Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

borfaloo

Amsterdam 8/29 1st time cruise

Hi there all,

My wife and I along with my in laws will be on the 8/29 Amsterdam sailing.
I have a question for you all...

Up to this week HAL's website was showing availability on most catagory staterooms. I just checked today and nothing is available..so I did the immigration form thing and we have been given a stateroom # which is fine with me, it is the catagory I paid for and expected ( NN cheapest on the vessel). My question is as there were only two of this cabin type on the entire ship and they were showing as available for ever..did someone get get a visit from the upgrade fairy.. Did I preclude this visit by getting assigned a stateroom # when the TA booked our cruise?

I suffer with sleep apnea and use a cpap machine to get a good nights rest.
Do you forsee any challenges with bringing this item onboard?

Also I just want to let you know that this board has been the best vacation planner I could ever have hoped for.:)

Sean

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=blue]Sean-[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=blue][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=blue] I feel sure you all will love the Amsterdam. As far as your cpap machine goes, does it have an oxygen bottle attached??? If it does you might contact HAL about their requirements, as I remember reading something in the fine print about oxygen cannisters. If you booked through a Travel Agent, they should be able to get some answers from HAL for you!!! Best of Luck!:cool: [/color][/size][/font]

It sounds as if you booked a specific cabin, as opposed to a "guarantee". If that's the case you almost guaranteed you would not get an upgrade. HAL assumes that when you book a particular cabin that you know what you want. You have to have your TA mark your file that you will accept an upgrade to be considerd for one in that case.

As far as the CPAP goes, I use one. Never had any type of problem bringing it, or using it, on any of HAL's ships. Be aware that there is (usually) only one electrical outlet in the cabin; you will not be able to charge batteries, etc, overnight unless you bring an insert (I forget what they're called) to allow more plugs.
You may want to bring your own extension cord; (I don't, usually; the steward gets one for me). Once the steward even taped the extension along the wall so it stayed out of the way!
If you use a humidifier you can ask the steward to bring boiled water so you don't have to lug distilled. Actually, I've used plain tap water with no problem.
He can also get you vinegar, etc, if you need to clean it during your cruise.

You have chosen a wonderful cruise on a beautiful ship. Have a great time.

[font=Comic Sans MS][color=blue][b]Have been on the Amsterdam - what a wonderful ship.[/b][/color][/font]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=#0000ff][/color][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=#0000ff]She is the most beautiful of all HAL ships - IMO.[/color][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=#0000ff][/color][/font][/b]

[quote name='borfaloo']I suffer with sleep apnea and use a cpap machine to get a good nights rest.
Do you forsee any challenges with bringing this item onboard?[/QUOTE]
Your CPAP will be fine, but bring an extension chord as outlets are not plentiful....

Sean, the Amsterdam is so great I would cruise on her even if I had to sleep in the bilge. :cool: