Cruise Critic Community
Please look for and post on existing COVID-19 threads before posting a new one.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CruisinNana

Binoculars in cabins on Maasdam?

Knowing binoculars are really important in whale watching territory, does anyone know for sure if binoculars are in S suites on Maasdam? I would really like to leave that extra weight at home since the airlines are very strict now about weighing suitcases and mine is always at the limit!! :D

Thanks,

Dee

Yes....I know for sure we had binoculars in our "S" Suite on Maasdam last month.

Sail, I have a newbie question....the binoculars provided in the S category, do you know if they are for on board use only or can they be used on shore excursions as well.

Thanks,

Erlene

They are intended for on board use but I would imagine if you spoke with the Concierge and told her you wished to bring them ashore, she most likely would grant permission. So long as you promise to safely return them.... ;)

I hope you love that ship as much as I do.

Have a wonderful time....Enjoy every minute aboard. She has a great crew.

(....please take care of "MY" beautiful Maasdam. :) )

If you book shore excursions that take you on the whale watching boats, binnoculars are provided - at least they were on our whale watching excursions both in Sitka and Juneau.

We have seen people take the suite binnoculars off the ship to use ashore.

Just remember to bring them back - if you lose them - you pay for them.

I hope you love that ship as much as I do.

Have a wonderful time....Enjoy every minute aboard. She has a great crew.

(....please take care of "MY" beautiful Maasdam. :) )

I promise to leave it in perfect condition and wish you could sail with us. Would love to meet you and your husband! Stay well!!!!

Dee

Nana, simply hang those binoculars around your neck. They may weigh the luggage, but fortunately they don't weigh us!!!!!!!

Bev

Murphy Hi '52

Mobile, AL

CruisinNana....I'd be so happy to meet you as well. Hopefully, some day on one 'dam' ship or another. Maybe on "MY" Maasdam one of these days.... :)

Grandma Bev, I fear the day when the airlines weigh the passengers, and who knows, it may happen one day. It reminds me of the time several years ago when I rented snow skis and they had to know your weight and then they called your weight out in a loud voice to the people in the back handing out the skis. I told the guy if he yelled out my weight, he would be dead, and even though there is not a violent bone in my body, I think I would have given him a piece of my (fat) mind!!!! He did not yell out my weight; he politely went to the back and got my skis for me. Ahhh, what a relief!

Sail - thanks for your good wishes. I have been on the Maasdam before with my sister, but my husband and brother-in-law and sister-in-law who are traveling with me this time have only been on the Oosterdam. I hope they are not disappointed in being on a ten-year-old ship since they have only traveled on a brand new ship and were quite impressed with the Oo. I know they will like the size of the Maasdam in comparison; I just hope the cabins are in good shape.

Dee

Nana,

We sailed on the Maasdam 1½ years ago on a jazz cruise, and she was gorgeous. Unlike me, she didn't show her age. That week we were "stuck" with the grammy-winning Count Basie Orchestra and about 50 other musicians. What a blast.

We're doing the Ryndam Christmas cruise with our Birmingham children - she's 10, but I'm sure HAL has maintained hr.

Happy cruising.

Bev

Nana,

We sailed on the Maasdam 1½ years ago on a jazz cruise, and she was gorgeous. Unlike me, she didn't show her age. That week we were "stuck" with the grammy-winning Count Basie Orchestra and about 50 other musicians. What a blast.

We're doing the Ryndam Christmas cruise with our Birmingham children - she's 10, but I'm sure HAL has maintained hr.

Happy cruising.

Bev

Grandma Bev, I hope you enjoy your cruise with your grandchild from Birmingham. We are from Montgomery....just about 90 miles from Birmingham. We took our children and grandchildren on a cruise a year ago, and it was absolutely the best family time together. I know you will have a wonderful time.

Dee

Nana, the "children" are daughter and her husband. The "children" are in their late 40's! She's a TA in Bham. We travel together a lot.

Nice meeting you. Give me a holler sometime.

bevdean@netzon.net.

P.S. just realized I referred to a 10-year-old. That was the Ryndam!!!!!

'nite.

Oh. I am so excited for you. You will love the Maasdam. She is truly a beautiful lady. Hope you see lots of whales and have a wonderful time.

Nana, the "children" are daughter and her husband. The "children" are in their late 40's! She's a TA in Bham. We travel together a lot.

Nice meeting you. Give me a holler sometime.

bevdean@netzon.net.

P.S. just realized I referred to a 10-year-old. That was the Ryndam!!!!!

'nite.

Hi Grandma Bev! So sorry I misread your note. Of course, you meant the ship when referring to a 10-year old!!!!! Enjoy your family time with your adult children! Isn't it nice to have children as friends/traveling companions as well as your personal TA!!

Dee

Oh. I am so excited for you. You will love the Maasdam. She is truly a beautiful lady. Hope you see lots of whales and have a wonderful time.

Thanks, Carol. Seeing the whales will definitely be a highlight of the trip! Thanks for the good wishes.

I am going to begin some serious packing today since we are leaving Thursday for Montreal. I am going to try VERY HARD to pack lightly and enjoy the cleaning/laundry service on board the Maasdam. If I actually end up packing lightly, it will be the first time in my life even though I try very hard every time I pack. Somehow at the last minute, I panic and throw in a couple more outfits....just in case, and I end up just taking those outfits on a nice trip and bringing them home untouched! :D Oh, well.

Dee