk for short distances, but not for extended periods of time or distance. Anyone have experience with taking a wheelchair on the tour, or should we have her take her crutches instead?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Jenn

There's a nice little place in the downtown area by Main St called Gladys Cafe that's very good for lunch. The service was great as was the food. Very friendly staff.

I really don't think Sunny has enough room in his truck to accomodate a wheelchair. She might want to just bring her crutches.

Cot427, I am using Sonny next week. We leave for our cruise this Saturday. Check back with me and I will give you all the skinny. I have read posts after posts after posts and have only read awesome things about Sunny and his drivers. Sunny is going to be out of town when we are there next week but one of his drivers is picking us up at the port. We are doing a 3 hour shopping, tour of the island and then probably to Magen's as well.

Talk to you in a few weeks!!!!

You mean Sonny's does just shopping and a beach, I thought he also did it with a tour and didn't know you can do it with just the two.

I want to go to Megans Bay and shopping.

I just want to comment on the wheelchair. We were not with Sunny, but on EEE Tours and my father had his wheelchair. Same circumstances, he can't walk long distances, but can walk. We really only used it to and from the ship. However, there was a place in the back of the vehicle that it fit, and the EEE Tours vehicles look very similar to Sunny's.

I would recommend emailing and asking if there is a place for a wheelchair. It would have to fold up....

I just want to comment on the wheelchair. We were not with Sunny, but on EEE Tours and my father had his wheelchair. Same circumstances, he can't walk long distances, but can walk. We really only used it to and from the ship. However, there was a place in the back of the vehicle that it fit, and the EEE Tours vehicles look very similar to Sunny's.

I would recommend emailing and asking if there is a place for a wheelchair. It would have to fold up....

Thanks, I really appreciate all of the responses. I saw her the other night, and she said that the doctor refers to her as "partially immobile" so that is what I wrote in my email. The chair folds up so hopefully she can take it with her. I feel so bad for her, everything was supposed to be better, and it is just not healing right.

Again, thanks for your help!!

We were on the Crown Princess at end of July and arranged the Sonny Liston tour in advance. Must admit to being a little disappointed. They were late picking us up and then our shopping time in St Thomas was further cut short to accommodate another ship (despite me checking this point with Sonny by email in advance). Mountaintop was a nice view but basically a souvenir shop/bar. The Days of the Week song was bearable but Sonny's screeching throughout was not.

We did not have time to stop at Sapphire Beach - majority rules; we only had a choice of 10 minutes or 2 hours (and the latter would have meant missing the ship).

Just took Sunny's tour this past Saturday. We did 2 hrs of shopping, some touring of the island, and Sapphire Beach (which I loved, it was the first time I've actually been in a Caribbean beach, with those awesome turquiose waters).

My BF and I absolutely loved Sunny's tour. Sunny was our guide, and he had a full bus. Some parts were slightly nerve-wracking because of the roads, but Sunny was awesome and funny, and that darned "Every Days of the Week" song is still stuck in my head. It's so stuck that I'm trying to figure out who sings it so I can buy the CD, and listen to that song whenever I want to remember the great time I had in St. Thomas.:D

For all of you who are wondering what all the fuss is about! There are 2 videos on Youtube of the tour. Brought back lots of great memories. We took his tour last Seprttember and it was the highlight of our cruise on Caribbean Princess.Kathi Cruiser

• 1 month later...
You all are making me sooo excited about this tour. I am glad I choose it.

Keep the good reviews coming..

I got back from our cruise on the 8th. I had so much fun on Sunny's tour. We had his wife's van but both vans get together and Sunny tells you some really interesting things about the island. They are a fun couple. The people are right, the day of the week song sticks in your head. We took the 3 hours shopping, tour and then we had him take us to more shopping. You will have a ball.

Linda

I got back from our cruise on the 8th. I had so much fun on Sunny's tour. We had his wife's van but both vans get together and Sunny tells you some really interesting things about the island. They are a fun couple. The people are right, the day of the week song sticks in your head. We took the 3 hours shopping, tour and then we had him take us to more shopping. You will have a ball.

Linda

It was a great tour. Loved every minute of it.

I wanted to make a reservation with Sunny and we were planning to end up at Magen's Bay for a couple of hours before he returned us to the ship. He responding to my online reservation submission with the following:

"From the ship we travel to down town Charlotte Amarlie to shop until 11.45am. After shopping we will start the sightseeing tour of the island up to the Mountain Top to different points of the island for about 1 ½ to 2 hours. Then we take you to Sapphire Beach, or Coki Point Beach to swim, snorkle, jet ski,or parasail, or just do whatever your heart impels you to do for the rest of the afternoon. Your tour ends back at the ship."

Okay, I saw no mention of Magen's Bay in his response so I wrote back asking why. Here is the reply:

"Yes you can go there if you will like to. You will just have to pay the fees. It is $4.00 each person to enter and a $5.00 exit fee for the taxi to pick you up from there."

He clearly mentions Magen's Bay as one of three beach options on nis website but from the sound of his reply he just leaves you there to catch a taxi back to the ship when you are done, although I really don't know what an "exit fee" is.

Can anyone explain what is going on here? I know what the 4 buck charge is for but why isn't he picking up the Magen's folks at the end of the day?

I wanted to make a reservation with Sunny and we were planning to end up at Magen's Bay for a couple of hours before he returned us to the ship. He responding to my online reservation submission with the following:

"From the ship we travel to down town Charlotte Amarlie to shop until 11.45am. After shopping we will start the sightseeing tour of the island up to the Mountain Top to different points of the island for about 1 ½ to 2 hours. Then we take you to Sapphire Beach, or Coki Point Beach to swim, snorkle, jet ski,or parasail, or just do whatever your heart impels you to do for the rest of the afternoon. Your tour ends back at the ship."

Okay, I saw no mention of Magen's Bay in his response so I wrote back asking why. Here is the reply:

"Yes you can go there if you will like to. You will just have to pay the fees. It is $4.00 each person to enter and a $5.00 exit fee for the taxi to pick you up from there."

He clearly mentions Magen's Bay as one of three beach options on nis website but from the sound of his reply he just leaves you there to catch a taxi back to the ship when you are done, although I really don't know what an "exit fee" is.

Can anyone explain what is going on here? I know what the 4 buck charge is for but why isn't he picking up the Magen's folks at the end of the day?

I would suggest you e mail him with this question. He is a very fair person and isn't trying to rip you off. I don't know if he has changed it or people just agree to pay the extra if they want that beach. The fees don't go to him, they go to others. My guess is, it is farther away and he can't charge the same amount and agree to pick you up there when he has to pick the others up at the closer beaches. Just my guess.

Linda

We did the Sunny Liston tour the first week of September. There were a lot of people on his tour the day we went, maybe four bus loads or more. Anyway, the bus we were on was pushing for everyone that went to the beach to go to Shapphire Beach. That is where we wanted to go so it was not a problem. But, I did hear one couple ask to go to another beach and the driver was trying to talk him into staying at Shapphire. Not sure how he made out. When we got back on the bus the driver has two of his children in school uniforms in the bus, so I found guess that he had to go pick them up from school.

The tour is worth the money, but the songs got old fast! I know that many people love them but we were ready for a little bit of quiet time when we go off the bus.

I emailed Sunny again about the "exit fee" and here is his reply:

"The $5.00 charge is what they charge us to pick up the passengers from the beach."

So, apparently Magen's Bay is now charging a total of $9.00 per person for visitors that are using taxi's. Has anyone experienced this?

That exit fee must be something new because when we went with him in June the few that chose Megan's Bay only had to pay the entrance fee to use the beach but didn't pay Sunny any sort of exit fee.

This is the response I got from another excursion company:

The entrance fee to get in Magen's Bay is $4.00 per person. Magen's Bay

Authority charges all drivers ($5.00 A Day) to pick up passenger from the

beach. If you should have any more questions, please don't hesitate to let

us know. We are committed to make your day in Paradise the best it can be.

We greatly appreciate your business and look forward to assisting you.

Air Force 1 Fun Tours

That being said, if the whole bus wants to go, it should only cost 5 dollars for everyone not per individual if I am reading this correctly. Ask Sunny Liston about that.

Linda

I have no doubt that Sunny is an honest man. But, the same Private Tour through another company and a tad cheaper, no money up front. That made the difference for us. I would have to pay in advance, then collect from everyone (certainly not worried about that) but if bad weather or no port stop, then I have to start giving it back:eek: Now it becomes a PITA.

That was the only reason we did not go with Sunny. His cancellation policy was you could cancel 2 days ahead of time (we would be in the middle of the Carib) or no stopping in Port. I had not problem with that.

He did not say anything about the weather to me at the time.

Northender

Do you mind me asking who did you book yours thru? When do you go?

Archived